• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I enjoy Wilder's fights as he has so many glaring deficiencies that he is eventually forced to swing for the bleachers

There was something very dodgy about that fight e.g. scoring was ridiculous while Wilder was granted extreme leeway on rabbit punches and recovery periods

Lots of rumours going around about how the fix was in and the sport can be grateful that Wilder took it out of the judges' hands

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't think the judges' scorecards looked that bad. Wasn't a lot happening in the early rounds, so not a surprise that they're scored fairly evenly. Probably favoured Wilder a bit, but that makes sense given he's the champion and had the Crowd on his side. Then from the knock down in round 5 on they seemed pretty accurate.

Niall

International Coach
I thought that Wilder been ahead was rotten but sadly to be expected. Wilder losing would have been a disaster financially for boxing.

Its also a reminder to Parker that if his Joshua fight goes to the judges, he shouldn't waste his time hanging around for the result. Knock out or go home:)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't think the judges' scorecards looked that bad. Wasn't a lot happening in the early rounds, so not a surprise that they're scored fairly evenly. Probably favoured Wilder a bit, but that makes sense given he's the champion and had the Crowd on his side. Then from the knock down in round 5 on they seemed pretty accurate.
Ortiz clearly won the first 4 and 7th was probably a 10-8 round, and he took round 8 for me.

Dodgy scoring IMO.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Ortiz clearly won the first 4 and 7th was probably a 10-8 round, and he took round 8 for me.

Dodgy scoring IMO.
All 3 judges scored the 7th as a 10-8 to Ortiz and Ortiz winning round 8. First 4 were split even, which yeah is generous to Wilder - I probably had it 3-1 to Ortiz at that point. But again, nothing crazy.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Canelo tests positive

“What a surprise” said nobody ever
Disgusting and everyone is reporting it as "trace" levels.

**** off ****s. It's ****ing clenbuterol it's a cutting drug anyone who's been to a gym and had stupid enough friends to do that drug knows exactly what it is. It has nothing to do with the steak in Mexico.

**** off Canelo I'm no longer a fan.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
All 3 judges scored the 7th as a 10-8 to Ortiz and Ortiz winning round 8. First 4 were split even, which yeah is generous to Wilder - I probably had it 3-1 to Ortiz at that point. But again, nothing crazy.
Probably not as crazy as Joshua being ahead at the time of stoppage vs Klitschko...that was a real head-scratcher

King Pietersen

International Captain
Disgusting and everyone is reporting it as "trace" levels.

**** off ****s. It's ****ing clenbuterol it's a cutting drug anyone who's been to a gym and had stupid enough friends to do that drug knows exactly what it is. It has nothing to do with the steak in Mexico.

**** off Canelo I'm no longer a fan.
Nah mate, definitely the Mexican meat. I'm going to Mexico in June, and I'm only eating meat. If I don't come back shredded I want my money back.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tony Yoka missing three drug tests in a year and only getting a one year suspended sentence is scandalous as well.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Boxing's anti-doping laws are laughable. If something like the Canelo situation happened in the UFC there's no way that fight would be happening in 2 months; money is king in boxing. They need to get the golden snitch on board and clean boxing up.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Brock tested positive from a test that took place 10 days before the fight, the results weren't back until July 14th, and all out of competition USADA tests before that came back negative. Bit of a difference to someone testing positive 2 months out and still getting to fight; but hey, it's Cinco de Mayo, **** the rules.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Brock tested positive from a test that took place 10 days before the fight, the results weren't back until July 14th, and all out of competition USADA tests before that came back negative. Bit of a difference to someone testing positive 2 months out and still getting to fight; but hey, it's Cinco de Mayo, **** the rules.
Lesnar was given an exemption from testing until a couple of weeks before the fight. He was obviously on steroids and obviously always has been, being a professional wrestler. Both examples are disgusting, but people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

At least in boxing a good chunk of the winnings goes to the fighters.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Highlight reel KO. Browne looked awful before that and that’s him done on the world stage but if he continues, Mark de Mori or Alex Leapai are waiting.
Yeah. I never rated him TBH. Chagaev was a good win but some serious PED issues surrounding that career best performance, and even then he was getting bashed up until he landed a lucky punch.

Thing is I never rated Dillian Whyte either. Wilder would mess him up pretty bad.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
...question...because I'm somewhat wavering at the moment.

Have I been duped by Parker/Barry/Duco? Is he really at the elite level? I suppose in some respects we're always being duped by professional boxing, but what I mean is this:
- Parker is supposedly the more "skillful" - yet he didn't even qualify for the Olympics, whereas Joshua won gold, having out-competed his fellow countrymen in very tough competition to even qualify, yet alone win the gold against the world's best
- Are Parker's best wins - Takam, Ruiz and Hughie Fury - really all that great? Takam is the only real proven one out of all of them, and he was beaten up by Joshua, even if it was a dodgy stoppage. Ruiz Jr to me looks like a very, very skilful guy, but he hasn't fought since then...and to be honest it's 50/50 whether he beat Parker. Hughie Fury looks like he doesn't have the power to compete in heavyweight boxing.
- Parker's team have talked about how they were the ones that called out Joshua and wanted the fight - but it's easy to want the fight when you're fighting the cash cow of the division for a multi-million dollar payday.
- It's even easier to call out Joshua when Alexander Povetkin is about to become your mandatory. I'd much rather fight Joshua for millions than fight a dodgy cheat who has enough financial backing that he can consistently get away popping positive for PEDs.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
...question...because I'm somewhat wavering at the moment.

Have I been duped by Parker/Barry/Duco? Is he really at the elite level? I suppose in some respects we're always being duped by professional boxing, but what I mean is this:
- Parker is supposedly the more "skillful" - yet he didn't even qualify for the Olympics, whereas Joshua won gold, having out-competed his fellow countrymen in very tough competition to even qualify, yet alone win the gold against the world's best
- Are Parker's best wins - Takam, Ruiz and Hughie Fury - really all that great? Takam is the only real proven one out of all of them, and he was beaten up by Joshua, even if it was a dodgy stoppage. Ruiz Jr to me looks like a very, very skilful guy, but he hasn't fought since then...and to be honest it's 50/50 whether he beat Parker. Hughie Fury looks like he doesn't have the power to compete in heavyweight boxing.
- Parker's team have talked about how they were the ones that called out Joshua and wanted the fight - but it's easy to want the fight when you're fighting the cash cow of the division for a multi-million dollar payday.
- It's even easier to call out Joshua when Alexander Povetkin is about to become your mandatory. I'd much rather fight Joshua for millions than fight a dodgy cheat who has enough financial backing that he can consistently get away popping positive for PEDs.
He's been skillfully managed and badly coached