• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Yeah Hopkins in a different league technically still didn't do enough work to win the fight though.

A lot of people comment on how old Hopkins is but they shouldn't forget Calzaghe is 36 & about 8 years past his prime.

I still don't get this BS that Calzaghe is the greatest Super Middle Weight of all time I would take a prime Roy Jones, James Toney & even Chris Eubank over him.

I give Calzaghe credit for continuing to be successful with the state of his ****ed hands hence why only cuffs with the inside of the glove. I think he may be there for the taking in the next year or so though might be time for Carl Froch to get himself in the mix
calzaghe has the deepest resume at SMW, the only man to ever completely unify the division and become undisputed and the only man you could make favourite over him at the weight is RJJ. eubank is nowhere near calzaghe's level, not even close.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Calzaghe won on points but I agree with Hopkins, he was made to look like an amateur

Calzaghe might have landed more punches but he landed absolutely nothing of any significance and the judges seemed to hand him the title based on little slaps to the abdomen when they were in a clinch

I think the conditions of the faces at the end told the story - Calzage had welts and cuts whilst 43 year old Hopkins looked like he'd stepped out of a shower.
and.....?

ever watched pernell whitaker? do you discount his genius because he couldn't break an egg? hopkins can bitch and cry all he wants, he got outhustled and outworked. he wanted nothing of the 2002 version of calzaghe but losing to him now at the age of 43 doesn't look so bad.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
and.....?

ever watched pernell whitaker? do you discount his genius because he couldn't break an egg? hopkins can bitch and cry all he wants, he got outhustled and outworked. he wanted nothing of the 2002 version of calzaghe but losing to him now at the age of 43 doesn't look so bad.
Not that I agree with all of the writer's sentiments or think it was the worst decision in history but this writer echoes the sentiments of many of the world's most respected boxing journalists

BTW, please dont imply that Hopkins or any other fighter has ducked JC.

There's a reason why this fight didnt happen until WELL AFTER A YEAR AFTER HOPKINS RETIRED (the reason no belts were on the line is that Hopkins relinquished them when he decided to hang his gloves up).

His name is Frank Warren - the same guy who refused to let his golden goose leave home to be demolished by a prime RJJ (despite the fact that HBO were putting up all the cash) and the same guy who refused to pay a prime Hopkins an extra 3 mill to come to Wales, opting instead for him to face a garbage WBO mandatory in Cardiff.

As Calzaghe Scrapes Points Win Over Hopkins, Should The Question Be Asked - Don't The Judges Appreciate The Subtleties Any More?

20.04.08 - by James Slater: Let me start right off the bat by telling you I predicted a split decision win for Joe Calzaghe last night. Let me also tell you that I do not believe he deserved this winning result he actually got from the judges after his 12 rounds with Bernard Hopkins in Las Vegas last night. No, the result was far from an outrageous one, but at the same time it made me ask the question, what do judges look at as their priority when scoring a boxing contest these days?

Yes, Joe was the man coming forward, and he was the man with more aggression on his mind. But what about the masterful Hopkins' ability to control both the pace and the majority of the movement in the ring, his superbly delivered counter-punches - with the right hand mostly - and his superb defensive moves? As Hopkins said after the fight, he made Calzaghe look like an amateur at times. Are the subtleties of ring craft being disregarded by today's scoring officials? I think they were last night. Hopkins fought a near masterpiece. And the 43-year-old is not getting this praise simply due to his advanced age.

Hopkins made Calzaghe look a completely different fighter than normal. Joe looked frustrated, clumsy, quite easy to hit and, as Hopkins said, amateurish. Even those who feel Joe won would surely have to admit this was the least impressive he's looked for many a year. Hopkins, once again proving he is an absolute master at shutting a guy down, took the Welshman to school at times. Enzo Calzaghe, Joe's dad and trainer, could see this and was implored to scream at his son a number of times as he tended to him between rounds. The trainer knew his son was not looking his old self, and he also knew it was because Hopkins had made it his kind of fight.

"Do you want to stop him, or do you want him to stop you!?, Enzo bellowed between rounds 6 and 7. "Because that's the way it's going." The concern was all too real and Enzo knew his son was in serious danger of losing. "If you don't win this last round, it's over!," the trainer screamed at Joe before the 12th and final round. "You've got to stop him!" Did Enzo feel the points win was in the bag? Like hell he did. The fact that it actually was must have come as a huge relief to him, as it came as quite a shock to this writer - especially the ludicrously wide margin of one judge. 116-111! That was not only plain wrong, it was also an insult not only to Hopkins to but all the past old-school masters of the sweet science. Again, don't the subtleties of the ring masters count anymore?

I though Hopkins fought a superb and clever fight. Once again pacing him brilliantly, the older man never let Joe come anywhere close to putting on the type of "Jeff Lacy" performance some writers foolishly predicted beforehand. There were no windmill imitations from Calzaghe on this night. The knockdown Hopkins scored in the 1st round - a knockdown that was the result of a superbly delivered right hand - put paid to Joe’s desire to let it all hang out as has become his trademark. Joe knew the risks of adopting such kamikaze tactics that he’s made his own in the past. Tonight he was in with the most intelligent, dangerous and crafty opponent of his long career.

Calzgahe, to his credit, did come into the fight from the 5th round on (I gave B-Hop all of the first four), but he never really got into the groove we have all become accustomed from him. To me, Hopkins was the ring general last night, sometimes landing his counters almost at will. Apart from the two low blows, which Hopkins admittedly made too much of, the 43-year-old looked as though he was enjoying himself in the fight. I was certainly enjoying his quite magnificent showcase of the art of pugilistic skill. Two of the three judges, however, were sadly not doing the same.

Coming forward and trying to make a fight of it is an admirable thing, but when you find yourself getting counterpunched something awful by the man you’re chasing you have no right to claim a victory - something Joe Calzaghe did last night. For what it’s worth, I had the Ring magazine belt holder retaining his title by a 115-112 margin.

“The good thing about boxing,” Hopkins said after the result was announced, “is that the fans are the real judges.” I for one hope the fans saw what two of the three official judges never last night.

Last edited:

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Not that I agree with all of the writer's sentiments or think it was the worst decision in history but this writer echoes the sentiments of many of the world's most respected boxing journalists

BTW, please dont imply that Hopkins or any other fighter has ducked JC.

There's a reason why this fight didnt happen until WELL AFTER A YEAR AFTER HOPKINS RETIRED (the reason no belts were on the line is that Hopkins relinquished them when he decided to hang his gloves up).

His name is Frank Warren - the same guy who refused to let his golden goose leave home to be demolished by a prime RJJ (despite the fact that HBO were putting up all the cash) and the same guy who refused to pay a prime Hopkins an extra 3 mill to come to Wales, opting instead for him to face a garbage WBO mandatory in Cardiff.
the whole 3mil incident is all on hopkins head, he doubled his demand to an unrealistic price at the last minute, he was not worth that amount of money unless he was fighting a DLH.

this piece was taken from the ring magazine...

"A teleconference was set up in my office in New York for July 30th, 2002, and on the call was myself, Don King who was in the room, Frank Warren and Bernard Hopkins' lawyer, Arnold Joseph. Along with Arnold was a woman named Linda Carter, who was there on behalf of Bernard. We asked Arnold if Bernard wanted to fight Joe Calzaghe and we asked him how much money would he want if he did. The response we got was $3million and the fight would have to take place in the United States. After a little scratching of the head, we said 'Okay, done.' Frank Warren agreed on the spot, Don King agreed and we agreed so as far as we were concerned all parties were singing off the one hymn sheet. Arnold excused himself with Linda and I can only assume it was to call Bernard. Either that day or the next day, they came with a new demand: $6million, dobule the sum that had been agreed, the deal blew up.....he had then and still has no desire to fight Joe Calzaghe, that much is pretty clear.

Joe gets criticised sometimes for not having fought the big-name Americans, but in this case the fault has never rested with him."

- Jay Larkin.

-------------------------------------------------------

do you have any evidence for your little RJJ story?

Majin

International Debutant
:laugh: @ Amir Khan calling out Manny Pacquio. So much wrong with it I don't know where to start.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well we had the #1 Heavyweight in the World defend his title this weekend and not even a post in this thread.

Wladimir Klitschko knocked out Tony Thompson in the 11th round.

Thompson only had 1 loss on his record and he was a big guy (about 6'5" and 115 kg) and was a very awkward southpaw.

He made life tough for Klitschko but didnt have the skill, guile or power to really bother him.

An easy, but scrappy, defence against an opponent that was limited but annoying.

Majin

International Debutant
Probably 'cause the Heavyweight division is absolutely worthless at the moment. Lower Weight divisions are outclassing it by so far it's not even funny. Only way you're going to get a decent heavyweight match at the moment is if you pick up the Rocky collection on DVD. :D

Then again this thread gets bugger all posts as it is so you know :laugh:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Amir Khan has arse handed to him in 58 seconds...

From the BBC.

The writing has been on the wall in a couple of his recent fights fights too; he was floored by both Michael Gomez (good in his day, but 31 & on the way down now) last time out & the light-punching Willie Limond last year.

Horrible match-up for Warren to make tho; an unbeaten up-and-coming Columbian? No thanks.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
From the BBC.

The writing has been on the wall in a couple of his recent fights fights too; he was floored by both Michael Gomez (good in his day, but 31 & on the way down now) last time out & the light-punching Willie Limond last year.

Horrible match-up for Warren to make tho; an unbeaten up-and-coming Columbian? No thanks.
To be to Frank, Khan's new trainer recommended the Columbian, he was something outrageous like 5/1 to win and a few of Prescott's fights were against cab drivers.

But as you rightly said, the writing has been all the wall for sometime. Khan has no chin it would seem.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone see Diaz-Katsidis (spelling?) on the weekend? Not a bad stoush all things considered. Katsidis game but out-pointed fairly IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
"World's worst boxer" quits after 300 fights

& 256 defeats. From the BBC.

Fair play to the bloke tho, to be 39 and still hauling your arse round for pennies must mean you love the sport. Heart & soul of the game. Ended with a win too, his first since 2003!

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bloody hell, after 300 fights he must have about as many brain cells as Jade Goody

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone catch De la Hoya get pwned by Manny Pacquiao?

Guy got a brutal beating despite him having everything to his advantage. It was the 6th big fight (Mayweather, Mosley *2, Hopkins and Trinidad) for De La Hoya and his sixth loss, not the stuff of legends...

Majin

International Debutant
Yeah I was rooting for Pacquiao but by the end of the fight I just felt bad for De La Hoya, he looked so ****ed sitting on his stool at the 8th and it was just a bit gutted really. Still, yeah, Pacquiao should have been a rank outsider and he dominated, good to see. Looks like we'll get to see him slap Hatton around a bit next.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Not a single post on Mosley's clinic against Margarito! Has boxing really become such a minority sport?

Shame to hear about Barrera's injury too. Think it was a very astute match-up for Amir Khan.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not a single post on Mosley's clinic against Margarito! Has boxing really become such a minority sport?

Shame to hear about Barrera's injury too. Think it was a very astute match-up for Amir Khan.
Only if Barrera was absolutely shot to pieces

Majin

International Debutant
A good night last night for mine, Big **** got dropped on his arse by Olafabi and Khan looked pretty impressive against Barerra. Of course the unfortunate cut changed the course of the fight from the start but the signs of improvement from Amir were there, his guard is much improved even though it looked a little loose at times and he still seemed to get a bit excited. I noticed as well that he always drops his right whenever he starts throwing lefts, which is fine as long as he has the speed advantage that he did against Barrera but if someone starts getting around his left easily and slams a left hook in there could easily be a repeat of Prescott. That said he took a couple, only a few but a couple of stiff shots last night and withstood them well. That as well as the clash of heads, which for mine Barrera had way more momentum going into than Khan, didn't phase Khan in the slightest. Positive signs, hopefully he can build on it.