• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Air New Zealand Cup (NPC) 2007

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
****! I missed the Shield game... Too busy drinking with a mate from Hastings after they beat Manawatu.... He needed to drown his sorrows after seeing the Magpies captain carried off the field...

Can't believe I missed the shield game... Bloody idiot.

Wellington vs Southland next week then it seems. Fancy your chances, Perm?

Perm

If we play like we did against North Harbour then we haven't got a chance. I think we'll have them up front, our forwards will be too drilled and tight for them. They've got class in the backs though, and I can see Ma'a Nonu running over us everytime he gets the ball. Still, I'm hopeful.

I missed the Manawatu-Hawkes Bay game, what happened to Danny Lee?

HeathDavisSpeed

Ma'a is very hit and miss though. You'll be in trouble if he's on song, and Wellington have been in decent form of late (though the referee ruined the BoP game last night). At least you have a chance against Wellington.... Can't see anyone beating Auckland now though... Otago could have a chance against Canterbury. If Waikato have shown anything in the last few weeks its that its hard to bounce back from losing the Shield.

Danny Lee.... Well, I'm not too sure what exactly happened. The Bay's number 6 was caught in a crunching tackle, and Lee went into the developing ruck, but Manawatu pushed over the top, Lee was on his knees and pushed backwards so that his calves and hammies were touching. Looked as if he'd torn ankle ligaments to me... Doubt he'll be taking the field against the Mooooooooooloooooooooos next week, sadly. I'd love to see the Magpies knock out the cowbell crew.

Perm

Ma'a is very hit and miss though. You'll be in trouble if he's on song, and Wellington have been in decent form of late (though the referee ruined the BoP game last night). At least you have a chance against Wellington.... Can't see anyone beating Auckland now though... Otago could have a chance against Canterbury. If Waikato have shown anything in the last few weeks its that its hard to bounce back from losing the Shield.

Danny Lee.... Well, I'm not too sure what exactly happened. The Bay's number 6 was caught in a crunching tackle, and Lee went into the developing ruck, but Manawatu pushed over the top, Lee was on his knees and pushed backwards so that his calves and hammies were touching. Looked as if he'd torn ankle ligaments to me... Doubt he'll be taking the field against the Mooooooooooloooooooooos next week, sadly. I'd love to see the Magpies knock out the cowbell crew.
That's true, and I'm glad he's not in the All Blacks. He's still a big, strong lad though, and that should be enough against the Southland backline. I'm hoping that our forwards really lay a solid platform though, and our backs play sensible rugby. I don't think Otago will come anywhere near Canterbury, we just don't have the quality over the park, although I really rate Brett Mather, have you seen him play?

Lee's injury sounds like a shocker, it's never nice to see players bent back like that. Always feel as if their quads are going to snap TBH. Don't rate him as a halfback either, just a decent performer, but I suppose his experience is quite valued by Hawkes Bay. Don't worry, they'll hammer Waikato ;)

HeathDavisSpeed

That's true, and I'm glad he's not in the All Blacks. He's still a big, strong lad though, and that should be enough against the Southland backline. I'm hoping that our forwards really lay a solid platform though, and our backs play sensible rugby. I don't think Otago will come anywhere near Canterbury, we just don't have the quality over the park, although I really rate Brett Mather, have you seen him play?

Lee's injury sounds like a shocker, it's never nice to see players bent back like that. Always feel as if their quads are going to snap TBH. Don't rate him as a halfback either, just a decent performer, but I suppose his experience is quite valued by Hawkes Bay. Don't worry, they'll hammer Waikato ;)
I try and watch most NPC games, so yes, I have seen Mather play... I'm very impressed by the number of good young players coming through this year... even Counties have some good players.

With Lee's injury, I didn't even realise it at the time, I was still gasping at the hit that the Bay's #6 took... I thought it was him laid out on the turf. The other problem for the Bay is that Bergquist was injured, and he'd looked brilliant. The scoreline flattered the Bay though; Manawatu were all over them for about 60 minutes of the match, but couldn't penetrate the Magpie defence and hardly got into the Bay's 22. Not too impressed by the Hawkes Bay coach's inability to protect his players. He kept all his stars (relatively speaking) on the pitch DESPITE an aggressive Manawatu and Lee & Bergquist's injuries. My mate was looking through his fingers as tackle after tackle was aimed at Jason Shoemark.

Awful game though.

Thankfully for Hawkes Bay, Waikato looked decidedly average against Northland. If it hadn't been for a couple of bad breaks, Northland would have rolled them (Liam Messem's try could easily have gone the other way, a Holwell kick bouncing up sweetly for Messem as two Northland backs attacked)

Perm

I try and watch most NPC games, so yes, I have seen Mather play... I'm very impressed by the number of good young players coming through this year... even Counties have some good players.

With Lee's injury, I didn't even realise it at the time, I was still gasping at the hit that the Bay's #6 took... I thought it was him laid out on the turf. The other problem for the Bay is that Bergquist was injured, and he'd looked brilliant. The scoreline flattered the Bay though; Manawatu were all over them for about 60 minutes of the match, but couldn't penetrate the Magpie defence and hardly got into the Bay's 22. Not too impressed by the Hawkes Bay coach's inability to protect his players. He kept all his stars (relatively speaking) on the pitch DESPITE an aggressive Manawatu and Lee & Bergquist's injuries. My mate was looking through his fingers as tackle after tackle was aimed at Jason Shoemark.

Awful game though.

Thankfully for Hawkes Bay, Waikato looked decidedly average against Northland. If it hadn't been for a couple of bad breaks, Northland would have rolled them (Liam Messem's try could easily have gone the other way, a Holwell kick bouncing up sweetly for Messem as two Northland backs attacked)
Haven't bothered with a lot of games this year TBH, pretty slack of me really, there used to be a time when I would sit down and watch every minute of every game during the season. As it is, we've had so much footy lately that it just gets a bit tiresome.

Also, Jason Shoemark is a quality player, just a shame he's never been able to nail down a Super 12/14 contract, because I really beleive he would have been good enough to play consistently at that level.

HeathDavisSpeed

Not a great effort from Southland so far. They'll do well to come back from here. Great pass from Ma'a Nonu to set up Tom Harding for the last try of the half.

Perm

Nice to see Tom Harding back in NZ, always thought him and his brother had some potential.

HeathDavisSpeed

Go the Bay (H)
What a win for the Bay. Makes me feel damn good after this morning's blues. The Bay triumphed against massive adversity - 9 points down, inspirational captain Danny Lee injured. What a story!

I'd love to see a Wellington vs Hawke's Bay final - highly unlikely that may be. I certainly wouldn't be too upset if the Bay won. They've really shoved some crap back at those who wrote them off.

Perm

So who is playing who in the semi's? Can't say I've taken too much notice of the way things are going to work.

HeathDavisSpeed

Auckland vs Hawke's Bay
Cantabs vs Wellington

Wellington will get thumped away by Canterbury.
The Bay have no chance against Auckland, sadly.

The NPC will finish in the order that it deserves to finish Aucks - Cantabs - Wellington - Bay.

Its been a good year though.

HeathDavisSpeed

Ooooh! Heath was wrong. Wellington stole the game from Canterbury last night.

The talking point has to be the officiating though. The referee and linesmen were DREADFUL especially in the second half. Both Canterbury tries should have been Wellington penalties before the tries went in (knock on, and off side at the ruck). On the other hand, the Cantab #4 was Sin-binned for no reason whatsoever. Even worse than the Luke McAlister one at the world cup.

Even worse was Ma'a Nonu pushing the ball into touch, the linesman being right there and giving the line out to WELLINGTON!

Ruined the game for my mind after an excellent first half (all the crap officiating seemed to be in the 2nd half)

GO HAWKE'S BAY!

Perm

Auckland vs Wellington final, the two most exciting teams in the competition. Should be good.