• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a champion

To win three world titles after only having taken up the sport in his mid-twenties, and after playing elite level rugby league, is a damn fine achievement.
Interesting fight by all accounts. Could well have gone t'other fella's way apparently. Well done to Mundane anyway.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just ordered it, hoping to get a few mates round.
Hoping Haye can pull this off, would be something special.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Just ordered it, hoping to get a few mates round.
Hoping Haye can pull this off, would be something special.
Haha I'll probably just stream it, don't think any of the pubs around here are showing it. Imagine Haye will go a few rounds and then probably get KO'd tbh, like you say though, would be something special if he can pull it off.

Jarquis

Haha I'll probably just stream it, don't think any of the pubs around here are showing it. Imagine Haye will go a few rounds and then probably get KO'd tbh, like you say though, would be something special if he can pull it off.
My internet is dire, can't be dealing with buffering and pauses etc. Actually want to watch the fight. Will probably be a R1 KO now I've forked out for it :(

Jarquis

Oh and I was reading the other day... Valuev doesn't knock as many people out as you'd expect from the size of him.
Haye's the heaviest he's ever been for this fight, I think he'll put in a performance.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha, is up to Haye to bring his A game really, because if he gets hit then yes, a first round KO is exactly what we will see. The whole thing is set up like it's part of a Rocky film though, hence the whole David v Goliath thing, so it does feel quite exciting. Should be interesting no matter what happens with any luck.

social

Guys, Valuev is WOEFUL!

He wins because of size and corruption in equal measure

Haye will win if he doesnt fall over from exhaustion

If he does, he'll be about the 5th/10th best heavy in the world and make millions because he holds an alphabet title

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Boxing desperately needs a new heavyweight with credibility to come along. This pair of nonces are an embarrassment to the Title.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Guys, Valuev is WOEFUL!

If he does, he'll be about the 5th/10th best heavy in the world and make millions because he holds an alphabet title
I don't think either of us ever said contrary to this to be honest.

Jarquis

Haye. WAG.
Stole a chair from his hotel so he could be comfortable pre-fight as the facilities at the arena didn't have any soft chairs :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Boxing desperately needs a new heavyweight with credibility to come along. This pair of nonces are an embarrassment to the Title.
The Klitschkos would both be top tier Heavys at any period in history. They are on a different planet to anyone else currently. In fact Vitali is one of the most skilled, fit and active heavy I have seen. An absolute specimin.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Guys, Valuev is WOEFUL!

Woeful is very harsh. I dont think he is special but he is more than just a freak show.

He slaps his punches and doesnt have the power you may expect but he is very active for a guy his size.

In my opnion Haye should win this fight if he stays busy, moves and last the 12 rounds. However, having a game plan is different to executing one and Valuev is a pretty intimidating figure.

Saying all that, Ill not be watching this. Fedor fights tonight :)

chalky

International Debutant
The Klitschkos would both be top tier Heavys at any period in history. They are on a different planet to anyone else currently. In fact Vitali is one of the most skilled, fit and active heavy I have seen. An absolute specimin.
Would rate the Heavies of the 90's Holyfield, Bowe Lewis & Tyson ahead of both Klitschkos. Reckon Vitali would be competative but Wlad's chin would let him down.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: For a minute there I thought you were serious.

chalky

International Debutant
Just watching the Haye Undercard now as shown me that one of the big things UFC shows has over boxing at the moment is that you get a decent card. UFC usually has 2 main events and really decent competative undercard fights faught in front of full houses who can get into the fights. The typical Boxing PPV will have the main event then sod all. The undercard's are usually 1 sided fights faught in front of empty seats. Some of the shows quite frankly are abysmal.

It wasn't always like that I remember when Frank Warren 1st started doing PPV's in the UK when Naz was all conquering it would be a standard 3 World Title fights.

Fortunately in the UK we get UFC PPV's for free & I manage to get box office events for free but if the day comes when I have to pay & choose what PPV's to watch it will be UFC all the way.

Scaly piscine

Haye has to dominate a lot more than this if he wants to win. Judges in Germany couldn't lie straight in bed.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Would rate the Heavies of the 90's Holyfield, Bowe Lewis & Tyson ahead of both Klitschkos. Reckon Vitali would be competative but Wlad's chin would let him down.
IMO, Vitali would have dismantled a prime Tyson, even if you class him as a 90s fighter (which I wouldnt). Too technical, too big, too skilled and his jab would have just demoralized Tyson. He would have had no trouble with Bowe either.

Tyson-Wladimir would have been a hell of a fight. Id give the edge to Tyson (for the reason you mention) but I doubt he would have fought an athlete with the size, speed and power of Wlad. Would be a barnstormer.

The one I will agree with you is Lewis. I think Lewis is often underappreciated by some due to his style. He is possibly a top 5 heavyweight of all time. He has an amazing resume.

Vitali and Wlad are a class apart from anything else around at the moment. Im not saying current Heavies are amazing just that these guys are special.