• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Felt that DeGale was finished at the top level but wrongly assumed that it would be Jnr or Groves that proved it

Needs to retire

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Felt that DeGale was finished at the top level but wrongly assumed that it would be Jnr or Groves that proved it

Needs to retire
I was shocked after the fight to see that he's only 31. Looked like a 40 year old in there. Had nothing to give.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
lomachenko pretty special isn't he?
I think he's very good but this was a mismatch, Rigo coming up two weight divisions against a much younger guy in his prime. I'm not one of the super skeptical guys when it comes to Lomachenko, but I still think there are better fights that could be made before we truly consider him at the level of someone like Crawford.

He should fight Linares and/or Mikey Garcia IMO.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was shocked after the fight to see that he's only 31. Looked like a 40 year old in there. Had nothing to give.
Think he's always been tight at the weight (not called "Chunky" for nothing) and making it is only getting harder as he ages.

Looked utterly gassed from the first bell against a glorified journeyman.

If he has a future he needs to move up to light heavy.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Billy Joe Saunders vs Lemieux is a great fight.

Picking BJS on points, but I'm against the crowd on that one.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Wow. That's a career defining performance from Saunders. Completely and utterly whitewashed Lemieux. Looked absolutely spectacular in there.

Niall

International Coach
I don't think people realise how good Saunders is because of how much of a bell he is, but that was domination. If he keeps focused, definitely give him a chance against an ageing Golovkin.

Jacobs the next fight though? Down with that also.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think people realise how good Saunders is because of how much of a bell he is, but that was domination. If he keeps focused, definitely give him a chance against an ageing Golovkin.

I think Canelo avoids BJS like the plague, his style is all wrong for him and could end up making Canelo look awful. GGG is a much harder fight, stylistically for BJS. GGG much better at cutting off the ring than Lemieux, much better jab, better timing on his punches.

I'd love to see BJS vs Jacobs. Not sure if either really wants to fight each other right now given that they both probably want that Canelo/GGG fight. But it would be a fantastic fight.

I think BJS is the type of fighter who needs to stay active to be good, so he should just fight any mid-tier fighter or even a journeyman in the mean time.

social

I think Canelo avoids BJS like the plague, his style is all wrong for him and could end up making Canelo look awful. GGG is a much harder fight, stylistically for BJS. GGG much better at cutting off the ring than Lemieux, much better jab, better timing on his punches.

I'd love to see BJS vs Jacobs. Not sure if either really wants to fight each other right now given that they both probably want that Canelo/GGG fight. But it would be a fantastic fight.

I think BJS is the type of fighter who needs to stay active to be good, so he should just fight any mid-tier fighter or even a journeyman in the mean time.
Agree with much of this and dont think that GBP/Canelo want any part of BJS

Let's not forget that the WBO did their part to make it happen last year and it all fell apart

Not sure about BJS/Jacobs

BJS has the ability to make anyone look bad but doesnt have a high work rate and Jacobs might catch him with his length

GGG is a no-no for BJS until he slows down some more

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lucas Browne vs Dillian Whyte has been made, apparently.

Two rather limited, basic fighters who none-the-less should make for a fun fight. And if nothing else, a fun build up.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with much of this and dont think that GBP/Canelo want any part of BJS

Let's not forget that the WBO did their part to make it happen last year and it all fell apart

Not sure about BJS/Jacobs

BJS has the ability to make anyone look bad but doesnt have a high work rate and Jacobs might catch him with his length

GGG is a no-no for BJS until he slows down some more
He has a very high work rate vs Lemieux which is what impressed me in particular. We always knew he could box, but he tended to gas and get outworked. This fight he wasn't just making Lemieux miss but was also making him pay, every single round up till perhaps the 12th which he pretty much just coasted and still probably won. I do rate Jacobs quite highly, would be an interesting fight but I doubt it gets made.

BJS starting to call out Golovkin now which is interesting. If nothing else it gives GGG a bit more bargaining power with Canelo.

oblongballs

U19 Debutant

I think actual boxing fans have always known how good Saunders is in terms of skills but he used to lack world level stamina, punch output and shape. Far too often he;d come in a bit chubby and gas by the 6th.

By his own admission, he changed his diet, life style and training team. Ingle has done a great job in getting BJS fight ready and we saw that against Lem. Now he can finally marry his skills with his fitness. Now he is a tough proposition for a number of 160 and 168 pounders.

I still don't think it is enough to beat GGG but he would beat Canelo, the only problem being the latter is 6 rounds up before the fight even starts.

social

Watching the boxing in Australia and Jeff Horn's promoter is implying that Arum "manipulated" the system to have Terrence Crawford ranked no. 1 contender

Maybe so but it is Terrence friggin' Crawford

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Watching the boxing in Australia and Jeff Horn's promoter is implying that Arum "manipulated" the system to have Terrence Crawford ranked no. 1 contender

Maybe so but it is Terrence friggin' Crawford
Arum also most likely involved in getting Horn the Pacquiao fight in the first place so it's a bit ludicrous to be complaining about that. Most mandatory positions involve a few notes changing pockets.

And yeah, it's Terence Crawford.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Meanwhile Garcia-Lipinets canceled, Lipinets hurt his hand apparently.

Please, please make the Garcia-Linares fight. Please.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Rumours about Povetkin vs David Price???

JFC that's another Eddier Hearn special to go up there with Luis Ortiz vs Dave Allen and Kell Brook vs GGG.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Gee Spence is good.

Excellent work from Peterson's corner to stop that fight. No sense in taking any more punishment, and no shame in that.