• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) 2007

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I couldn't find a thread for this competition... (mind you the search excluded the words air, new and cup for 'being too short' 8-) )

Anyway, some interesting results yesterday. Taranaki were lucky to get over the line against a determined Tasman team.

Wellington DEMOLISHED a woeful Otago team... possibly the worst team that has represented Otago on paper (I bet Voltman's loving it out there!!). Weepu showed what the 'canes will miss if he goes to League with a commanding performance.

Bay of Plenty vs Canterbury on at the moment, offering an intreguing test. BoP are a much better team than the TAB are suggesting, giving them a 22 point head start yesterday. Fancied a bet on that one.

Oh, and in another mis-match in the first round, Manawatu got thumped by Waikato... but Manawatu gave them a few scares - even scoring the first try.

Could be that one of the smaller teams (Northland, Southland, Tasman, Hawke's Bay, Manawatu, Counties-Manukau) could give Otago a pasting this year.

Perm

I watched most of the Otago game and they were absolutely woeful, such poor body position by the forwards and the backs need to learn how to tackle properly. Shannon Paku's try was one of the softest I've seen, it was a great run but the defence was ordinary.

Southland to dominate the competition.

HeathDavisSpeed

Southland to dominate the competition.
I'm hoping you're being more than a little tongue-in-cheek there. Southland have a good chance at upsetting some of the more 'famous' North Island teams. Taranaki look pretty weak this year and Waikato didn't look as dominant as you'd expect against Manawatu.

Wellington surprised me though - even when they played well last year, they didn't run away with any games. They ran away with it last night without even reaching top gear. Should be some good games against Waikato and Auckland.

Senio just gone off with a gash to the head. On comes Andy Ellis... Let's see if you're better than Piri!!

Perm

I'm hoping you're being more than a little tongue-in-cheek there. Southland have a good chance at upsetting some of the more 'famous' North Island teams. Taranaki look pretty weak this year and Waikato didn't look as dominant as you'd expect against Manawatu.
It was a tongue in cheek comment, but I do fancy their chances. Just a shame they won't have the service of some of their big names from last season.

It's amazing how many good young players that Canterbury can keep producing, Steven Yates, Stephen Brett, Kieran Read, Michael Patterson etc.

HeathDavisSpeed

Southland in trouble against Hawke's Bay at half time. 13-20. Some great counter-attacking footie from the Bay. Massively outperforming my expectations, though hardly a player survives from their dreadful 2006 campaign!

I think Southland will have too mach in the second half, but would have been a good bet on the half-time score! $12 maybe...

Perm

Ugh, Southland need to learn to hang onto the ball. They've thrown passes that they didn't need to and their ball control has been poor. In saying that, Hawkes Bay have played some good footy and counter-attacked well. They have a good side and I expect them to do fairly well, unfortunately they fell short of my expctations last year.

HeathDavisSpeed

I did NOT expect that.

On paper, with Cowan, Dermody and T-'Bone', Southland should have waltzed away with that game. Hawke's Bay were very impressive though - some great work from Shoemark (or however you spell it) with his fancy little kicks through the Southland defence, but the locals must be going home from that game very disappointed. Not looking too hot for anyone South of Oamaru this weekend.

Perm

Jason Schumach, class player. I've rated him for a while now but he hasn't really had the chance to shine in top level football.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am chuffed that my Team Counties Steelers finally managed to get some points by drawing with North Harbour. Would have been better if they had won , but at least they have risen from being the cellar dwellers!!:laugh:

Go Counties !! Come on !!

HeathDavisSpeed

North Harbour not looking too hot this year; draws against Northland and Counties won't serve them well. Surely they can't hold onto the Shield for too long in this kind of form!!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Counties lost again -this time to Waikato. :ph34r:

I have to seriously consider stopping following NPC and Counties, if they keep on losing:@ ....:ph34r:

HeathDavisSpeed

Bit harsh, Jason. You surely didn't expect Counties to beat Waikato. They did bloody well to hold out at 8 - 8 for so long.

Auckland beating Southland wasn't a surprise, but the margin flatters Auckland. I tell you, David Smith will be bloody brilliant when he's a bit older. The acceleration of the guy is amazing.

Taranaki & Otago playing out a pretty dull, uninspiring game at the moment.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Bit harsh, Jason. You surely didn't expect Counties to beat Waikato. They did bloody well to hold out at 8 - 8 for so long.

Auckland beating Southland wasn't a surprise, but the margin flatters Auckland. I tell you, David Smith will be bloody brilliant when he's a bit older. The acceleration of the guy is amazing.

Taranaki & Otago playing out a pretty dull, uninspiring game at the moment.
Perhaps, but if they lost to any of Northland, Southland, Tasman, Bay of Plenty then I will stop following them. :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Counties lost again on Thursday to Hawkes Bay.

But Ranfurtly Shield has headed south to Waikato.

Can't believe that Counties are the only Team never to hold the Ranfurly Shield ever !!

I hope that one of Northland, Southland, Tasman or Bay of Plenty or Manawatu take the shield of Waikato -then hopefully Counties can beat them and take the Shield off them....I will keep dreaming for a while....:laugh:

Perm

As expected Waikato took the Ranfurly Shield off North Harbour, but I wasn't expecting them to inflict that much damage. First challenge against Canterbury next week, should be an absolute cracker of a game.

Southland played really well against Northland I thought, even if the scorecard didn't really reflect that. Passes were going to hand and we were keeping the ball alive during the tackle, one of the best performances I've seen from a Southland team in a while.

Perm

Awesome win for Southland, feels good to knock over our big brother. Canterbury were on fire in the first half of the Shield game against Waikato, Stephen Brett is a superstar.