• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Decent test for Jermall Charlo this weekend vs Derevyanchenko. Obviously I rate Derevyanchenko as a very good middleweight but I also think stylistically it's very good matchmaking for Charlo so long as he can keep him on the outside. I also think the matchmakes may be banking on some years having been taken off Dereveyanchenko's career in that GGG fight which was absolutely brutal.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Also very excited to watch Briedis vs Dorticos. Picking Briedis but he'll have to be damn on point because Dorticos can be pretty scary.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
man just revisiting this...crazy fight. disappointing that Gassiev hasn't fought since Usyk embarrassed him...

Niall

International Coach
Usyk is the dude, but if you can't dominate Chisora in 2020 then he has no business in the ring with the likes of Joshua, Fury and possibly Wilder.

Tbf if Whyte wins the rematch v Povetkin, then that could be a good fight for him and he could get a lovely payday against one of the three above, but he won't be winning.

Also ,,murder.

Twas a fun fight for the 6 rounds it was on, Inoue also on at the same time!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Counter uppercut sleepers seems to be the theme of 2019/2020.

Also kinda disagree re:Usyk. He won that fight easily, UK judges are weird. He was never gonna knock Chisora out but he had him hurt a couple of times.

Joshua/Fury may prove too big (especially Fury) but let's remember that Fury's toughest fight was against a cruiserweight far less talented than Usyk.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Counter uppercut sleepers seems to be the theme of 2019/2020.

Also kinda disagree re:Usyk. He won that fight easily, UK judges are weird. He was never gonna knock Chisora out but he had him hurt a couple of times.

Joshua/Fury may prove too big (especially Fury) but let's remember that Fury's toughest fight was against a cruiserweight far less talented than Usyk.
Yeah

Chisora hardly won a round in my book

Plodding forward & missing is not effective aggression

Usyk hasn’t fought in a year & looked rusty

Joshua & Wilder will need to knock him out as there’s no way they outbox him

Fury is a bit different & huge

Niall

International Coach
Utter mismatch Crawford and Brook. Less said about the Maloney fight the better.

The ladies main event in the UK was a cool idea, but without sounding like a pig, it wasn't a great spectacle 3 one sided ladies fight in a row that only one did not go the distance. Taylor is elite and probably the best sportsperson Ireland has ever produced, I do wonder does she now seek a gimmick fight with Cyborg or even Nunes? Money would be fantastic.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Tyson v Jones Jr on Saturday. Awful idea. There’s still doubt over whether there’ll be scoring or if they’re allowed to go for a knockout. 4 two minute rounds and 12oz gloves.

Niall

International Coach
Is it not 8 rounds?

Still horrific and its on PPV.:D

More interested in Dubois v Joyce, hype train going to go in serious overdrive if Dubois finishes him early.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can get 3/1 on Joyce. Good value, IMHO.

Pretty rare we see two unbeaten heavyweights meet so early on in their careers.

Joyce might be over a decade older, but he's a young 35 in boxing terms. As one understands he didn't set foot in a gym until his early twenties.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Can get 3/1 on Joyce. Good value, IMHO.

Pretty rare we see two unbeaten heavyweights meet so early on in their careers.

Joyce might be over a decade older, but he's a young 35 in boxing terms. As one understands he didn't set foot in a gym until his early twenties.
Joyce confuses the hell out of me.

He has incredibly slow hands, incredibly slow feet, is not particularly hard to hit, has poor punching technique, and doesn't seem to have a supreme 1 punch KO equaliser, or any particularly notable power to speak of. His only real talent appears to be a decent chin and a very good work rate, and an ability to simply wear opponents down.

Still, he's the far more proven guy and has some decent wins on his resume including Bryant Jennings, Ustinov, and Joe Hanks - all 3 of whom are better than anyone Dubois has fought. And that's without mentioning the amateur pedigree which is far more illustrious than Dubois'. Dubois looks the goods but so did Bryant Jennings before he was found out by old man Ortiz. For all we know it could be the same thing. As far as records go this is almost a mismatch.

So yeah, fair to say there's value in Joyce. Dunno though, not sure if I'd bet on him. He just does not look very good.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Canelo is gonna murder him. Smith is a perfect style match up for him IMO. Food.
With that said the size difference is going to be insane, now that I think about it. Smith is even bigger than Kovalev isn't he? Like 6'3 or something? Canelo probably around 5'7. Smith doesn't really use his size but when the difference is that great there's something to be said for keeping a good jab going...no way you win a decision against Canelo though...who knows could be fun

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Jesus I know Joyce won that first round but his hands are slow as molasses and he is sooooooo open to the counter...just leaves his whole body right out there after he throws a punch.