• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, but hope Froch destroys him. Groves seems quite the ****.

Froch is probably slightly on the down slope at 36, but should still have too much with any luck.

Guess De Gale for the winner is the obvious next fight
. Unless they fancy Ward, who's arguably the best pound for pound fighter around just now outside of Mayweather.
DeGale fights at Bluewater on Channel 5. He hasn't beaten anyone yet to earn a fight with someone like Froch.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TBF neither had Groves (well, DeGale excepted, I suppose) and he was somehow the mandatory challenger.
Groves was ranked 6th in the World coming into this fight.

Next fight for Froch should be a very winable, big money fight against top 5 ranked Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. No point fighting Ward. It is a bugger of a fight to win, it will be boring and Ward doesnt 'sell' so the money will not be massive for such a difficult fight.

Win that then retire. A Groves rematch, while just and logical, doesnt do anything for Froch when he has so few fights left in his career.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Groves was ranked 6th in the World coming into this fight.

Next fight for Froch should be a very winable, big money fight against top 5 ranked Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. No point fighting Ward. It is a bugger of a fight to win, it will be boring and Ward doesnt 'sell' so the money will not be massive for such a difficult fight.

Win that then retire. A Groves rematch, while just and logical, doesnt do anything for Froch when he has so few fights left in his career.
Maybe with the WBA, but he was the IBF's mandatory challenger. Froch was told to fight him or be stripped. Currant Bun.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Groves is ranked #9 as a Super Middleweight on BoxRec, should be a lot higher after that performance, he looked fantastic. Just hope he gets a rematch. I was a Groves fan before the fight, even more so now. He's not a dick, he just knows how to hype fights, and he did a fantastic job hyping this one. Big fan of George Groves, think he could go a long way in the sport.

Absolutely ridiculous stoppage. Froch was put out in the first round. His legs went, his eyes rolled back and his head bounced off the canvas. He was gone, yet it wasn't stopped; and yet Groves slips up once, gets hurt (nowhere near as badly as Froch) and it gets stopped, ludicrous refereeing. Boxing and MMA really need to take a look at how the sport is regulated. It was one of the worst displays of refereeing I've seen since Kim Wilmslow stood a dude up who was about to lock in an Arm Triangle in the UFC. Firstly the stoppage absolutely sucked, no way that should have been stopped, and then somehow Froch avoided being deducted a point despite being warned several times for punching on the break, and punching after the bell. It's always contentious to claim biased refereeing or judging, but that was as close to a biased ref as I've seen.

The people that run Boxing really need to take a look at themselves, and re-assess the direction the sport is going. It's run by morons, refereed by people who don't know what they're doing, and the judging is even worse. Look at C J Ross. Responsible for giving Bradley the win over Pacquiao, somehow kept her job after than, and then went on to score Mayweather-Alvarez as a draw. That is just incompetence of the highest level; either that, or she's getting pay offs from ludicrously rich people in Vegas that are betting on weird results. The odds for Mayweather to beat Alvarez by MD were 5/1, the odds for a UD were way worse. Her scoring the fight a draw would have made a small number of people very rich. The State Athletic Commissions are Government run though, so the chances of them putting their hands up, admitting they're wrong, firing all the people who shouldn't be judging or refereeing fights and hiring people who know what they're doing are slim to none. Combat Sports are so corruptly run, it's so frustrating.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Barker worse than his bite

Darren Barker, who our criminal boxing fans may remember as the slightly spawny vanquisher of Danny Geale, got properly mullerd byt Felix Sturm last night.

From the BBC.

If Barker's hip is really as bad as is suggested a Sturm/Geale rematch might be the obvious next step for both.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, 29 years ago today, this happened.

A much hyped super fight which more than lived up to expectations. What a dreadful majesty there was to it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, knew what that'd be before I clicked.

More action in the first minute and a half than one sees in three title fights nowadays. What a warrior Hagler was. Kudos to Tommy for taking it to the great man, but he let it become Marvin's fight.

Still think Hagler was robbed against Leonard too, ftr.

Burgey

Yeah I think he was too.

FMD he was a great fighter. Fantastic era for middleweights (or thereabouts) around that time. Those three blokes plus Duran as well. Leonard was a great fighter but christ he had everything his own way. He was certainly the chosen one. The fact they invented Super Middleweight as a division so he could beat Lalonde and get 5 world titles was a ****ing disgrace. Likewise the draw in the second Hearns fight where Tommy knocked him down twice. Even Leonard admitted Hearns beat him. Loved Tommy Hearns. WAFG

Last edited:

Burgey

Love the comment about two minutes in.... How long can this one last?

Ridiculous fight.

Here's another fave - Hagler v Mugabi, sixth round. ****ing insane action from go to woah.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Only found out recently that Hagler retired because Leonard refused him a rematch

Leonard was a brilliant fighter but was an 80s version of Floyd in that he picked his targets and only stepped into the ring if almost everything was in his favour

social

Yeah I think he was too.

FMD he was a great fighter. Fantastic era for middleweights (or thereabouts) around that time. Those three blokes plus Duran as well. Leonard was a great fighter but christ he had everything his own way. He was certainly the chosen one. The fact they invented Super Middleweight as a division so he could beat Lalonde and get 5 world titles was a ****ing disgrace. Likewise the draw in the second Hearns fight where Tommy knocked him down twice. Even Leonard admitted Hearns beat him. Loved Tommy Hearns. WAFG
Especially as Lalonde was the light heavy champ and was forced to come down in weight with a ****ed shoulder just to get a payday

Tommy was a magnificent fighter and one of my favourites (I saw him slaughter Duran on the big screen in a cinema in Leicester Square)

His reaction after Leonard 2 spoke volumes for his class - despite being robbed, he said something like "not disappointed as it is just an honour to share the ring with Ray."

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
just watched it then :laugh: surely a set up. what would he be doing in dusseldorf

i think he's about 9 bucks. nobody could give him much of a chance if any. but how good would it be

social

just watched it then :laugh: surely a set up. what would he be doing in dusseldorf

i think he's about 9 bucks. nobody could give him much of a chance if any. but how good would it be
Unless Leapai can tee off early, Isee this fight being deathly boring with a jab from Wlad followed by pushing Leapai's head down and bear hug

After a few rounds, Wlad will probably throw a few rights but it will likely be caution all the way

uvelocity

International Coach
Totally outclassed

TBH, he didn't deserve the fight and it showed in the ring
how he didnt deserve the fight when he resoundingly beat the number one contender. i know this because i caught the bus with joe calzaghe the other day.

klitschko is just an amazing athlete. too big, too skillful. amazing beast of a man.