• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Niall

International Coach
So predictions for later?

Going with Saul getting it done on points, think GGG has slipped a little and think Saul is coming to his peak, obviously though won't be shocked if GGG gets it done either! Can't wait though!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Has GGG slipped or is Jacobs just very good? Because I wouldn't say that Canelo definitely beats Jacobs. In fact, what true middleweight has Canelo fought? Not dissing Canelo or anything - he's awesome and has a lot of momentum coming in. He's one of my favourites and this fight is a pick 'em.

Gonna stick my neck out and say GGG by late stoppage or wide points.

Niall

International Coach
The judge who gave that 118-110 to Saul should be called all sorts of abuse online and that is from someone who had money on Saul! You can't justify that call,, you just can't. At best Saul edged it and that is been incredibly kind to him.

But heh that's boxing, even at its best, it somehow finds a way to shoot itself in its foot, pumped as hell for the rematch though.

Last edited:

Niall

International Coach
Yeah the commentators were been quite harsh on Saul when I was watching it as I thought it was closer than what they thought it was, but even still that 118-110 call is just so bad. Its wrong, it just is:laugh:

Just annoying really after that ****show a few weeks something so anticipated has just such a completely wrong call.

On the rest of the night, watched a lot in the background tbh, but not impressed by Saunders v Monroe, incredibly dull fight and while Saunders deserved to win, its hard to really make an argument for him to beat GGG/Saul atm, something seems to have gone wrong with him over the last year or so. Strange dude.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the commentators were been quite harsh on Saul when I was watching it as I thought it was closer than what they thought it was, but even still that 118-110 call is just so bad. Its wrong, it just is:laugh:

Just annoying really after that ****show a few weeks something so anticipated has just such a completely wrong call.

On the rest of the night, watched a lot in the background tbh, but not impressed by Saunders v Monroe, incredibly dull fight and while Saunders deserved to win, its hard to really make an argument for him to beat GGG/Saul atm, something seems to have gone wrong with him over the last year or so. Strange dude.
Yeah they really needed to get this right. Hell, a draw would have even been acceptable if they didn't have that ridiculous 118-110 in there. It just makes the whole thing a farce.

It really seemed like Monroe didn't turn up. Was he expecting to take the belt by not throwing punches? Bizarre.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't see the fight but it is possible for a close fight to be scored by a wide margin if one boxer continual just nicks a lot of closely fought rounds. Anyway it's perfect for the promoters and makes mugs of the fans.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I didn't see the fight but it is possible for a close fight to be scored by a wide margin if one boxer continual just nicks a lot of closely fought rounds. Anyway it's perfect for the promoters and makes mugs of the fans.
Yes, but this wasn't one of those fights.

GGG clearly won the middle rounds. Canelo won the early rounds and some of the late rounds - whether he won enough of them to get to the draw or possibly nick the fight is a matter of perspective. But there's no way GGG only won 2 rounds in that fight.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I mean if they really wanted a draw, fine that judge could've had it 115-113 for Canelo and then we'd have a draw, there'd be a few grumblings but it wouldn't look like the absolute sham that this does. It really takes all the attention away from what was an amazing fight.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking at the scorecards it is all a bit weird. All three judges had Canelo winning the first 2 and the last 3 - which I think is fair enough.

So the only way to give GGG the win is if he won rounds 3 through 9 - which again is fair enough and how one judge did score it.

The judge who had it as a draw gave Canelo round 7... which was one of the only two rounds the first judge had him losing.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If you're going to cheat you need to do what Roland Dakin did when Alan Minter won his first World title. It was a spit decision with two judges scoring closely in favour of each boxer and Roland Dakin scored the 15 round fight 149-137 which equates to 13-1-1. He then jumped in the ring and celebrated with Minter and his entourage when the decision was announced.

social

Pretty clear victory for GGG but not surprising that GBP had at least one judge in their pocket as it happens in virtually every Camelot fight

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty sporting of Rio Ferdinand to make sure that wasn't even yesterday's most comical item of boxing news tho.

So you're 38 and have never boxed, ever...

Of course it's the career for you!!

social

So Ward has retired

Whilst most boxers struggle to stay away, it wouldn't surprise me if he did as he's never been your regular joe and is also a clever guy

One of the best

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lol I'm not sure how Hughie thought he could win the belt without throwing a punch. Even his jab was barely landing. He landed a couple of uppercuts and a counter right straight and barely anything else the whole bout.

Was he expecting a home town decision?

There's back foot fighting like what Canelo did vs GGG, and then there's just a plain negative fighting. This was the latter.