• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like a solid if completely uninspiring win from Parker. Good to see that he's improved his stamina, but you'd expect him to dominate in that regard over a guy who hasn't fought in a year and a half. Hard to see this fight making him much of a draw in the UK.

Where would Fury stand in terms of the quality of Parker's opponents? Above or below Takam/Ruiz?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like a solid if completely uninspiring win from Parker. Good to see that he's improved his stamina, but you'd expect him to dominate in that regard over a guy who hasn't fought in a year and a half. Hard to see this fight making him much of a draw in the UK.

Where would Fury stand in terms of the quality of Parker's opponents? Above or below Takam/Ruiz?
Parker's stamina on the front foot has always been fine, it's when guys are pushing him back that he seems to gas, which may be a mental thing.

Hughie Fury is very difficult to rate, particularly in this performance. Yes he has very good defense and is hard to hit, but it's hard to see how he actually planned to win rounds. Even his jab was not landing, he was just throwing it to Parker's guard as an attempt to disrupt rhythm. He threw a couple of counter rights and that's it. So I'd say he's defensively elite but he doesn't have anywhere near enough offense to actually beat top level opposition. I think even elite offensive guys like Joshua, Ortiz and Wilder may struggle to land on him the way he moves but he's not going to do enough to beat anyone.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Parker's stamina on the front foot has always been fine, it's when guys are pushing him back that he seems to gas, which may be a mental thing.

Hughie Fury is very difficult to rate, particularly in this performance. Yes he has very good defense and is hard to hit, but it's hard to see how he actually planned to win rounds. Even his jab was not landing, he was just throwing it to Parker's guard as an attempt to disrupt rhythm. He threw a couple of counter rights and that's it. So I'd say he's defensively elite but he doesn't have anywhere near enough offense to actually beat top level opposition. I think even elite offensive guys like Joshua, Ortiz and Wilder may struggle to land on him the way he moves but he's not going to do enough to beat anyone.
Even his defense is hard to rate as he has basically hasnt fought anyone bar Parker and I'd hardly rate his offense as elite

Pretty ****** fight and the reaction of Hennessy was laughable

Just glad that Parker won as it was a farce for Hughie to be getting a shot in the first place (i.e. still neing investigated by UKAD for doping, pulled out of the first fight for no real reason, etc)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
ffs. Luis Ortiz tests positive for a diuretic. Wilder-Ortiz likely to be cancelled.

And still, people are blaming Wilder for this. Look I'm not his biggest fan or anything but it's ridiculous the amount of **** he gets.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dorticos is a problem in the WBSS. Gee he really sits down on that right hand. Cruiserweight is stacked.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
David Haye thinks the public are “craving” he rematch with Bellew. Hmmm..... no.
Lol it's really the only option for him and it may be annoying but it is an economically viable fight.

To put it in context, either Parker or Hughie Fury would knock out the David Haye or the Tony Bellew that we saw in that first fight, probably in about 2 rounds.

Haye at least can be a bit of a wild card if he gets healthy though. Was a genuinely dangerous boxer, even at heavyweight a few years ago. Not sure he ever gets back to that level though, or ever gets healthy again.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I've never rated Eubank Jr but he did look pretty good against this opponent - who on the other hand seemed dreadful and tailor-made for him.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've never rated Eubank Jr but he did look pretty good against this opponent - who on the other hand seemed dreadful and tailor-made for him.
I reckon that he has come on quite a bit and is definitely capable of winning the thing plus I'd have him as a big favorite to stop DeGale based on the latter's last few performances

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So Joshua v Pulev becomes Joshua v Takam. Takam is a tough guy with a good chin but I tend to think Joshua will put him down within 6.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Gee it's hard not like AJ. Consummate professional. It's also cool to see a champion at the top of their game with no nagging insecurities - there's no need to lie or one-up anyone else, just straight up talk.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's very odd. He was put on standby at the same time the original fight was made, so he's been training for it all along.
There's quite a big difference between being on standby and actually having a fight scheduled. If you have a fight scheduled you can call in appropriate sparring partners - and pay them, whereas I doubt that happened for someone like Takam in a standby camp.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's quite a big difference between being on standby and actually having a fight scheduled. If you have a fight scheduled you can call in appropriate sparring partners - and pay them, whereas I doubt that happened for someone like Takam in a standby camp.
It was part of the deal made for the original fight by Eddie Hearn that he should train as if he was fighting. Though psychologically that would be quite difficult, it's his own fault if he hasn't done it.