Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing thread

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Very true, that. Dunno why a bloke of his age and his class is still doing the rounds. Money must come into it somewhere I suppose.

Sounds like Green has a puncher's chance, anyway.
    Yeah he does. I think Jones will be too fast for him though. IIRC the winner here faces Hopkins.

That would be a massive, massive pay day for Jones especially.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Anyone watch the fight? Or did you blink and miss it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

EDIT: at the fight, not Clapo.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Haha, Danny Greeeeeeeen!!! Fantastic stuff from the boy.

Feel sorry for Jones - one of the greatest careers ever, but as he's gotten older, the old "left hand below the waist as a taunt" style has gotten more and more dangerous. T'was a good shot, right on the money. Glad I didn't PPV it.

Just watched it. Very impressive and sad at the same time.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    YouTube - Roy Jones vs Danny Green -in HIGH QUALITY !!

EDIT: Claims of match being fixed...substantiated or utoob BS?
    Last edited by ripper868; 04-12-2009 at 05:40 AM.
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

The Youtube comments are a pretty sad reflection on either the "fans" who make comments on Youtube, the status of the sport, or possibly a bit of both.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Yeah people are idiots. RJJ is old and long past his best, fights with a low left hand and his speed and reflexes aren't what they used to be and he got caught with a pretty huge straight right in the temple. After that he was pretty much gone. Calling it a fix is a joke. He had nothing and he was getting swarmed on. Eventually that Green bloke would have found his way through and then some serious damage would have been done. Good stoppage for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Majin View Post
    Yeah people are idiots. RJJ is old and long past his best, fights with a low left hand and his speed and reflexes aren't what they used to be and he got caught with a pretty huge straight right in the temple. After that he was pretty much gone. Calling it a fix is a joke. He had nothing and he was getting swarmed on. Eventually that Green bloke would have found his way through and then some serious damage would have been done. Good stoppage for mine.
    Agreed

Roy should've retired after winning a version of the heavyweight championship

Doesnt need the money (was on a guaranteed $5 million per fight for eons) but ego got in the way and now he finds himself getting smashed by guys that would've hardly qualified as sparring partners when he was at his peak

The fact that Green is now running from Dawson (a very high quality fighter who would toy with him IMO) and targetting another pensioner in Bernard, sums up what is wrong with boxing

Saw the other day that Mundine is still calling out Pavlik for a shot at him but Kelly isn't biting at all. Felix Sturm wants nothing to do with him either.

Instead he's got Robert Medley. Heh. His latest comments did make me cringe a bit:

But Mundine, with 37 wins from 40 fights, vowed to silence his younger challenger - and his legion of critics - at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on January 11.

"They all talk before the fight. He is just another cracker that wants to beat dart boy, put me in my place. It ain't gonna happen," he said.

"I know he is going to come to win. He's got the big Aussie flag [tattoo] on his back, on his neck, stars and probably stripes and **** like that.

"But you know where I come from boys, you know where we're at.

"I know all you crackers want to see me fall. Well, line them up baby because you know what it's going to be.

"I've been there before, been there with the best of them, bigger guys, stronger guys, better fighters and, at the end of the day, I'm the best.

"I ain't lost in nearly five years. I'm at the top of my game. Over the next four, five years I am on the top of my game, believe that."

Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Saw the other day that Mundine is still calling out Pavlik for a shot at him but Kelly isn't biting at all. Felix Sturm wants nothing to do with him either.

Instead he's got Robert Medley. Heh. His latest comments did make me cringe a bit:

But Mundine, with 37 wins from 40 fights, vowed to silence his younger challenger - and his legion of critics - at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on January 11.

"They all talk before the fight. He is just another cracker that wants to beat dart boy, put me in my place. It ain't gonna happen," he said.

"I know he is going to come to win. He's got the big Aussie flag [tattoo] on his back, on his neck, stars and probably stripes and **** like that.

"But you know where I come from boys, you know where we're at.

"I know all you crackers want to see me fall. Well, line them up baby because you know what it's going to be.

"I've been there before, been there with the best of them, bigger guys, stronger guys, better fighters and, at the end of the day, I'm the best.

"I ain't lost in nearly five years. I'm at the top of my game. Over the next four, five years I am on the top of my game, believe that."

Ugh.
    The shame about Mundine is that he can fight (e.g. Green barely laid a glove on him) and could've been really good but has ended up being rich, a holder of numerous alphabet belts (without really beating anybody) and without any great respect from the boxing community - not a bad commercial decision really

Unfortunately, he didnt challenge himself when he was at his best as he made a fortune by beating up lesser opponents

He could beat Green tomorrow with one arm tied behind his back but the latter is unlikely to take the fight due to the commercial conditions

That's not to say Mundine is any good anymore (he's not really). It's more about the state of boxing generally
    Last edited by social; 04-12-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Watcha doing March 13th?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Watcha doing March 13th?
    Awesome 1st true super fight since De La Hoya Trinidad

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Haha go on Amir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Well it will be a busy couple of months for Pacquiao. He will stand for election as a Congressman at the end of May.

Page 13 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information