• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Although I view Vitali as the significantly better fighter, I think Wlad's right hand is the best in the history of the heavyweight division, both in pure power and the way he sets it up.

So I think questions about Joshua's chin are a bit ridiculous. And while the idea that Parker or Wilder are better finishers than Wlad is probably true, it's not known whether they have anywhere near the same punching power nor actual ability to land that right hand that Wlad has.

Wilder's right hand is tremendous but Wlad sets his up with an elite jab. Wilder actually gets out-jabbed by the likes of Washington.

Man, I really hope we don't have an endless stream of bull**** mandatories. Guys like Stiverne, Hughie Fury, Dillian Whyte etc need to **** off or just fight each other for a while.

Mike5181

International Captain
Parker's still got impressive hand-speed but he definitely seems lacking in the power department. The other guy could almost just walk through his punches, and while he was never in danger of losing - he never looked close to knocking his opponent out either.

He also lost his head way too easily as well. The other guy had decent defence, but even a competent counter-puncher would have done some serious damage to Parker with how loose he was at times.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I think he has plenty of power.

It's the openness in defense and just going back in straight lines after throwing combinations that is the issue that has remained for his whole career. I seriously haven't seen any improvement in that regard. And he still seems to consistently gas out after 5-6 rounds.

I find it weird and slightly troubling that Kevin Barry and his son are not only coaching him but also doing all the matchmaking, and for some bizarre reason Duco is also promoting Kevin Barry as a coach whenever they mention Parker. It's a bizarre relationship.

If I were Parker I would look to spend 3-4 months with another coach. It doesn't mean Barry is not a good coach, just that it's good to get input from everyone.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
120-108 Canelo

I don't know whether Chavez is just ****e, Canelo is amazing, or Chavez threw the fight.

I've always rated Canelo quite highly and I don't think he's a hypejob. But this was a bit too good. Again, I don't know enough about Chavez jr to know whether he's crap or possibly threw the fight.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
120-108 Canelo

I don't know whether Chavez is just ****e, Canelo is amazing, or Chavez threw the fight.

I've always rated Canelo quite highly and I don't think he's a hypejob. But this was a bit too good. Again, I don't know enough about Chavez jr to know whether he's crap or possibly threw the fight.
Made for Canelo which is why he was signed

Shot, undisciplined, slow as ****, doesnt use his height and brings a name

No way GBP was ever going to take a risk with a live body with GGG in September

That being said, he barely put up a fight and didnt even attempt to throw when Canelo was in range so nothing would surprise

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Made for Canelo which is why he was signed

Shot, undisciplined, slow as ****, doesnt use his height and brings a name

No way GBP was ever going to take a risk with a live body with GGG in September

That being said, he barely put up a fight and didnt even attempt to throw when Canelo was in range so nothing would surprise
Yeah the commentators were saying Chavez is weirdly more of an inside fighter even though he's quite tall. But plenty of times Canelo brought it inside and Chavez still barely threw a punch. From about the 5th round it was clear Canelo was toying with him and he still didn't do ****. Even in the final round with nothing to lose. IDGI.

social

Hendrix, what are your thoughts on Umar Salamov?

I thought that he looked to be a very good prospect

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Hendrix, what are your thoughts on Umar Salamov?

I thought that he looked to be a very good prospect
I didn't catch his fight, unfortunately. Seen him a few times before though. Love how he changes angles. Hard to know the levels though.

social

I didn't catch his fight, unfortunately. Seen him a few times before though. Love how he changes angles. Hard to know the levels though.
Very mature for 22

No idea how idea good his opponent was but he carved him up with a variety of punches and finished him emphatically

Honestly looks better schooled than Parker

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly looks better schooled than Parker
Yup because he's just come from presumably a much better coach into the Barry set up.

Meanwhile Parker hasn't developed any new skills over 4 years and is getting by on his speed and athleticism.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
pretty much what I'm talking about in regards to Parker.

The power is not a problem. The athleticism is not a problem. It's the skills that are the problem.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Picks for Brook vs Spence?

Amazing fight IMO. 50/50 IMO. The winner takes the number one welterweight spot off Thurman, IMO. And then hopefully they fight Thurman for unification...but that's asking a bit too much I guess.

social

I suspected that Brook was done after the GGG fight and nothing I saw tonight changes that view

People talk about how brave he was against GGG but the fact is that he was badly beaten up and that takes some coming back from

He needs time out and should go to 154 if he even fights agains

As for Spence, I wasnt really impressed with him early but put that down to nerves and the fact that Brook is awkward

He did show a stiff jab, excellent body work and a good right hook though

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah whether Brook was at his best is certainly up for debate.

Still, at the very least I think this legitimises Spence. I really hope we see him fight Thurman soon. I wish both of these guys had a bit more profile because they're bloody good.

social

Yeah whether Brook was at his best is certainly up for debate.

Still, at the very least I think this legitimises Spence. I really hope we see him fight Thurman soon. I wish both of these guys had a bit more profile because they're bloody good.
Watched the fight again tonight & Spence is seriously good

tobe_ornot2

Banned
Spence is pretty basic. Robotic even but he hits hard and considering thurman is 5'7'', porter 5'6'', khan 5'8'', and DG 5'7'' no modern welter can match him for size. I think he beats them all through sheer strength alone.

Spences real test will be when he faces someone his own size, who is gritty, can take a punch and can box fluid.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Spence is pretty basic. Robotic even but he hits hard and considering thurman is 5'7'', porter 5'6'', khan 5'8'', and DG 5'7'' no modern welter can match him for size. I think he beats them all through sheer strength alone.

Spences real test will be when he faces someone his own size, who is gritty, can take a punch and can box fluid.
This is what everyone says about anyone who's win they want to discredit. Where are these magical perfect boxers? They don't exist. Hell, AJ just beat Wladimir Klitschko, who was undefeated for a decade but if you want to take that line of thinking he's rubbish because he doesn't have an inside game and because he's been KOd. There are no perfect boxers.

I don't think Spence is robotic, and I certainly don't think he's getting by on power. Hell I don't actually think power is his main strength.

Kell Brook is his own size, is gritty and can take a punch and is a very proven boxer. Honestly those are all standard welterweight sizes. All of Thurman, Porter, Khan, Brook and Garcia are very, very good boxers. Beating any of those guys is instant legitimacy, IMO, so Spence definitely has that now that he's beaten Brook. Spence isn't really any bigger than any of those dudes, and it's not like he's draining himself any more than most other dudes in the division. Hell, he whipped Algieri who's bigger than him.

If he can beat Thurman then he starts coming into the P4P rankings IMO.

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen some strange scoring over the years but nothing quite like the Burnett v Haskins fight won by Burnett on a split decision. Two judges scored it 119 to 107 to Burnett and the other scored it 118 to 108 to Haskins.

Last edited: