• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Amazing performance from Fury

He's barely fought in 3 years, a recovering drug addict, an alcoholic, made a fool out out of Wilder for at least 9 rounds and to get up after that last shot was incredible

Singlehandedly revived hw boxing

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I had Fury winning by a couple rounds but the scorecard from the Mexican judge was horrific. He gave Wilder the first 4 rounds! Hope there is a rematch and Fury doesn’t decide to ride off into the sunset, heavyweight division needs him. Credit to Jack Reiss as well, many a ref would have called that off as soon as Fury hit the canvas.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Wilder won at most 4 rounds by my reckoning (and that's including the first which was basically a coin flip from a scoring pov) he was totally outboxed. Still fair play to him, he took advantage of Fury's clowning around and those 2 knock downs did just enough to muddy the waters and allow him to get away with a draw.

The interesting thing now is what happens next. The draw will likely invalidate the rematch clause meaning Wilder can fight whoever he wants. There should obviously be a rematch, but I could easily see Wilder going off to fight a couple of easy mandatories first, or maybe even take a big money fight with AJ (who'd likely be a little more confident about handling him now).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Wilder won at most 4 rounds by my reckoning (and that's including the first which was basically a coin flip from a scoring pov) he was totally outboxed. Still fair play to him, he took advantage of Fury's clowning around and those 2 knock downs did just enough to muddy the waters and allow him to get away with a draw.

The interesting thing now is what happens next. The draw will likely invalidate the rematch clause meaning Wilder can fight whoever he wants. There should obviously be a rematch, but I could easily see Wilder going off to fight a couple of easy mandatories first, or maybe even take a big money fight with AJ (who'd likely be a little more confident about handling him now).
Wilder needs the rematch more than Fury. Wilder has always struggled for credible opponents and has never been a big draw - this was easily his biggest fight and even in his home town Fury was arguably the A side. Fury can go back and fight bums in the UK and he'll still sell out because he's pretty much cemented his legacy now.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Apparently Joseph Parker had a fight last night. Who knew?

But seriously, he looked a lot better physically than he has in a long time and brought a bit of much needed mongrel. Just a shame he's still stuck with that clueless chump Kevin Barry.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently Joseph Parker had a fight last night. Who knew?

But seriously, he looked a lot better physically than he has in a long time and brought a bit of much needed mongrel. Just a shame he's still stuck with that clueless chump Kevin Barry.
He's really quite talented but hasn't improved his conditioning at all when it's been quite clear for a long time that he gases after 5-6 rounds. Moreover he's really going to struggle to get big fights with the two losses on his record. The risk/reward for other fighters just isn't going to be there.

I'm not a fan of Duco either. Brown Buttabean? This is beneath corporate amateur level undercards. They make a big show of all their fighters getting MRIs when really that's the bare minimum that a professional outfit should be doing. And then listening to Kevin Barry talk his bull**** over and over it's bloody embarrassing.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Parker has always looked great against smaller, overmatched opponents that he can bully with his greater size into an early knock-out. Stick him in the ring with another 6'4"+ fighter who can take a punch and watch that aggression evaporate in 2 or 3 rounds.

Lot of talk of a Whyte rematch, but I can't see that happening until after Whyte is put-down by Joshua (or Chisora).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Whyte has no reason to take a rematch with Parker, Parker was lucky to get that fight in the first place and they screwed up by not preparing properly and not being aggressive enough when he could've and should've knocked Whyte out in the mid rounds. A coach with multiple fighters wouldn't be scared to give Parker the hard word and tell him to knock the dude out but Parker is Barry's only gravy train and hence lack of any significant development.

Niall

International Coach
So annoyed we have Whyte v Chisora and Frampton fighting at the same time tonight. Think its got to be Frampton though, looks a much ***ier fight on paper.

If Whyte is serious about Joshua needs to be winning comfortably tonight.

Niall

International Coach
That was domination from Warrington.

Whyte v Chisora was passable, but listening to Joshua trying to sell it as some sort of classic for even Sky was unbearable.

I'd definitely lose some respect for Joshua if he fights Whyte in April, a profitable fight maybe, but what's the point ?

Last edited:

Cow

Banned
Quite annoying that both fights are PPV! I mean White v Chisora should never be a PPV event.
Can't not be a PvP fight due to the respective payday of each fighter. And based on the numbers they did even with the Warrington/Frampton clash it was justified as a ppv event.

Whyte is too high risk / low reward for Wilder/Joshua and Fury... he will probably need to wait for the WBO and WBC to make him mandatory and call the fight before he gets his chance.. maybe around October with the WBO.

Niall

International Coach
It was a mug, but that was serious power on display from Wilder last night. Sadly I don't see any fight between the big three before the end of the year.:mellow:

Joshua still has a better all round game than Wilder, but damn can understand why Joshua's entourage don't want that fight, Wilder with that power is ****ing frightening.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
yep. he'd bulked up a bit for the fight as well, back to about 101kg which is probably still a little light but closer to his ideal weight. Given Joshua's defence isn't his strongest suit, it's a big risk to fight anybody with that kind of power.

Niall

International Coach
I'd back Joshua for that fight, but yeah its a huge risk. Joshua can easily price Wilder out of any fight for a few years and still make serious money in his backyard with easier fights...hello Mr Whyte:cool:

Wilder v Fury seems an easier fight to make and hopefully it happens in 2019.