• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think Wilder's by far the least technically accomplished of the big three (understandable given, as one believes, he didn't lace up boxing gloves until he was already in his twenties), but he has a monster dig (possibly the most concussive heavyweight puncher I've seen, certainly since Foreman 2.0, who retained a whack well into middle age) and good stamina, so I'd be seriously giving him a swerve too if cash is one's primary concern.

The heavyweight scene is weird just now. The great plus is we have three unbeaten current or former world champions active at the same time, which I think is unprecedented (it may've technically happened in the 80s before Tyson KO'd Michael Spinks and the WBO title was very much the ginger stepchild of the 4 main belts, in fact the WBC used to require any claimants to its belt give their WBO belt up as a condition for challenging for theirs, but I'm pretty sure this is the first time we've had three serious unbeaten champions ever), but the downside is there's a real big ****ing drop off after Messrs Fury, Joshua and Wilder, especially now Usyk is broken and none of their respective handlers show much serious interest in making the fights we want to see.

For my quid Fury is the best boxer of the three, but doesn't have heavy hands for a chap of his size, so is likely to have to have serious wars with either of the others and always has the risk of getting tagged. Plus, y'know, he be crazy too and hasn't always looked after himself.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Crikey, didn't see that coming. Ruiz thoroughly deserved that. Joshua didn't want to know in the end - got his arse handed to him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve never considered that there was much true greatness amongst the current crop of heavyweights despite their records.
Didn’t see Joshua losing that though and he’d probably win a rematch.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2 best hws are a fit Fury & Usyk if he can take a punch

Their skill levels are way above with the only equaliser being Wilder’s power

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I’ve never considered that there was much true greatness amongst the current crop of heavyweights despite their records.
Didn’t see Joshua losing that though and he’d probably win a rematch.
Why do you think AJ would win a rematch? He'd have to make some substantial changes because for me he lost every single round of that fight.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Controversially
Yeah, for me Ruiz won that fight comfortably.

And agree with hendrix, there’s no reason that Joshua should automatically be the favourite for a rematch. Joshua’s technical and defensive deficiencies will always make him vulnerable to a canny slugger like Ruiz. Ruiz took this fight on 5 weeks notice. He’ll be way more dangerous if given a proper training camp.

Last edited:

social

Yeah, for me Ruiz won that fight comfortably.

And agree with hendrix, there’s no reason that Joshua should automatically be the favourite for a rematch. Joshua’s technical and defensive deficiencies will always make him vulnerable to a canny slugger like Ruiz. Ruiz took this fight on 5 weeks notice. He’ll be way more dangerous if given a proper training camp.
Ruiz isn’t a slugger

He has skills but isn’t a puncher

social

Just goes to show how bad hws are atm

Ruiz is horribly overweight, just fought his 2nd 12 round fight ever and is world champion

Usyk cleans out this division

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Why do you think AJ would win a rematch? He'd have to make some substantial changes because for me he lost every single round of that fight.
I still think he’s the better boxer despite a lot of limitations and the fact he didn’t turn up for this fight. I only said he’d “probably” win a rematch. I wouldn’t put money on it
I don’t rate the current heavyweights as highly as some pundits. There’s a decent bunch who can make big fights, but radio commentators making out this is some sort of golden period of great fighters is laughable.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I still think he’s the better boxer despite a lot of limitations and the fact he didn’t turn up for this fight. I only said he’d “probably” win a rematch. I wouldn’t put money on it
I don’t rate the current heavyweights as highly as some pundits. There’s a decent bunch who can make big fights, but radio commentators making out this is some sort of golden period of great fighters is laughable.
AJ gets by on his physical dimensions and strength. Sorta similar to Klitschko before him, although he's less talented as a boxer than Klitschko was and probably doesn't have the same power.

I think Ruiz is actually a better boxer. The fact that he outjabbed someone 8 inches taller than him speaks volumes to that, and he held centre of the ring for most of the fight too, including the first rounds. Ruiz is probably also in a class of his own (maybe with Ortiz) as a counterpuncher.

In terms of the strength of this era - you can pick holes in any era. For sure the likes of Tyson et al look far, far better than what we're seeing from boxers today. But it's gotta be remembered that Tyson himself basically fought nobodies for most of his fights apart from a few big ones - out-of-retirement Holmes, (roided to hell) Holyfield etc. Don't get me wrong I think Tyson would walk through the current division but the point is we all have rose tinted glasses looking back. I still don't think I've seen too many heavyweights move like Tyson Fury, or hit as hard as Wilder. These guys aren't the same as the guys from the past but they may possibly form their own legacies.

But yeah Usyk could potentially put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I think Hearn is trying to use Parker as a shield from Usyk now...the same way he used Ortiz.

social

AJ gets by on his physical dimensions and strength. Sorta similar to Klitschko before him, although he's less talented as a boxer than Klitschko was and probably doesn't have the same power.

I think Ruiz is actually a better boxer. The fact that he outjabbed someone 8 inches taller than him speaks volumes to that, and he held centre of the ring for most of the fight too, including the first rounds. Ruiz is probably also in a class of his own (maybe with Ortiz) as a counterpuncher.

In terms of the strength of this era - you can pick holes in any era. For sure the likes of Tyson et al look far, far better than what we're seeing from boxers today. But it's gotta be remembered that Tyson himself basically fought nobodies for most of his fights apart from a few big ones - out-of-retirement Holmes, (roided to hell) Holyfield etc. Don't get me wrong I think Tyson would walk through the current division but the point is we all have rose tinted glasses looking back. I still don't think I've seen too many heavyweights move like Tyson Fury, or hit as hard as Wilder. These guys aren't the same as the guys from the past but they may possibly form their own legacies.

But yeah Usyk could potentially put the cat amongst the pigeons.

I think Hearn is trying to use Parker as a shield from Usyk now...the same way he used Ortiz.
Motivated Lennox blanks AJ/Wilder/Ruiz using nothing more than a jab & movement

They’re not bums

Just not very good