• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What the hell is Bahnz talking about LMAO
I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt and say it was trolling because it was utterly bizarre posting from darlingface.

There's this weird dichotomy in casual boxing fans right now. They either buy the Hearn/Matchroom hype or they want to fellate Tyson Fury. There's nothing in between.

There was a period where Joshua could legitimately be seen as a hype job...before he KOed Wlad and then fought pretty much everyone in the top 10 and unified 3/4 belts. There was a period when Fury had legitimately achieved amazing things like dethroning a 10 year heavyweight champ...before he mysteriously disappeared while his lawyers worked tirelessly to silence a public agency with a limited budget who had caught him cheating.

It's possible to be critical and praising of both guys without buying into either of their bull**** stories. I can admire Canelo as a fighter while still recognising the blatantly obvious ducking/waiting for GGG to show signs of fading and also his dodgy scorecards.

There's a reason Fury is so dismissive of Usyk - pretending he'd never heard of the guy, dismissing him as too small etc etc. It's the same reason he became such good "friends" with Joseph Parker. He recognises guys with styles that match up poorly with his and tries to ensure he won't have to fight them (not saying he wouldn't beat Parker, I think he would, but the style match up is not as favourable as when he's fighting slower, less athletic guys). Fury is a marvelous boxer and as a boxing fan I simply want to see him fight the best. I would love to see him fight Usyk and/or AJ.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Here's Fury fighting a borderline top 15 heavyweight with a modicum of athleticism and skill (i.e. someone that knows how to work a double jab to get inside and work the body early).

Isn't it interesting how suddenly he doesn't look like such a masterful boxer?

Look, Fury is a very good heavyweight with a lot of skill and toughness and knows how to win. I just hate this narrative that he's head and shoulders above the rest of the division when he has 2 wins over beltholders and in two weeks is gonna be the first time he's ever defended a belt.

It's not how boxing works. You don't get credit for fights you haven't had.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fury's a weird fighter. I mean stylistically, his myriad personality tics, quirks and flaws are a matter of record and have no doubt been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.

He somehow manages to look (IMHO, obvz) incredibly awkward and clumsy at times, yet also manages to be a skilled and technical boxer. I guess being 6' 9" with a wingspan that would embarrass an albatross doesn't lend itself to looking as smooth as silk, but some of the combos he throws look ugly AF and is something of a slapper. Definitely not in Joshua's league as a concussive puncher, never mind Wilder's.

Not convinced Usyk would be a great match up for him, I think Fury (or a switched on version thereof) might have too much for Usyk, but really don't think it'd be pretty to watch.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Fury's a weird fighter. I mean stylistically, his myriad personality tics, quirks and flaws are a matter of record and have no doubt been discussed ad nauseam elsewhere.

He somehow manages to look (IMHO, obvz) incredibly awkward and clumsy at times, yet also manages to be a skilled and technical boxer. I guess being 6' 9" with a wingspan that would embarrass an albatross doesn't lend itself to looking as smooth as silk, but some of the combos he throws look ugly AF and is something of a slapper. Definitely not in Joshua's league as a concussive puncher, never mind Wilder's.

Not convinced Usyk would be a great match up for him, I think Fury (or a switched on version thereof) might have too much for Usyk, but really don't think it'd be pretty to watch.
Agreed. I just don't think Fury ever makes the fight. It's excuse after excuse from him.

If we do see the fight I suspect Fury, knowing how to pull off a win, will use Wlad vs Povetkin tactics. Using his size and weight to clinch and lie all over him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Fury not looking in great shape for the Wilder fight. Obviously he’s never looked like an adonis, but his conditioning is way more like the first Wilder fight than the second. A lot of people have written Wilder off, but I wouldn’t be so sure. Fury won’t have the same element of surprise this time, nor does he seem to have the same motivation for it. At the same time, Wilder’s conduct over the past year does make me wonder if he’s going into the fight with the right mindset. The way he’s been clutching at every possible conspiracy theory for why he lost (heavy costume, water spiked, disloyal trainer, Fury tampered with his gloves, Fury loaded his gloves, etc) makes me think he might not be focusing enough on what he did wrong and what changes need to be made.

Would probably back Fury but wouldn’t be at all surprised if Wilder gets a knockout, he landed a couple of scary looking right hands in the first fight before Fury knocked out his equilibrium in the third round.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fury not looking in great shape for the Wilder fight. Obviously he’s never looked like an adonis, but his conditioning is way more like the first Wilder fight than the second. A lot of people have written Wilder off, but I wouldn’t be so sure. Fury won’t have the same element of surprise this time, nor does he seem to have the same motivation for it. At the same time, Wilder’s conduct over the past year does make me wonder if he’s going into the fight with the right mindset. The way he’s been clutching at every possible conspiracy theory for why he lost (heavy costume, water spiked, disloyal trainer, Fury tampered with his gloves, Fury loaded his gloves, etc) makes me think he might not be focusing enough on what he did wrong and what changes need to be made.

Would probably back Fury but wouldn’t be at all surprised if Wilder gets a knockout, he landed a couple of scary looking right hands in the first fight before Fury knocked out his equilibrium in the third round.
For all his apparent craziness, Fury is very smart

Unless he’s had a relapse, I am sure that he’s prepared

social

Just watching replay of 2nd fight

Wilder walked backwards with hands down and chin in the air from the start

Fury was a class above

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Just watching replay of 2nd fight

Wilder walked backwards with hands down and chin in the air from the start

Fury was a class above
Even though Wilder looked OK the first two rounds, he was biting on Fury's feints right from the beginning.

If he has a chance in this fight he needs to
- not react so much to Fury's feints or find a way to not get fixed by them
- Step back on angles to the right so that Fury doesn't just easily land that 1-2 straight down the line
- Not let Fury clinch at all

It is a tough ask for someone who's not really showed strong boxing abilities in his career.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This undercard is fantastic btw, been enjoying these fights. Hernandez deserved that win over J-rock.

Thought Coceres won a close fight with the hype-job Berlanga but got robbed on the cards.

social

Even though Wilder looked OK the first two rounds, he was biting on Fury's feints right from the beginning.

If he has a chance in this fight he needs to
- not react so much to Fury's feints or find a way to not get fixed by them
- Step back on angles to the right so that Fury doesn't just easily land that 1-2 straight down the line
- Not let Fury clinch at all

It is a tough ask for someone who's not really showed strong boxing abilities in his career.
Agreed

Wilder has been outboxed for lengthy periods in a few fights and pulled them out with his power

Anyway, my money is on another Fury stoppage as I don’t think that Wilder has ever come to terms with his first defeat

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed

Wilder has been outboxed for lengthy periods in a few fights and pulled them out with his power

Anyway, my money is on another Fury stoppage as I don’t think that Wilder has ever come to terms with his first defeat
Yeah. Worse than that, he's piled so much pressure on himself with all these conspiracy theories and then the weird, almost religious rhetoric.

Maybe it brings out the best of him or maybe he just completely implodes.

Let's see.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Solid first round Wilder but thought Fury handled the second pretty easily. Not afraid to counter Wilder's right hand, which usually puts blokes to sleep. Wilder just forgot his jab second round.

Can't believe Fury can basically take an elongated version of my dad bod into these fights and win them.

Burgey

Holy **** both blokes saved by the bell.

Wilder like a less coordinated Foreman. Just a one punch bomber. Fury benefited from a very long count end of round 4 there.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sugar Hill is such a great man to have in the corner. Even after Fury had been dropped heavily by Wilder he's encouraging him to take the fight to him.

Burgey

I wasn't going to watch this but something made me PPV it. Glad I did. Been a lot better fight than I thought it would. Tremendous heart by Wilder. he's copping plenty here.