• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

indiaholic

International Captain
Okay so I just saw the Diego Corrales fight.. Guy has a 4 inch height advantage and was 10 pounds heavier. The solution seemed to be to avoid fighting in the medium to close range as much as possible. Basically don't use the philly shell much. Any better examples against taller fighters?

Btw it was fun fighr. Would recommend watching it if you haven't seen it before.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Okay so I just saw the Diego Corrales fight.. Guy has a 4 inch height advantage and was 10 pounds heavier. The solution seemed to be to avoid fighting in the medium to close range as much as possible. Basically don't use the philly shell much. Any better examples against taller fighters?

Btw it was fun fighr. Would recommend watching it if you haven't seen it before.
Floyd was never the smallest guy in his weight divisions so most are pretty much the same

It's really only the odd freak like Corrales who could drain his weight to ridiculous extremes

Btw, whilst he put on a master-class against him, there's an argument to say that Corrales was distracted as he had been charged with spousal abuse before the fight and went on to serve 14 months in prison

indiaholic

International Captain
Floyd was never the smallest guy in his weight divisions so most are pretty much the same

It's really only the odd freak like Corrales who could drain his weight to ridiculous extremes

Btw, whilst he put on a master-class against him, there's an argument to say that Corrales was distracted as he had been charged with spousal abuse before the fight and went on to serve 14 months in prison

Was a weird fight in that respect. I read in the comments that Corrales was the favourite coming into that fight? Was totally outclassed.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't see the fight, but Amir Khan appears to be getting fairly lavish praise for a man knocked out cold in the 6th Round.

social

Didn't see the fight, but Amir Khan appears to be getting fairly lavish praise for a man knocked out cold in the 6th Round.
Especially as it was all too predictable

Gutsy from Khan to take the fight but as I mentioned previously, it should never have been allowed to happen

social

Another one joins the Maria Sharapova school of idiot drug takers. Meldonium: Boxer Alexander Povetkin tests positive for banned substance - BBC Sport
"Sport" in Russia and the former Soviet states is a joke

In terms of boxing, there is no doubt that Browne (and others) has been stitched up whilst Povetkin is still trying to argue his way into a fight despite testing positive before the fight

Guy is a cheat, has been for years and literally everyone knows it

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Solid win for Parker tonight, but Takam definitely showed that he'll need more than quick hands and a solid jab to mix it at the elite level. His defence in the middle rounds was just abysmal at times, and he will get knocked down if he just stands still with his arms draped by his waist against someone like Joshua. Still, it's still very early days for him. I think this fight was probably a year or two too soon for him, so to still win it convincingly and display a good array of strategies in getting it done is very encouraging.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Solid win for Parker tonight, but Takam definitely showed that he'll need more than quick hands and a solid jab to mix it at the elite level. His defence in the middle rounds was just abysmal at times, and he will get knocked down if he just stands still with his arms draped by his waist against someone like Joshua. Still, it's still very early days for him. I think this fight was probably a year or two too soon for him, so to still win it convincingly and display a good array of strategies in getting it done is very encouraging.
Agreed but Joshua is the least of his concerns from what I've seen.

Definitely agree that this fight was a year too early so big props.

Needs to increase fitness. Just hazarding a guess, but I think they put the weight cut a little too late (he was looking quite flat at weigh in) and should've been re-feeding by that stage. Not that they need to cut weight before heavyweight, but they still usually do.

OTOH, Takam is probably the fittest heavyweight boxer I've ever seen. Along with the Meldonium-assisted Povetkin.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Ward fighting Kovalev. Hmmm. That's a tough fight for him. Not sure why he needs to move up in weight class.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Breazeale lost the Kassi fight (that's about the 4th time I've seen Kassi ripped off) and should've lost the Mansour fight. Tough to see him being much competition for Joshua.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Commentators were extremely generous to Breazeale. He could have been knocked out as early as round 2, Joshua just decided to pick his moments.
Breazeale is slow and lumbering, has no defense, bad footwork and little skill whatsoever.

Him, his handlers and Joshua's team laughing all the way to the bank.

I know it's a tough ask, but when you're IBF champion, one hopes that you defend the title against actual top 10 boxers. I suppose this was a voluntary, right? Hopefully he actually fights someone who can punch next time.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member

Exactly my thoughts.

If you're the champ, you don't get to take baby steps anymore. He should be fighting number 1 contenders and other belt-holders.