• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bad night for British boxing with Price being ko'd and Audley back in the headlines

The bloke that knocked Price out couldnt knock the skin off a rice custard so not much hope for a meaningful comeback

Shame for Price as he looked to have talent and to be a decent guy

Boxing is a cruel sport

As for Audley, reckon I could knock him out with the way that he holds his right low (he is a southpaw) and chin up

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Another first round defeat for FrAudley tonight. I reckon we're getting into Geoff Boycott's mother territory now.
I didn't even know this fight was taking place but what the **** is he doing fighting Wilder? Wilder is unbeaten, a top 15 fighter and arguably the best American Heavyweight.

This is ****ing ridiculous. He should fire his management for even considering taking this fight.

social

I didn't even know this fight was taking place but what the **** is he doing fighting Wilder? Wilder is unbeaten, a top 15 fighter and arguably the best American Heavyweight.

This is ****ing ridiculous. He should fire his management for even considering taking this fight.
Wilder hasn't actually fought anybody though and Audley's camp probably thought that if he could beat a "name", he might somehow fluke a title shot - he is 41 after all

Anyway, 3 first round kos whilst hardly throwing a punch is not the best way to go out

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wilder hasn't actually fought anybody though and Audley's camp probably thought that if he could beat a "name", he might somehow fluke a title shot - he is 41 after all

Anyway, 3 first round kos whilst hardly throwing a punch is not the best way to go out
Wilder is the current great Black hope and while he hadn't beaten a name, after beating Audley, he still hasn't. This, IMO, was a terrible fight for Harrison. He was set up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Audrey's calling it quits now. BBC.

Great physical specimen, just didn't quite have the heart for the pro game. I mean, it's easy for me to say that from my sofa, I know, & no one who climbs through the ropes really lacks bottle, but he was a much more imposing figure than (say) Haye, who has more mongrel in him & did win a version of the world title.

social

Audrey's calling it quits now. BBC.

Great physical specimen, just didn't quite have the heart for the pro game. I mean, it's easy for me to say that from my sofa, I know, & no one who climbs through the ropes really lacks bottle, but he was a much more imposing figure than (say) Haye, who has more mongrel in him & did win a version of the world title.
There was an interesting article by one of the British scribes this week who basically said the same thing and pointed to Audley's response to his first pro contract - having been given a million quid by the BBC and allowed to pick his first opponents (4 or 6?), he responded by choosing guys that were little better than the neighborhood drunk

social

Mayweather fight on free to air - nice

Mayweather class above made for a relatively boring fight unless you appreciate the skills of a master craftsman

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I suppose to be fair to Audrey he's only been retired about five minutes.

However one struggles to see the point, earning more money aside. Patently hasn't the heart or the chin for the highest levels.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Very good win by Carl Froch tonight, avenging one of his two previous career defeats against the Danish fighter Mikkel Kessler.

Fun fact - a few years ago he defeated my second cousin (my cousin's son) in a British and Commonwealth title fight.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha, that's so cool.

Well, not that Froch beat the boy, beat you know what I mean.

Given your well-established connexions to Derby, I'm guessing your second cousin's initials would be DH?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ha, that's so cool.

Well, not that Froch beat the boy, beat you know what I mean.

Given your well-established connexions to Derby, I'm guessing your second cousin's initials would be DH?
That's the one. A tearaway as a lad, but getting into boxing and martial arts made him. His dad is my mum's brother's son, and we used to be very close. Even closer when he used to keep a pub.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some classic post-comeback Ali fights on ESPN right now, with commentary from Dundee and Burt Sugar. Get in!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor Bonavena - dead by '76. Shot at a ranch in Reno by the husband of a former madam he was filling in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bad night for British boxing with Price being ko'd and Audley back in the headlines

The bloke that knocked Price out couldnt knock the skin off a rice custard so not much hope for a meaningful comeback

Shame for Price as he looked to have talent and to be a decent guy

Boxing is a cruel sport

As for Audley, reckon I could knock him out with the way that he holds his right low (he is a southpaw) and chin up
Thompson KOs Price again.

It's a real shame for Price, who is a genuinely good guy, but the step up in class to fight a guy who, an early career loss aside, hasn't lost to anyone except Klitschko jr was clearly too much.

An immediate rematch seemed doubly optimistic too.