• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Woodster

International Captain
Pacquiao was tremendous again. His fitness is unbelievable, he is a true legend of the sport, I sincerely hope that him and Floyd Mayweather can iron out the problems and get the fight that the whole world wants to see, on.

Margarito had his moments though, and putting everything he's done in the past to one side, if that is possible, he showed amazing warrior like qualities in surviving some of the onslaughts inflicted upon him from Pacman. A six-weight world champion is an unbelievable feat.

As for the Haye-Harrison dance, that was as appauling as it gets for the two complete rounds of the fight. Even the ref had to step in and tell them to at least think about throwing a punch. Harrison had the opportunity that many believe he never should have got, and he goes and does what he did last night! All this hype about his left-hand, and he never even threw it, he was fighting for the world title, something he's dreamed of since he was a kid!!!Still at least he kidded a lot of people out of their hard earned money to line his own pockets, a job in marketing (or fraud) may be his next career option.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If Pacquiao wanted to hand-pick an opponent why would he pick someone 6 inches taller and 20lbs heavier? Margacheato is **** and a ****, but certainly had a few things going for him that Pacquiao had never been up against before (and frankly a guy his size has no business fighting a guy Margacheato's size at all).
Who has Margarito fought?

Apart from the following, it's a big zero when it comes to world class

Williams - 'cheato was picked apart and exposed

Cotto - 'cheato was battered before scoring a late tko

Mosley - totally outclassed by a fading Sugar and exposed as a cheat which seriously questioned his "comeback" against Cotto

Guy is a fraud and a cheat who only gained this fight by virtue of being under the same management

Zero credibility to Manny for this one I'm afraid

thierry henry

International Coach
Who has Margarito fought?

Apart from the following, it's a big zero when it comes to world class

Williams - 'cheato was picked apart and exposed

Cotto - 'cheato was battered before scoring a late tko

Mosley - totally outclassed by a fading Sugar and exposed as a cheat which seriously questioned his "comeback" against Cotto

Guy is a fraud and a cheat who only gained this fight by virtue of being under the same management

Zero credibility to Manny for this one I'm afraid
Martinez? Margarito only lost a narrow decision to Williams (currently ranked #1 middleweight in the world by boxrec) and he knocked out Martinez (#2 middleweight in the world according to boxrec). It really depends what you consider "world class"....Cotto was the closest thing to Pac and Floyd when Margarito beat him as well. If you consider that the top 4 or 5 guys in each division are "world class" than I think that Margarito is definitely in that class, with the rest of the pretenders battling away below the big 2.

Of course, Margarito's defining win against Cotto has massive question marks over it, and I hate him as much as the next guy. The plaster in the gloves thing is life-ban worthy.

Speaking of Williams, what about him v Pacquiao? I think I might have mentioned this here before. If Pac is gonna call himself a super middleweight, or even a welterweight, he can fight Williams. It would be an incredible size mismatch, Pac would struggle to even reach his head lol. Might be interesting.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Martinez? Margarito only lost a narrow decision to Williams (currently ranked #1 middleweight in the world by boxrec) and he knocked out Martinez (#2 middleweight in the world according to boxrec). It really depends what you consider "world class"....Cotto was the closest thing to Pac and Floyd when Margarito beat him as well. If you consider that the top 4 or 5 guys in each division are "world class" than I think that Margarito is definitely in that class, with the rest of the pretenders battling away below the big 2.

Of course, Margarito's defining win against Cotto has massive question marks over it, and I hate him as much as the next guy. The plaster in the gloves thing is life-ban worthy.

Speaking of Williams, what about him v Pacquiao? I think I might have mentioned this here before. If Pac is gonna call himself a super middleweight, or even a welterweight, he can fight Williams. It would be an incredible size mismatch, Pac would struggle to even reach his head lol. Might be interesting.
Williams beat Martinez in a highly disputed decision before the latter went on to beat Pavlik for the undisputed middleweight title

Until the Williams fight, Martinez was regarded as being the quintissential journeyman but has certainly proved himself as being world class in his last 2 fights

Last I heard, Martinez was returning to 154 lbs as he is too small for 160 and was targetting a rematch with Paul. However, Williams apparently wants Mosley as that's where the bucks are

Tbh, Paquiao should either fight Mosley or PBF as they're the only 2 fights that really can be justified to the public at large and the others would probably entail a catch-weight which really defeats the whole purpose anyway

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Williams beat Martinez in a highly disputed decision before the latter went on to beat Pavlik for the undisputed middleweight title

Until the Williams fight, Martinez was regarded as being the quintissential journeyman but has certainly proved himself as being world class in his last 2 fights
Sorry, I may not have been clear enough. I was referring to Margarito. Margarito beat Martinez by KO.

thierry henry

International Coach
Anthony Mundine Knocked Out: Video | Garth Wood KOs Mundine: Video

The general consensus is that Wood is nothing more than a pub brawler so it looks as though the Mundine circus has finally been shut down
Yep, he certainly looks that way, although he's now strung together wins over Oganov/Kariuki/Mundine...not exactly elite fighters, but fairly up there in the Aussie scene at least.

Wood seems to have a uniquely effective method of tackle/bleed/punch on the break :laugh:

I only just realised watching it again this morning, but I reckon a headclash had a big part to play in that...Mundine goes in to throw a right hand and suddenly cowers back against the ropes as if he's been hit, even though Wood doesn't even throw a punch....he then hardly defends himself as Wood lands that last 3 punch combo.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sonny Bill the boxer...

From the BBC.

When did this happen? It completely slipped under my radar & (apparently) he's already fought twice.

If the pic is a fair reflection his oppo looks like he may've skipped a few early morning runs. But not any meals...

thierry henry

International Coach
From the BBC.

When did this happen? It completely slipped under my radar & (apparently) he's already fought twice.

If the pic is a fair reflection his oppo looks like he may've skipped a few early morning runs. But not any meals...
tbf I don't see any reason why SBW's boxing career would've made any waves in the Northern Hemisphere media prior to now, when he's a big name All Black and therefore I assume somewhat newsworthy. Was his departure from league a story up there?

Has had two fights, one this year and one last, both in Australia and both KO wins against novices including the fatty in the pic.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
tbf I don't see any reason why SBW's boxing career would've made any waves in the Northern Hemisphere media prior to now, when he's a big name All Black and therefore I assume somewhat newsworthy. Was his departure from league a story up there?

Has had two fights, one this year and one last, both in Australia and both KO wins against novices including the fatty in the pic.
Ah, chippy league fans; we have them in the UK too.

SBW's departure from league (epsecially the manner in which he went about it) definitely attracted a few column inches and I always keep half an eye on most things NRL so I was surprised it had escaped my attention is all.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Anyone saw the Amir Khan fight?

Pretty good up until the 10th round where he almost got knocked out.

Majin

International Debutant
Was a great fight, one of the best of the year across any form of combat sport imho. Big respect for Amir, proved a hell of a lot of people wrong by displaying massive heart and, while I wouldn't say a solid chin because he was definitely hurt on multiple occasions he definitely showed he's not got a glass jaw. Also think he probably could have avoided some of the beating he took but it definitely looked like he was trying to prove a point out there against a guy with massive power. I think it'll be a long time, if ever before we see Amir take the same kind of damage he did in that fight. Looking forward to seeing where he goes from here, still don't think he is ready for a guy like Mayweather but with a couple more fights under his belt and 18 or so to let his skills improve, who knows? He's definitely got a lot of the tools necessary to give Floyd issues, though as it stands his defence is still not good enough to not get picked apart imho.

Say what you like about the lad, though, he is fun to watch. His hand speed and combinations are incredible.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I was very saddened to learn of the death of former British Heavyweight Champion Gary Mason at the age of 48. Not a great boxer by any stretch of the imagination but at one point the only real difference between him and Frank Bruno was the hype.

thierry henry

International Coach
SBW won his 3rd fight btw, this time by a wide UD against an inexperienced 36 year old bum with a 3-5 record. He did his best Ali impersonation for 6 rounds without threatening to knock the bloke out, and predictably NZ media have trumpeted it as a victory against a "real" opponent and proof that he has genuine boxing skills 8-)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jesus. There's hyperbole then there's madness, then there's madness that insults.