• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

listento_me

U19 Captain
Ummm so Brook has won the first three rounds, quite convincingly.

Long way to go...but could it happen?
I dunno about "quite convincingly" but I feel he definitely won round 2 and 3. GGG settled down and put on a beating.

I'm still pissed at the stoppage, considering I've seen fighters carry on with similar and worse injuries than that. Some have gone onto win too. Do you all remember Malignaggi terrible orbital fracture against Cotto? Didn't he eventually stop in like round 9 or something? Or Rosados face of blood against GGG. Heck, how about Algieri winning a title with a badly swollen eye, completely shut, with a broken nose and bloodied face. He even managed to win that fight and win a world title.

Brooks corner were a bit too emotional.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Canelo might be having a re think about ducking GGG, definitely looked vulnerable in the first few rounds.
Did GGG really look vulnerable?

Yeah he got hit with some hard shots but he took then like they were nothing and before the fight, he said he wanted to make it a "show". GGG did everything he wanted in that ring and completely disrespected Brooks power.

Thats not what hed do against Canelo. GGG would focus a lot more on his jab and movement first up. Then he'd break the mexican up.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno about "quite convincingly" but I feel he definitely won round 2 and 3. GGG settled down and put on a beating.

I'm still pissed at the stoppage, considering I've seen fighters carry on with similar and worse injuries than that. Some have gone onto win too. Do you all remember Malignaggi terrible orbital fracture against Cotto? Didn't he eventually stop in like round 9 or something? Or Rosados face of blood against GGG. Heck, how about Algieri winning a title with a badly swollen eye, completely shut, with a broken nose and bloodied face. He even managed to win that fight and win a world title.

Brooks corner were a bit too emotional.
Brook was getting battered and he was done so no point continuing

It is also a very serious injury and he'll be lucky if it is ever 100% again

Anyway, eye or not, writing was on the wall from round 3 IMO and it was only some Brook skill/GGG headhunting that allowed it to get that far IMO

listento_me

U19 Captain
Brook was getting battered and he was done so no point continuing

It is also a very serious injury and he'll be lucky if it is ever 100% again

Anyway, eye or not, writing was on the wall from round 3 IMO and it was only some Brook skill/GGG headhunting that allowed it to get that far IMO
Blowout fractures aren't as threatening as some have made them out to be. Just in the last few years we've seen guys like Malignaggi, Algieri and a few others with orbital fractures. Some went on to win their respective bouts.

All I'm saying is that a fight of this magnitude should allow the fighter at least a chance to be KD.

Anyway, Canelo v Smith tonight. I wouldn't be surprised by an upset in that one.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
He should be stripped, and I don't understand why we haven't had a proper hearing on the positive doping test.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Parker just absolutely demolished Dimitrenko. Dude tried to fake getting hurt when he had a knee down, but he quit, for sure. Had been knocked down pretty much at will.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dimitrenko is ranked 47th in the world and Parker is 8th. Why was this fight a thing again?
Dimitrenko is a solid fighter. Has been 11 rounds with Pulev. This was a good pick to get a bit more experience fighting bigger guys as the fights next year will likely be against Joshua, Wilder or Klitchko. In any case, Dimitrenko is far better than that Aussie league player he fought after Takam.

Moreover, if you're fighting 3-4x per year not every guy is going to be a massive challenge. He already took a step up fight in Takam. When you consider that belt-holders Joshua and Wilder's last fights were Dominic Breazeale and Chris Arreola respectively, this was a reasonable fight.

Promoters are really protecting the zero at the moment but given the bodies are actually putting people in mandatory positions and Fury is likely to be stripped, we should see some big fights soon.
-

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
So is a Parker Joshua fight in November a realistic prospect now? I imagine both guys would rather fight each other than Wlad.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So is a Parker Joshua fight in November a realistic prospect now? I imagine both guys would rather fight each other than Wlad.
yeah I thought Hearn was just winding people up when he said they were talking to Wlad but apparently they do actually want the fight.

They want Parker on the undercard vs Price to build his name a bit...but then if Joshua loses to Wlad I don't know what will happen.

They'll possibly just get him to fight another bum.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Cocaine is obviously part of Fury's religious beliefs

What a tool!
Quite. I think, in years to come, the unlovable homophobe beating Klitschko jr. will be looked on as a fluke of Tyson/Douglas proportions.

At least Buster had the honour of going out on his shield rather than in a cloud of Colombian marching powder too.

Meanwhile tragic news about Mike Towell losing his life after his British welterweight title eliminator against Dale Evans. Leaves a two year old daughter behind.

Reminds one boxing is a brutal, but beautiful business. Vale son. :(

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I really can't stand the UK boxing commentators on this stream. And that same guy that does all of Joshua's fights. freaking terrible