• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Lol at those scorecards

Parker should look back on this as a lost opportunity as Joshua was incredibly limited and there for the taking
very easy for someone on the outside to say.

if parker opens up he just gives joshua, the considerably more powerful man more opportunities to land cleanly on parker.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I thought Parker clearly won the middle rounds and would have had him ahead if he worked harder in the last 3. Joshua deserves credit for coming on strong in the last 3 rounds.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Joshua was bad or particularly limited. I thought they were both very good and it was a tactical fight. Made for good viewing IMO.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he went for the long fight then never threw anything. Got tactics right but execution wrong. Maybe Joshua deserves credit for thwarting him totally.
Hmmm. Parker threw a lot of punches. Joshua has excellent defensive skills and is a decent counter puncher.

Thought Parker just needed to press the action a little more in the last quarter of the fight.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Thought it was pretty one-sided tbh, though Parker wasn't helped by the ref breaking things up every time the two fighters got in close. Reckon Parker will have a long hard road getting back into the contender ranks after this, hasn't made too many fans in either of his last 2 UK fights.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
When Usyk moves up he's taking over that whole division easier than he will cruiserweight IMO.
Don’t sleep on Gassiev. Though apparently both regardless of what happens in the final are moving to heavyweight, and both will be threats if they are matched well e.g. kept away (at the start) from any killers and put in with slow plodders like Chisora or Takam.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thought it was pretty one-sided tbh, though Parker wasn't helped by the ref breaking things up every time the two fighters got in close. Reckon Parker will have a long hard road getting back into the contender ranks after this, hasn't made too many fans in either of his last 2 UK fights.
Top Rank have something invested in Parker, so he could fight out of the US and build himself up again that way. Top Rank have Bryant Jennings and that would be a good comeback fight for Parker. They could even do Andy Ruiz 2 down the line...Only issue would be the money - Parker won’t be getting the paydays like he got in the past two fights anytime soon.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There's heaps of fights out there for Parker, it just comes down to whether he wants to fight for $500K purses when he's just earned >$10m in one night. He could fight and would be heavy favourite to beat guys like Whyte, Chysora, Jennings, Breazeale.

Reckon Pulev would be a good matchup for him, stylistically, and he could come away looking pretty sharp from that. Alternatively he could get revenge on Breazeale for KOing his stablemate Ugonoh. As I said it comes down to whether he has the desire to keep fighting for much smaller purses until he earns another title shot.

Of course, when AJ and Wilder do finally fight each other, someone is going to win and someone will lose. There will be fights around, and those will be lucrative once these guys have all fought each other, so long as Hearn allows it to happen.

Don’t sleep on Gassiev. Though apparently both regardless of what happens in the final are moving to heavyweight, and both will be threats if they are matched well e.g. kept away (at the start) from any killers and put in with slow plodders like Chisora or Takam.
Gassiev is awesome, agreed. I have come to the conclusion that Usyk will outbox him though. How good would Gassiev vs Briedis be, btw? Honestly I would actually prefer if the all stayed at cruiserweight, it's a gun division, as a fan, I don't see why they need to go up when there are much better fights at cruiserweight in all respects except for money.

I wouldn't call Takam a plodder, certainly much better than Chisora, but yeah he doesn't have elite KO power so not too dangerous.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Top Rank have something invested in Parker, so he could fight out of the US and build himself up again that way. Top Rank have Bryant Jennings and that would be a good comeback fight for Parker. They could even do Andy Ruiz 2 down the line...Only issue would be the money - Parker won’t be getting the paydays like he got in the past two fights anytime soon.
They would be stupid to take on Ruiz again IMO. I can't see Parker knocking him out or looking much better than he did last time, but I can see Ruiz getting the KO.

Ruiz Jr is going to find it very hard to get more fights. A bit like Ortiz really. Lots of risk, bugger all reward.

Actually Ortiz vs Ruiz Jr would be a great fight.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've watched the Ruiz Jr vs Parker fight several times over and there's only one round in it, and several times I saw Parker being hurt by Ruiz's sneaker overhand right on the inside. There was one occasion when he looked seriously hurt and Ruiz just didn't realise it or he could have put him out. I reckon they avoid that rematch if at all possible.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I had Ruiz winning that fight. He made Parker look very ordinary and unlike Hughie Fury, he threw as well as moved. Andy Ruiz could be marketable, he is a Mexican-American heavyweight, but he looks appalling and doesn’t talk like say a Chris Arreola, who also looked like crap but at least talked a decent game.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pretty sure I say it every time but it never gets any less true, Carl Froch is the ****ing worst. To still be the biggest **** in a commentary box that includes Pauli Malignaggi is quite a feat.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure I say it every time but it never gets any less true, Carl Froch is the ****ing worst. To still be the biggest **** in a commentary box that includes Pauli Malignaggi is quite a feat.
Froch is indeed terrible.

Pauli Malignaggi is excellent though. Need more guys like him doing commentary.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lomachenko beats up Linares for the TKO!

Was dropped by the right hand though. Come on Mikey make the fight