• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus Ortiz. First rule of any fighting sport?

Always defend yourself.

Fuming at Mayweather giving a 40 minute presser basically giving reasons why he won't fight Manny.

Burgey

Reports here Frazier has passed away.

What a heart that man had. His fights with Ali are the pillars of boxing. I'd like to think their emnity softened in later years. Was probably the one time Ali was genuinely cruel to an opponent (save Ernie Terrell, but that's a whole other story). The greatest heavyweight era I'd say.

Vale.

Edit: And if anyone hasn't seen the Thriller in Manila in it's entirety, you should. You can't imagine a better heavyweight fight.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
R.I.P Smokin' Joe. With you Burgey in hoping that the enmity between him and Ali softened towards the end. I doubt it though, it seems that was a wound too large to heal. :(

Burgey

I commend to everyone the excellent 2009 doco on the Thriller in Manila. It really sets out the depth of Ali's campaign to protray Frazier as an Uncle Tom. It's a superb doco, in the spirit of When We Were Kings. it's on You Tube for anyone who's interested.

FMD, Frazier lent Ali money when he was out of boxing for those three years. It was a terrible thing Ali did to him - like their fights wouldn't have sold out anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Reports here Frazier has passed away.

What a heart that man had. His fights with Ali are the pillars of boxing. I'd like to think their emnity softened in later years. Was probably the one time Ali was genuinely cruel to an opponent (save Ernie Terrell, but that's a whole other story). The greatest heavyweight era I'd say.

Vale.

Edit: And if anyone hasn't seen the Thriller in Manila in it's entirety, you should. You can't imagine a better heavyweight fight.
Sonny Liston too, tbf.

RIP Joe. Liver cancer nearly always the worst news, but the docs must've caught it very late.

Burgey

Sonny Liston too, tbf.

RIP Joe. Liver cancer nearly always the worst news, but the docs must've caught it very late.
Yeah, he mocked Liston's age for sure and called him an Old Bear. I think some of that was actually grounded in the fact he was scared of him.

But this thing with Frazier was really poor. I think there was a time there in the early 70s where, frankly, Ali was very militant in the Nation of Islam, and his rivalry with Frazier was born of that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus, there's an "you're old now" moment if ever there was one: Chris Eubank's son (Chris jr, obvz) makes his debut tonight on the Tyson Fury undercard.

If he's half the boxer his old man was he'll go ok. Had a massive heart, Eubank sr. His bouts versus Watson, Benn, Collins & Thomson were all proper fights.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Style-wise at least he's his old man's doppleganger. Low hands, strong jab, looking to unload the right hook.

Doesn't seem to have his dad's dig tho.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Looked a bit witless when the other guy hid behind his guard, which was 99% of the time.
Yeah, the Lithuanian had just come not to get his head taken off, so it's hard to know quite what to make.

Guarantee he'd have last less than 90 seconds against his old man tho.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fury seems to have an aversion to jabbing. Just letting the other guy charge at him without earning the right to get near him.

Jacknife

International Captain
Entertaining fight but Fury is overhyped to **** and he's douchebag to boot. Seemed like there was bit of trouble in the crowd when Fury when down in the 2nd, right in the middle of where his family were sat.