• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

chalky

International Debutant
News reports are saying that Hatton & Mayweather is all but done for December. I'm glad Hatton is taking fight but can't see him beating Mayweather TBH. Expect Hatton to win a few early rounds with his brawling style but Mayweather to work him out and pot shot his way to comfortable if rather boring win 8 rounds to 4.

If Hatton where to beat Mayweather it would probably rank him as Britain's greatest modern day fighter.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
One of my favourite sportsmen, Mundine. Would be a real shame if his career was cut short in his prime.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
News reports are saying that Hatton & Mayweather is all but done for December. I'm glad Hatton is taking fight but can't see him beating Mayweather TBH. Expect Hatton to win a few early rounds with his brawling style but Mayweather to work him out and pot shot his way to comfortable if rather boring win 8 rounds to 4.

If Hatton where to beat Mayweather it would probably rank him as Britain's greatest modern day fighter.
Yep, 12th Dec. The fact it will be at Welterweight is a big plus for Hatton. Mayweather hasnt been at that weight for 2 1/2 years and it will be interesting to see if he has any issues getting the extra 10 lbs off.

My money on Hatton

EDIT- Scratch that. Got the weights mixed up. Hatton going up a weight and Mayweather coming down. Im guessing both wil fight at around 147 which is a big advantage to Mayweather. Still take Hatton though for no other reason than Ive seen him fight live

Last edited:

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Yep, 12th Dec. The fact it will be at Welterweight is a big plus for Hatton. Mayweather hasnt been at that weight for 2 1/2 years and it will be interesting to see if he has any issues getting the extra 10 lbs off.

My money on Hatton

EDIT- Scratch that. Got the weights mixed up. Hatton going up a weight and Mayweather coming down. Im guessing both wil fight at around 147 which is a big advantage to Mayweather. Still take Hatton though for no other reason than Ive seen him fight live

hatton will probably come in around 144, he has only fought once at 147 and sucked big time, albeit against a very big, slick southpaw called luiz collazo.

but regarding this fight, hatton chances are very slim, mayweather is an absolute master, the only two guys i see really testing him are winky wright at 154 or shane mosley at 147. hatton will get cut to ribbons i'm afraid.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fairplay to England's (well, he was born in Hammersmith :whistling) Joe Calzaghe on unifying the super-middleweight crowns by doing what Mundine couldn't in beating Denmark's Mikkel Kessler.

Joe must be putting himself up there when the best British fighters of all time are listed now; he's fought & beaten everyone and ducked no-one.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Fairplay to England's (well, he was born in Hammersmith :whistling) Joe Calzaghe on unifying the super-middleweight crowns by doing what Mundine couldn't in beating Denmark's Mikkel Kessler.

Joe must be putting himself up there when the best British fighters of all time are listed now; he's fought & beaten everyone and ducked no-one.
Great performance and I love him to bits. However, its dubious to say e faught everyone and he may have ducked a few. He has a high proportion of soft defences on his record, along with some very impressive wins.

Never fought Europeans such as Ottke and Michalczewski and none of the Americans (Hopkins, Jones Jr, Tarver) in their prime (though who dodged who is always debatable).

Brilliant win though.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It'll be interesting to see if the one-eyed Mundine can actually provide him with a proper challenge (if of course Calzaghe agrees to a fight).

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Great performance and I love him to bits. However, its dubious to say e faught everyone and he may have ducked a few. He has a high proportion of soft defences on his record, along with some very impressive wins.

Never fought Europeans such as Ottke and Michalczewski and none of the Americans (Hopkins, Jones Jr, Tarver) in their prime (though who dodged who is always debatable).

Brilliant win though.
ottke - avoided him like the plague, well known that he was offered the fight and that joe was willing to travel, not interested. ottke was an utter fraud. watch his abortion of a fight with robin reid.

michalczewski - not in joe's weight division.

hopkins - famously agreed to fight joe but doubled his demands by the time it got down to the negotiating table.

jones jr - left for LHW and later HW (against ruiz) by the time calzaghe made a name for himself.

tarver - just why would he take this fight?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Very few top fighters currently can just stay in one division. In order to make quality fights against top opponents they have to move around divisions and fight at different weights.

Look at Hatton now, Jones Jr and countless others.

There is seldom enough talent to fight top fighters if you stay in one division.

Now Joe has given a nod to moving up a division but he could have done it earlier rather that live safe in the Super Middleweight division.

The best have to find the opponents at diferent levels rather than just take what is at their weight.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
the problem is guys like RJJ and hopkins wanted unreasonable money, money a guy like calzaghe simply won't draw in the states. up until the lacy fight joe was a nobody in the states, no one cared about watching him fight.

still, i'm sure b-hop will find another excuse not to fight calzaghe and drag another name guy up the weights to somewhere they don't belong, ala winky, de la hoya and trinidad.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
the problem is guys like RJJ and hopkins wanted unreasonable money, money a guy like calzaghe simply won't draw in the states. up until the lacy fight joe was a nobody in the states, no one cared about watching him fight.
But that comes back to what I was saying, his record has a lot of mediocre fighters and very few top calibre guys. Americans were not going to pay good money to watch a guy that beat up on 2nd rate talent.

Brewer, Woodhall, Reid and Mitchell may all be good fighters but none of them are genuine superstars. That combined with 'easy' defences against Ferreyra, Will McIntyre, Thornberry, Pudwill and Salam etc means he hardly has the most impressive resume of opponents.

Lacy was his coming out party and possibly the best performance Ive seen from a British fighter in recent memory. But no doubt he was treading water for a while before that fight and hadnt faught the best possible (whether his fault or not).

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
calzaghe's resume is good, not great, although if he were to add chad dawson and one of bute or woods to his resume then he goes down in history as a top 40 P4P fighter. hopkins would be a one sided beatdown that i have no interest in seeing and which calzaghe will get no credit for.

but what makes him such a highly regarded fighter is his head2head ability. he gives anyone in history between 160-168 a nightmare as well as most LHW's throughout history.

Majin

International Debutant
Does anybody who follows the boxing have any idea about betting and stuff? Never been to a bookies in my life but I wanna have a punt on the Hatton/Mayweather fight, but again got no clue where to begin or if the odds on Hatton are even worth the outside chance.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
i know nothing about odds but don't waste your money on hatton, he is going to be taken to the cleaners. this is a stylistic nightmare for him.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Does anybody who follows the boxing have any idea about betting and stuff? Never been to a bookies in my life but I wanna have a punt on the Hatton/Mayweather fight, but again got no clue where to begin or if the odds on Hatton are even worth the outside chance.
Hatton is regarded as a rank outsider by the bookies so is worth a punt.

Biggest question in this fight is whether ref allows a brawl or keeps the fighters separarated. If the former, Hatton's in with a good chance. The latter and it's a blowout as Mayweather is too fast and skilful