Cricket Player Manager
Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing thread

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Very early stoppage. May well have been over had Froch had another 10 seconds but Groves was robbed.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Nah, but hope Froch destroys him. Groves seems quite the ****.

Froch is probably slightly on the down slope at 36, but should still have too much with any luck.

Guess De Gale for the winner is the obvious next fight
    . Unless they fancy Ward, who's arguably the best pound for pound fighter around just now outside of Mayweather.
    DeGale fights at Bluewater on Channel 5. He hasn't beaten anyone yet to earn a fight with someone like Froch.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    TBF neither had Groves (well, DeGale excepted, I suppose) and he was somehow the mandatory challenger.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    TBF neither had Groves (well, DeGale excepted, I suppose) and he was somehow the mandatory challenger.
    Groves was ranked 6th in the World coming into this fight.

Next fight for Froch should be a very winable, big money fight against top 5 ranked Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. No point fighting Ward. It is a bugger of a fight to win, it will be boring and Ward doesnt 'sell' so the money will not be massive for such a difficult fight.

Win that then retire. A Groves rematch, while just and logical, doesnt do anything for Froch when he has so few fights left in his career.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Groves was ranked 6th in the World coming into this fight.

Next fight for Froch should be a very winable, big money fight against top 5 ranked Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. No point fighting Ward. It is a bugger of a fight to win, it will be boring and Ward doesnt 'sell' so the money will not be massive for such a difficult fight.

Win that then retire. A Groves rematch, while just and logical, doesnt do anything for Froch when he has so few fights left in his career.
    Maybe with the WBA, but he was the IBF's mandatory challenger. Froch was told to fight him or be stripped. Currant Bun.

International Vice-Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    Groves is ranked #9 as a Super Middleweight on BoxRec, should be a lot higher after that performance, he looked fantastic. Just hope he gets a rematch. I was a Groves fan before the fight, even more so now. He's not a dick, he just knows how to hype fights, and he did a fantastic job hyping this one. Big fan of George Groves, think he could go a long way in the sport.

Absolutely ridiculous stoppage. Froch was put out in the first round. His legs went, his eyes rolled back and his head bounced off the canvas. He was gone, yet it wasn't stopped; and yet Groves slips up once, gets hurt (nowhere near as badly as Froch) and it gets stopped, ludicrous refereeing. Boxing and MMA really need to take a look at how the sport is regulated. It was one of the worst displays of refereeing I've seen since Kim Wilmslow stood a dude up who was about to lock in an Arm Triangle in the UFC. Firstly the stoppage absolutely sucked, no way that should have been stopped, and then somehow Froch avoided being deducted a point despite being warned several times for punching on the break, and punching after the bell. It's always contentious to claim biased refereeing or judging, but that was as close to a biased ref as I've seen.

The people that run Boxing really need to take a look at themselves, and re-assess the direction the sport is going. It's run by morons, refereed by people who don't know what they're doing, and the judging is even worse. Look at C J Ross. Responsible for giving Bradley the win over Pacquiao, somehow kept her job after than, and then went on to score Mayweather-Alvarez as a draw. That is just incompetence of the highest level; either that, or she's getting pay offs from ludicrously rich people in Vegas that are betting on weird results. The odds for Mayweather to beat Alvarez by MD were 5/1, the odds for a UD were way worse. Her scoring the fight a draw would have made a small number of people very rich. The State Athletic Commissions are Government run though, so the chances of them putting their hands up, admitting they're wrong, firing all the people who shouldn't be judging or refereeing fights and hiring people who know what they're doing are slim to none. Combat Sports are so corruptly run, it's so frustrating.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 26-11-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    www.proudtofight.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome...it's a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover (or should that be deep square-leg) for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Barker worse than his bite

Darren Barker, who our criminal boxing fans may remember as the slightly spawny vanquisher of Danny Geale, got properly mullerd byt Felix Sturm last night.

From the BBC.

If Barker's hip is really as bad as is suggested a Sturm/Geale rematch might be the obvious next step for both.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Well, 29 years ago today, this happened.

A much hyped super fight which more than lived up to expectations. What a dreadful majesty there was to it.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Ha, knew what that'd be before I clicked.

More action in the first minute and a half than one sees in three title fights nowadays. What a warrior Hagler was. Kudos to Tommy for taking it to the great man, but he let it become Marvin's fight.

Still think Hagler was robbed against Leonard too, ftr.

Yeah I think he was too.

FMD he was a great fighter. Fantastic era for middleweights (or thereabouts) around that time. Those three blokes plus Duran as well. Leonard was a great fighter but christ he had everything his own way. He was certainly the chosen one. The fact they invented Super Middleweight as a division so he could beat Lalonde and get 5 world titles was a ****ing disgrace. Likewise the draw in the second Hearns fight where Tommy knocked him down twice. Even Leonard admitted Hearns beat him. Loved Tommy Hearns. WAFG
    Last edited by Burgey; 16-04-2014 at 02:37 AM.

Love the comment about two minutes in.... How long can this one last?

Ridiculous fight.

Here's another fave - Hagler v Mugabi, sixth round. ****ing insane action from go to woah.
    Last edited by Burgey; 16-04-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Only found out recently that Hagler retired because Leonard refused him a rematch

Leonard was a brilliant fighter but was an 80s version of Floyd in that he picked his targets and only stepped into the ring if almost everything was in his favour

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Yeah I think he was too.

FMD he was a great fighter. Fantastic era for middleweights (or thereabouts) around that time. Those three blokes plus Duran as well. Leonard was a great fighter but christ he had everything his own way. He was certainly the chosen one. The fact they invented Super Middleweight as a division so he could beat Lalonde and get 5 world titles was a ****ing disgrace. Likewise the draw in the second Hearns fight where Tommy knocked him down twice. Even Leonard admitted Hearns beat him. Loved Tommy Hearns. WAFG
    Especially as Lalonde was the light heavy champ and was forced to come down in weight with a ****ed shoulder just to get a payday

Tommy was a magnificent fighter and one of my favourites (I saw him slaughter Duran on the big screen in a cinema in Leicester Square)

His reaction after Leonard 2 spoke volumes for his class - despite being robbed, he said something like "not disappointed as it is just an honour to share the ring with Ray."
    Last edited by social; 16-04-2014 at 05:38 AM.

Cinderella Man

apart from the content, webpages are really coming along aren't they.

**** im getting excited for this. can we dare hope he does it
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

See the press conference? He's certainly in shape. Be long odds though.

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread Information