Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing thread

Worst British winning Olympian ever.

At least the Pacquiao Margarito fight was watchable albeit just as one sided as the Haye Harrison bout. What a legend Pacquiao is.

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Worst British winning Olympian ever.

At least the Pacquiao Margarito fight was watchable albeit just as one sided as the Haye Harrison bout. What a legend Pacquiao is.
    Harrison was truly appalling - didnt come to fight at all

Magarito - pfft

Guy is a limited, cheating **** who should've been banned for life and was a hand-picked opponent from the same stable as Manny

2 fights that were designed to rip-off the punters and nothing more

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Didn't see Audrey/Haye fight but thought it interesting that even now Harrison has refused to pull the plug.

Can't see where a five times defeated, gun-shy 39 year old can go from here.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Pacquiao was brilliant again tonight.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    Harrison was truly appalling - didnt come to fight at all

Magarito - pfft

Guy is a limited, cheating **** who should've been banned for life and was a hand-picked opponent from the same stable as Manny

2 fights that were designed to rip-off the punters and nothing more
    If Pacquiao wanted to hand-pick an opponent why would he pick someone 6 inches taller and 20lbs heavier? Margacheato is **** and a ****, but certainly had a few things going for him that Pacquiao had never been up against before (and frankly a guy his size has no business fighting a guy Margacheato's size at all).

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Pacquiao was tremendous again. His fitness is unbelievable, he is a true legend of the sport, I sincerely hope that him and Floyd Mayweather can iron out the problems and get the fight that the whole world wants to see, on.

Margarito had his moments though, and putting everything he's done in the past to one side, if that is possible, he showed amazing warrior like qualities in surviving some of the onslaughts inflicted upon him from Pacman. A six-weight world champion is an unbelievable feat.

As for the Haye-Harrison dance, that was as appauling as it gets for the two complete rounds of the fight. Even the ref had to step in and tell them to at least think about throwing a punch. Harrison had the opportunity that many believe he never should have got, and he goes and does what he did last night! All this hype about his left-hand, and he never even threw it, he was fighting for the world title, something he's dreamed of since he was a kid!!!Still at least he kidded a lot of people out of their hard earned money to line his own pockets, a job in marketing (or fraud) may be his next career option.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    If Pacquiao wanted to hand-pick an opponent why would he pick someone 6 inches taller and 20lbs heavier? Margacheato is **** and a ****, but certainly had a few things going for him that Pacquiao had never been up against before (and frankly a guy his size has no business fighting a guy Margacheato's size at all).
    Who has Margarito fought?

Apart from the following, it's a big zero when it comes to world class

Williams - 'cheato was picked apart and exposed

Cotto - 'cheato was battered before scoring a late tko

Mosley - totally outclassed by a fading Sugar and exposed as a cheat which seriously questioned his "comeback" against Cotto

Guy is a fraud and a cheat who only gained this fight by virtue of being under the same management

Zero credibility to Manny for this one I'm afraid

Who has Margarito fought?

Apart from the following, it's a big zero when it comes to world class

Williams - 'cheato was picked apart and exposed

Cotto - 'cheato was battered before scoring a late tko

Mosley - totally outclassed by a fading Sugar and exposed as a cheat which seriously questioned his "comeback" against Cotto

Guy is a fraud and a cheat who only gained this fight by virtue of being under the same management

Zero credibility to Manny for this one I'm afraid
    Martinez? Margarito only lost a narrow decision to Williams (currently ranked #1 middleweight in the world by boxrec) and he knocked out Martinez (#2 middleweight in the world according to boxrec). It really depends what you consider "world class"....Cotto was the closest thing to Pac and Floyd when Margarito beat him as well. If you consider that the top 4 or 5 guys in each division are "world class" than I think that Margarito is definitely in that class, with the rest of the pretenders battling away below the big 2.

Of course, Margarito's defining win against Cotto has massive question marks over it, and I hate him as much as the next guy. The plaster in the gloves thing is life-ban worthy.

Speaking of Williams, what about him v Pacquiao? I think I might have mentioned this here before. If Pac is gonna call himself a super middleweight, or even a welterweight, he can fight Williams. It would be an incredible size mismatch, Pac would struggle to even reach his head lol. Might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry View Post
    Martinez? Margarito only lost a narrow decision to Williams (currently ranked #1 middleweight in the world by boxrec) and he knocked out Martinez (#2 middleweight in the world according to boxrec). It really depends what you consider "world class"....Cotto was the closest thing to Pac and Floyd when Margarito beat him as well. If you consider that the top 4 or 5 guys in each division are "world class" than I think that Margarito is definitely in that class, with the rest of the pretenders battling away below the big 2.

Of course, Margarito's defining win against Cotto has massive question marks over it, and I hate him as much as the next guy. The plaster in the gloves thing is life-ban worthy.

Speaking of Williams, what about him v Pacquiao? I think I might have mentioned this here before. If Pac is gonna call himself a super middleweight, or even a welterweight, he can fight Williams. It would be an incredible size mismatch, Pac would struggle to even reach his head lol. Might be interesting.
    Williams beat Martinez in a highly disputed decision before the latter went on to beat Pavlik for the undisputed middleweight title

Until the Williams fight, Martinez was regarded as being the quintissential journeyman but has certainly proved himself as being world class in his last 2 fights

Last I heard, Martinez was returning to 154 lbs as he is too small for 160 and was targetting a rematch with Paul. However, Williams apparently wants Mosley as that's where the bucks are

Tbh, Paquiao should either fight Mosley or PBF as they're the only 2 fights that really can be justified to the public at large and the others would probably entail a catch-weight which really defeats the whole purpose anyway
    Last edited by social; 15-11-2010 at 05:19 AM.

Williams beat Martinez in a highly disputed decision before the latter went on to beat Pavlik for the undisputed middleweight title

Until the Williams fight, Martinez was regarded as being the quintissential journeyman but has certainly proved himself as being world class in his last 2 fights
    Sorry, I may not have been clear enough. I was referring to Margarito. Margarito beat Martinez by KO.

Anthony Mundine Knocked Out: Video | Garth Wood KOs Mundine: Video

The general consensus is that Wood is nothing more than a pub brawler so it looks as though the Mundine circus has finally been shut down

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Looked like such a scrappy fight. The nation rejoices though.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Looked like such a scrappy fight. The nation rejoices though.
    To say the least. Be interesting to see what he does from here though, probs try another rematch with Green or some rubbish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Anthony Mundine Knocked Out: Video | Garth Wood KOs Mundine: Video

The general consensus is that Wood is nothing more than a pub brawler so it looks as though the Mundine circus has finally been shut down
    Yep, he certainly looks that way, although he's now strung together wins over Oganov/Kariuki/Mundine...not exactly elite fighters, but fairly up there in the Aussie scene at least.

Wood seems to have a uniquely effective method of tackle/bleed/punch on the break

I only just realised watching it again this morning, but I reckon a headclash had a big part to play in that...Mundine goes in to throw a right hand and suddenly cowers back against the ropes as if he's been hit, even though Wood doesn't even throw a punch....he then hardly defends himself as Wood lands that last 3 punch combo.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Sonny Bill the boxer...

From the BBC.

When did this happen? It completely slipped under my radar & (apparently) he's already fought twice.

If the pic is a fair reflection his oppo looks like he may've skipped a few early morning runs. But not any meals...

Page 18 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread Information