Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I pretty much agree with what you say. Super-Middleweight is a relatively new weight.

However, when Collins beat Eubank for the first time it was an upset and Eubank was still riding high.

Another point about Eubank is that he won his wars (well won 1 drew 1) with Benn but could be very ordinary and was himself the beneficiary of some dubious decisions. The fact he went undefeated so long was a lot to do with some generous ring-side interpretations.

One think that you have to love about Eubank was that although he was a talker and flash he had a granite jaw. Cant think of many that prefered him as a fighter over Benn though.

Big Eubank fan TBH could have been regarded as a great better fighter if he would have went to America & faught the likes of Michael Nunn, James Toney & Roy Jones. I hink he would have given them all problems as you said he had a granite chin, excellent skills and decent power in his right hand. But after the 2nd Watson fight he lost a his hunger and got lazy inbetwen fights often having to boil down to weight too close to a fight. which I suppose is understandable under the circumstances. Anyway he decided to take on a bum of the month tour around Europe with only Roccogiani being a decent win. I still think he his twice the fighter Collins ever was. Collins for me doesn't get enough stick for having the weakest World title run ever look at his defences a shot Benn twice, Nevile Brown, Cornelius Carr, Craig Cummings etc and bottled it at short notice when Calzaghe became number one contender (knowing he would get his arse kicked) Eubank replaced Collins at 2 weeks notice giving Calzaghe his hardest fight to date.

Eubank would also later step up two weights and have 2 wars with Carl Thompson at Cruiser Weight the first getting fight of the year.

The boxing website I use the most as it is deep and comprehensive has Calzaghe the top rated Super-Middleweight in history and Mikkel Kessler is rated 10th.

Anytime you have 2 of the top 10 in history going at it then you know you cant miss it.

http://www.boxrec.com/ratings.php?co...us=E&SUBMIT=Go
    For me Roy Jones has to be the greatest Super Middle of all time he gets that for hammering then P4P no 1 James Toney at that weight with one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post

although there is no doubt, calzaghe and kessler are top class fighters, there is no one between 160 and 175 that could take either of them.
    160 - 175 is a bit light in quality ATM I suppose Jermain Taylor would give them a decent fight if he stepped up thenyour looking at a pumped up welterweight in Winky Wright & 40+ Bernard Hopkins.

At 175 Paul Briggs or Chad Dawson would be awesome fights with either Calzaghe or Kessler.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Big fight tonight; Bernard Hopkins v Winky Wright. Interesting the limit is set at 12st 2lbs, slightly over the super-middle limit. Should be the classic match between the front-foot fighter & the defensive counterpuncher.

Think Wright will just have too much for the 42 year old Hopkins, alhtough he's no spring chicken himself to be fair.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by chalky View Post
    Big Eubank fan TBH could have been regarded as a great better fighter if he would have went to America & faught the likes of Michael Nunn, James Toney & Roy Jones. I hink he would have given them all problems as you said he had a granite chin, excellent skills and decent power in his right hand. But after the 2nd Watson fight he lost a his hunger and got lazy inbetwen fights often having to boil down to weight too close to a fight. which I suppose is understandable under the circumstances. Anyway he decided to take on a bum of the month tour around Europe with only Roccogiani being a decent win. I still think he his twice the fighter Collins ever was. Collins for me doesn't get enough stick for having the weakest World title run ever look at his defences a shot Benn twice, Nevile Brown, Cornelius Carr, Craig Cummings etc and bottled it at short notice when Calzaghe became number one contender (knowing he would get his arse kicked) Eubank replaced Collins at 2 weeks notice giving Calzaghe his hardest fight to date.

Eubank would also later step up two weights and have 2 wars with Carl Thompson at Cruiser Weight the first getting fight of the year.
    brilliant post. the watson fight killed something inside eubank, the same happend with benn after what happend in his fight with the g man.

U19 Captain
    160 - 175 is a bit light in quality ATM I suppose Jermain Taylor would give them a decent fight if he stepped up thenyour looking at a pumped up welterweight in Winky Wright & 40+ Bernard Hopkins.

At 175 Paul Briggs or Chad Dawson would be awesome fights with either Calzaghe or Kessler.
    jermaine taylor is nothing but a hbo backed fraud who has got some highly dubious decsions, the result against winky wright was an absolute farce, kelly pavlik is gonna blast taylor out when they meet in thumping style.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Big fight tonight; Bernard Hopkins v Winky Wright. Interesting the limit is set at 12st 2lbs, slightly over the super-middle limit. Should be the classic match between the front-foot fighter & the defensive counterpuncher.

Think Wright will just have too much for the 42 year old Hopkins, alhtough he's no spring chicken himself to be fair.
    hopkins was always going to be a stylistic nightmare for winky. hopkins is a master against southpaws, and whilst winky is brilliant at getting his jab off against stationary targets, hopkins was too fluid in movement for him, and far too crafty.

winky often reminds me of a bad comedian, brilliant set up, no punch line.

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post

The Katsidis vs Amonsot fight beforehand was better in my biased opinion, and apparently i wasn't the only one thinking along those lines, as iirc the American commentators on foxtel said much the same thing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post
    jermaine taylor is nothing but a hbo backed fraud who has got some highly dubious decsions, the result against winky wright was an absolute farce, kelly pavlik is gonna blast taylor out when they meet in thumping style.
    Pavlik's win against Miranda was impressive but Taylor is a different ball game, I thought the Winky fight was close not a robbery by any stretch and afterall he did beat Bhop twice (again close fights but he was more than competative in both). Fancy Taylor to win on points quite comfortably against Pavlik 8 rounds to 4.

U19 Captain
    Pavlik's win against Miranda was impressive but Taylor is a different ball game, I thought the Winky fight was close not a robbery by any stretch and afterall he did beat Bhop twice (again close fights but he was more than competative in both). Fancy Taylor to win on points quite comfortably against Pavlik 8 rounds to 4.

my worry if i were a taylor fan would be that he was rocked by bernard hopkins, a guy who has pretty much lost all his old punching power, and since then has been matched up against light hitting winky, and blown up welters ouma and spinks, it would seem the taylor team may be worried about that beard of his, and if pavlik connects then it may be goodnight jermaine.

i'm on a roll at the moment with chin checks after amir khan was proven to have a glass chin v the featherfisted willie limond.

News reports are saying that Hatton & Mayweather is all but done for December. I'm glad Hatton is taking fight but can't see him beating Mayweather TBH. Expect Hatton to win a few early rounds with his brawling style but Mayweather to work him out and pot shot his way to comfortable if rather boring win 8 rounds to 4.

If Hatton where to beat Mayweather it would probably rank him as Britain's greatest modern day fighter.

Mundine's boxing future in doubt

A big blow to Australian boxing, despite the fact he's a loudmouth, he was awesome in the ring.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    One of my favourite sportsmen, Mundine. Would be a real shame if his career was cut short in his prime.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

News reports are saying that Hatton & Mayweather is all but done for December. I'm glad Hatton is taking fight but can't see him beating Mayweather TBH. Expect Hatton to win a few early rounds with his brawling style but Mayweather to work him out and pot shot his way to comfortable if rather boring win 8 rounds to 4.

If Hatton where to beat Mayweather it would probably rank him as Britain's greatest modern day fighter.
    Yep, 12th Dec. The fact it will be at Welterweight is a big plus for Hatton. Mayweather hasnt been at that weight for 2 1/2 years and it will be interesting to see if he has any issues getting the extra 10 lbs off.

My money on Hatton

EDIT- Scratch that. Got the weights mixed up. Hatton going up a weight and Mayweather coming down. Im guessing both wil fight at around 147 which is a big advantage to Mayweather. Still take Hatton though for no other reason than Ive seen him fight live
    Last edited by Goughy; 15-08-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

U19 Captain
    Yep, 12th Dec. The fact it will be at Welterweight is a big plus for Hatton. Mayweather hasnt been at that weight for 2 1/2 years and it will be interesting to see if he has any issues getting the extra 10 lbs off.

My money on Hatton

EDIT- Scratch that. Got the weights mixed up. Hatton going up a weight and Mayweather coming down. Im guessing both wil fight at around 147 which is a big advantage to Mayweather. Still take Hatton though for no other reason than Ive seen him fight live

hatton will probably come in around 144, he has only fought once at 147 and sucked big time, albeit against a very big, slick southpaw called luiz collazo.

but regarding this fight, hatton chances are very slim, mayweather is an absolute master, the only two guys i see really testing him are winky wright at 154 or shane mosley at 147. hatton will get cut to ribbons i'm afraid.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information