• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oscar Pistorius

Langeveldt

Soutie
The "Fastest Man on no legs" who has earned the right to compete through sheer weight of performance with able bodied athletes is causing a bit of a storm at the moment in the world of Athletics..

Personally I disagree with him being able to run with able bodied athletes.. Okay its inspirational, but the credibility of a sport shouldn't be compromised for the sake of one man.. I can see his "blades" being a real advantage, and with the advances in technology that are so apparent, how long is it going to be before someone can make an artificial leg that can outrun a human one? Why is that fair?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Personally don't think he should be able to race with able-bodied people due to the advantages of that system.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Saw his race yesterday, and his interview afterwards. ****'s got a big mouth. Doesn't know his place. I have no opinions myself on him racing with able bodied people. If he can and he's allowed, good luck to him, but someone needs to shut him up.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
From how I understand the situation (his old school is at the end of my street and everyone seems to know him) is that he gains no advantage and is in fact at a disadvantage compared to able-bodied athletes.

However, I wouldnt let him run as it suddenly opens up a can of worms. Currently there is a clearly defined line about what is allowed or not. If he is allowed to compete then any future athlete must be judged on a case by case basis and from a nice, clear, orderly situation there becomes a mess over what is allowed and Im sure there will be court cases in the future with other athletes with different issues who have not been allowed to compete.

Also, he is never going to be able to be close to competetive with his times so really any invites he gets to events will be mainly for the 'news' appeal rather than any sporting reason.

On a seperate note. He trains really hard and is damn quick and he is someone to admire and respect.

Langeveldt

Soutie
I'm not sure how you can tell if he gains an advantage or not.. I mean, nobody has seen him run with a real pair of legs, so how can you tell what he is capable (or not) of?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Well i read in the paper (the sunday Times) that some sports institute did some analysing and found that his 100m split times acctualy get quicker whereas able bodied athletes run slower towards the end, this apparently is due to the energy returns from having carbon fibre legs.

Meaning no dis respect to the guy, but i think it'd be utterly ridiculous if he was allowed to compete as he's got carbon fibre for lower legs and everyone else has working muscles, it's just not right.

Perm

Well it is a very inspirational case I don't think he should be allowed to race with able bodied athletes, I mean we have the Paralympics for a reason.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Also, he is never going to be able to be close to competetive with his times so really any invites he gets to events will be mainly for the 'news' appeal rather than any sporting reason.
Tend to agree with that comment, it'd turn into something like Michelle Wie playing in the mens golfing arena despite clearly not being good enough.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Well it is a very inspirational case I don't think he should be allowed to race with able bodied athletes, I mean we have the Paralympics for a reason.
I agree, in some cases it is a huge disadvantage but in others it is actually an advantage - definitely not a level playing field.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let him run if his times justify it. At the moment they do not & he's being given a place in the "A" finals of athletics meetings becuase of the (undoubted) novelty value.

He's merely an exceptional paralympian. If his blades were such a big advantage he wouldn't consistently whip the arses of other disabled athletes who use them too.

Fiery

Banned
So why let him compete if he's not allowed to win?
He wants to compete. Let him compete. He's not going to seriously start beating the best able-bodied runners anyway without technical improvements to his prosthetic limbs. Maybe a rule where he has to race with the ones he got now

Last edited:

Piper

International Captain
I think he should be able to run against able-bodied athletes. He has beaten everyone in his events and have three world records in 100m, 200m, and 400m. I think he should be able to run, if the IAAF have a problem with his blades why don't they do what they do with the pole vault? The pole has to fit into regulations set by the IAAF so they should be able to do that with his blades. If the pole vaulters didn't have the pole they wouldn't be able to pole vault. If Oscar didn't have his blades he wouldn't be able to run.

Matteh

I think able-bodied athletes should participate in the paralympics, because they would beat everyone in those events and could set new paralympic records.

Point is, you can't merge the two without problems. Same with Mens/Female competitions, look how awful Sorenstam is in Men's golf.

open365

I think he should be able to run against able-bodied athletes. He has beaten everyone in his events and have three world records in 100m, 200m, and 400m. I think he should be able to run, if the IAAF have a problem with his blades why don't they do what they do with the pole vault? The pole has to fit into regulations set by the IAAF so they should be able to do that with his blades. If the pole vaulters didn't have the pole they wouldn't be able to pole vault. If Oscar didn't have his blades he wouldn't be able to run.

Yes but everyone in the pole vault has a pole, i'm pretty sure Pistorius would be the only guy running on carbon fibre limbs.

open365

I think able-bodied athletes should participate in the paralympics, because they would beat everyone in those events and could set new paralympic records.

Point is, you can't merge the two without problems. Same with Mens/Female competitions, look how awful Sorenstam is in Men's golf.
Anyone remember the Mexican basketball team?