• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

cnerd123

likes this
So Mayweather vs McGregor is a thing

I was hyped because I wanted to see McG headkick KO Mayweather and walk off with the DQ Loss but also with being the only man to KO Mayweather in a boxing ring...but apparently the contract they signed won't let him do that, so this might be really boring instead.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It's a money grab fight between one of the greatest boxers of all time and an amateur.

Mayweather won't knock him out because that's not his game and anyway he won't want to discredit the fight more than it's already discredited. It'll be an incredibly boring fight.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a money grab fight between one of the greatest boxers of all time and an amateur.

Mayweather won't knock him out because that's not his game and anyway he won't want to discredit the fight more than it's already discredited. It'll be an incredibly boring fight.
I think Mayweather will stop him, myself. McGregor will be blowing out of his arse by round six. Can't see Floyd being able to nurse him the distance.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think Mayweather will stop him, myself. McGregor will be blowing out of his arse by round six. Can't see Floyd being able to nurse him the distance.
Hadn't thought of that. A definite possibility.

Good on McGregor for booking himself a cash-out fight so early in his career, with minimal damage done. Smart move.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Doubt McGregor will gas. Only fight he's really gassed out in was the first Diaz fight where he was suffering with an awful staph infection 2 weeks before the fight and was still on antibiotics week of.

indiaholic

International Captain
This entire thing feels dirty.. Shouldn't be sanctioned. Seems like the matches that are made in Japanese MMA

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This entire thing feels dirty.. Shouldn't be sanctioned. Seems like the matches that are made in Japanese MMA
It's not a good fight, but I'm fine with it being sanctioned. They're both experienced professionals in combat sports. There's a massive skill gap but it's not a fight that we're expecting anyone to get seriously hurt (outside of the normal risks in getting punched in the head repetitively...).

indiaholic

International Captain
Hmm but I wouldn't be okay with a club level amateur boxer facing floyd in his first pro fight. I dunno. They are consenting adults. Should be allowed to do what they want.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm but I wouldn't be okay with a club level amateur boxer facing floyd in his first pro fight. I dunno. They are consenting adults. Should be allowed to do what they want.
Well in terms of skills he's probably around the level of a very good club level boxer, but in terms of his experience - which is more important IMO when we're talking sanctioning - he has vastly more in terms of actually being in competitive fights getting hit in the head.

But yeah let's not pretend the sanctioning bodies give a crap - they're gonna sanction anyone that pays them a big slice.

cnerd123

likes this
Also MMA is full of mis-matches like this - like when a grappler faces a kickboxer, it's either a white belt vs black belt on the ground, or a rookie vs a pro on the feet.

McG might get beat up a bit here and there, but it's not something all that new.

Also Japanese MMA is ****ing awesome

indiaholic

International Captain
Come to think of it, McG does have an advantage. He can probably tie up on his own terms and then he can use his superior wrestling and strength to dominate the clinch game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Come to think of it, McG does have an advantage. He can probably tie up on his own terms and then he can use his superior wrestling and strength to dominate the clinch game.
dunno about that, MMA clinch is rather different due to lack of gloves and necessity to protect from knees and takedowns.

I would also question whether he actually has superior strength.

indiaholic

International Captain
dunno about that, MMA clinch is rather different due to lack of gloves and necessity to protect from knees and takedowns.

I would also question whether he actually has superior strength.
Probably outweighs Floyd by 15-20 pounds. Floyd didn't cut any weight at 155, did he? (May just be remembering it wrong tbh) Clinching and leaning should work to tire Floyd out.

Plus what i learned from the Ward - Kovalev fight was that McG can always attempt a double leg if everything fails. :p

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's an ATG boxer against a club standard novice

Floyd would have to be shot to **** (and probably blindfolded) for this to be a competitive fight

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Probably outweighs Floyd by 15-20 pounds. Floyd didn't cut any weight at 155, did he? (May just be remembering it wrong tbh) Clinching and leaning should work to tire Floyd out.

Plus what i learned from the Ward - Kovalev fight was that McG can always attempt a double leg if everything fails. :p
I don't personally know how much Floyd and Conor cut but they're roughly the same height and weight and since the fight is going to be fought at a set weight limit, I don't see how we can categorically say that one guy is stronger than the other (or has any more power).

It's not like Floyd tends to get roughed up in the clinch, and he's fought guys who are proven to be ridiculously strong (i.e. Canelo*...). Conor doesn't have a single advantage other than age - and as we saw with Wlad, consummate professionals who don't blow up in weight between fights don't seem to suffer as much and can still be effective well into their 40s.

*seriously, Canelo is a much bigger, stronger and more skillful boxer than McCregor, and he barely took a round off Floyd (he was young then and probably a bit weight-drained, tbf).