Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing thread

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    one of those places people go to die imo
    quite
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Sounds it

Apparently Geale easily won the last round but 2/3 judges gave it to Barker and that was the difference

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Sounds it

Apparently Geale easily won the last round but 2/3 judges gave it to Barker and that was the difference
    If that's true about barker being given the last round that's ****ed, Geale was seriously close to flooring him again, his corner must have told him to chase the KO and he got close.

tbh I thought the last round was one of the only rounds that was a clear win to either fighter

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Poor Cleverly. Made one of the worse decisions possible. Lined up a fight against a killer who was unknown to many in the UK. He was criticized for taking a 'low profile fight' when he was taking on possibly the most dangerous man at middleweight.

Anyone who has followed Kovalev's career would have known that he is vicious. Terrible management decision to take a fight that the UK fans could disparage but was in reality a huge threat.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dermo View Post
    just one of those places you have to go to before you die imo
    Was there for 5 days from Boxing Day a few years back. Playng cricket in 44 degree heat and getting bricks thrown through the windows of some of the team buses and the hotel. Those were the days!
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Country cup tours are the best.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Yeah it was good fun. When to the Dubbo Trots and the local pub. There was a striking resemblance between the patronage at both places.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

RIP Ken Norton

The man who a lot of seasoned observes think gave Ali his toughest fights passes away at only 70. Vale.

From the BBC.

&, several rungs down the heavyweight order of merit, I see Tyson Fury is scheduled to face David Haye soon.

Fury should be too big &, if he has any sense (debateable at best) he should jab the smaller man to distraction. He is a little chinny tho and Haye can dig, so one never knows.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    The man who a lot of seasoned observes think gave Ali his toughest fights passes away at only 70. Vale.

From the BBC.

&, several rungs down the heavyweight order of merit, I see Tyson Fury is scheduled to face David Haye soon.

Fury should be too big &, if he has any sense (debateable at best) he should jab the smaller man to distraction. He is a little chinny tho and Haye can dig, so one never knows.
    Many good judges have Norton at 3-0 against Ali but the latter received 2 very debatable decisions

As for Fury vs Haye, the former would have to improve a million % from the only time I have seen him fight to trouble Haye

Haye is a very smart guy so I doubt whether he would have taken this fight if he thought Fury had a prayer

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    In Thomas Hauser's wonderful 1994 book "Muhammed Ali: His Life and Times", the story of the third Ali-Norton fight has it said that at the end of the penultimate round, Norton's corner told him to take it easy and stay away because he had the fight won, which the referee said he found a quizzical thing to say even at the time.

Certainly Ken was an important part of the great heavyweight era of the late 60s and 70s.

Interestingly, Norton was badly injured in a car crash after boxing, and Ali used to go visit him a lot. Norton said Ali used to tell appallingly bad jokes and perform lame magic tricks to entertain Ken, who promised himself he would recover sufficiently just so he could bash Ali again for putting him through the agony of being "entertained" by him.
    Last edited by Burgey; 19-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    As for Fury vs Haye, the former would have to improve a million % from the only time I have seen him fight to trouble Haye

Haye is a very smart guy so I doubt whether he would have taken this fight if he thought Fury had a prayer
    Don't get me wrong, I'd actually love Haye to give Fury a pasting. Haye's not not a ****, but Fury's a different level altogether.

Fury has a huge reach advantage tho &, whilst he's not even approaching the same league as a fighter, could do to Haye what Wlad did in the world title bout & keep him on the end of his jab.

Ideally David Price, the de facto good guy on the Brit heavyweight scene would wipe the floor with both, but after his losses to Thompson it's a long way back for him.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Anyone getting the Froch-Groves fight?

Nah, but hope Froch destroys him. Groves seems quite the ****.

Froch is probably slightly on the down slope at 36, but should still have too much with any luck.

Guess De Gale for the winner is the obvious next fight. Unless they fancy Ward, who's arguably the best pound for pound fighter around just now outside of Mayweather.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Nah, but hope Froch destroys him. Groves seems quite the ****.
    My sentiments exactly. Not prepared to pay for it but would like to see a Froch demolition.

Fancied Froch was going to finish Groves but that was a really early, early stoppage. Leaves a bad taste as the fight was cracking. Has to be a rematch as Froch won’t get Ward to come to London after that performance.

Looks like the crowd and Sky have turned on Froch. Groves getting huge cheers, Froch booed.

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread Information