• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It wasn't that close. He almost got the fight called off! Just look at the landed punches!! 117-111 is beyond a joke.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It wasn't that close. He almost got the fight called off! Just look at the landed punches!! 117-111 is beyond a joke.
The compubox stats are almost as ridiculous as that scorecard

Literally the only way either is correct is if you give all of the 50/50 calls to one guy whilst ignoring the work of the other

As I said, I thought it was a close fight and a round either way was about it for me

Horn might have received the benefit of whatever doubt there was because he did way better than expected whilst Manny looked decidedly average

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought it was a good fight tbh. Not a classic but a solid bout. Pacman was way below his best and Horn was game and kept coming. I'd have given it to Pacquiao personally, but tbh I was sort of more taken with watching the breaching Humpback Whales cruise past the Scarborough pub than I was taking any major interest in the fight.

The fact the fight was almost stopped int eh 9th or whatever is irrelevant to the ultimate score beyond that round. I mean, Tyson sat Douglass on his arse in Tokyo before losing the fight - that stuff happens.

Tend to agree with social's point though, expectations often reflected in scoring - Pacquiao was expected to run through Horn, but was sloppy. He gave away a lot of early rounds, but no way was it a 117-111 fight, either way. I can see how Horn got the decision but personally would have gone the other way.

cnerd123

likes this
I remember thinking Horn was doing alright in the first half of the fight, and then the commentator presented his scores and he had it 5 rounds to 1 to Pacman, and I thought to myself "that can't be right!"

117-111 is ridiculous too tho tbh. Especially since Pacman had that 10-8 round in there too.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah totally. It was a tight fight, a lot tighter than it really should have been if Manny was anywhere close to his best. I think Pacqiauo was hard done by, but not like Fenech-Azuma Nelson hard done by.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I could see people scoring it either way.

I also don't think Horn boxed dirty or whatever. You don't get to just bend over and come at someone with your head down. You can't expect them not to push down on you - it's a natural boxer's reaction to prevent the headbutt and also prevent the kidney punches and sneaky overhands. It'd be nice if clinches didn't happen but for that to be the case the responsibility needs to lie with both fighters, not just the guy protecting himself.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Awesome cruiserweight tourney coming up
Oleksandr Usyk joins World Boxing Super Series cruiserweight tournament

Usyk vs Huck to start off
Briedis vs Perez

so then I'm guessing that's a Briedis vs Usyk semifinal...wow.

And then the winner fights Gassiev? sweet
The SMW tourney looks pretty reasonable as well despite the absence of DeGale and Ramirez

They've even managed to get Eubank Jnr into the ring with somebody with a pulse (albeit fading)

Funnily enough, I wouldnt be surprised if he won it

King Pietersen

International Captain
That press conference sucked

**** boxing and **** Floyd
Yep. UFC press conferences are so much better. Was set up by Floyd to make him look superior. Made Conor talk first, then had all the other mic's turned off so Conor couldn't respond. Didn't work though. He tried calling Conor out there and then, Conor challenged him and he backed down. Was also hilarious when he was shouting his moronic catchphrases and about 10 people were shouting them back at him, I guess it's lucky he had some family members and Showtime interns in the crowd.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Conor owned Mayweather in Toronto. "Why do you have a school backpack? You can't ****ing read." :lol:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Part of me would like to see the self-regarding wife-beater get the snot smacked out of him, but the whole shebang is really akin to an amazing baseball hitter being parachuted into a test match and then expecting him to keep out McGrath (or the ageing great of your choice) on the fairly flimsy premise that the basic skillsets of the sports are similar and he once had a net session about a decade ago.

McGregor can talk though; one has to give him that. Didn't so much as kiss the blarney stone as devour it whole and subsequently spews out vomit stained nuggets of homespun Oirish smack talk.

Shri

Mr. Glass
CMc also called out a Showtime guy for being a weasel and cutting off the UFC guys' mics during the previous promo.:laugh:

King Pietersen

International Captain
Holy ****, Conor just absolutely killed it. Best "speech" of the Tour so far. Mark it down as another 10-8. Conor just slapped his head and Floyd did, as predicted, absolutely ****ing nothing.