• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boxing thread

Matt79

Global Moderator
Jeez the Green-Briggs fight was a dire set of events for the 'sport'. Can't believe Green backflipped and came out and defended the guy today - obviously worried about having pay people back or being held somehow complicit. Have to wonder whether bookies will still be willing to take bets on future bouts involving any of the players here.

Kinda highlights the answer to Brumby's question here before the thread died last time - boxing doesn't rate down here because its got no credibility anymore. :(

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't know what is funnier, the fight itself or Green talking about wanting to set up a stand up bout with Brock Lesnar.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow, I just watched it.

WTF was that all about?
YouTube - Danny Green Vs Paul Briggs

Im not accusing anyone of diving or cheating. Its quite possible something strange happened to scramble Briggs head. The big question is, why the hell a World Champ belt (no matter what org) is contested a guy well outside the top 100 who struggles to get a clearance to fight on medical grounds and has been retired for nearly 4 years?

Terrible matchmaking at all levels from the Org to TV to the promoters to the fighers and their camps.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That's just surreal. Charitable reading is that Briggs swallowed it and the less charitable one is he took a dive. Green suitably nonplussed with it.

One of the comms said the fight couldn't get sanctioned in NSW and I can see why. Briggs looked like a fat middleweight.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Don't know what is funnier, the fight itself or Green talking about wanting to set up a stand up bout with Brock Lesnar.
He would murder Lesnar in a stand up fight. There isnt enough money in the world to get Lesnar to do that as it is a fight he couldnt win.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow, I just watched it.

WTF was that all about?
YouTube - Danny Green Vs Paul Briggs

Im not accusing anyone of diving or cheating. Its quite possible something strange happened to scramble Briggs head. The big question is, why the hell a World Champ belt (no matter what org) is contested a guy well outside the top 100 who struggles to get a clearance to fight on medical grounds and has been retired for nearly 4 years?

Terrible matchmaking at all levels from the Org to TV to the promoters to the fighers and their camps.
Becuase like Mundine he's too scared to fight anyone of note and is happy enough to make like the pretend world champ he actually is. More interested in making money by sucking the Aust. public into thinking he's actually organised a fighting a quality opponent.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Feel a bit bad saying Briggs swallowed it now, if half in the story vic links to is true he had no place in a ring at all. Dereliction of care from the fight organisers and his own people. Should've been protected from himself.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to laugh. Nottingham's Jason Booth is fighting for the IBF super bantamweight title tonight. Quite the Cinderella story as he's recovering alcoholic.

Fight sponsered by Red Square Vodka. Classy. :laugh:

Majin

International Debutant
What do you make of Haye/Fraudley, Brumbers? I think the whole thing is pretty comical. Harrison is no where near deserving of a title shot imho. I don't buy this crap they're trying to spin about "the British public have been demanding it, they really want to see this fight." Really? When have you ever heard anyone say "Yeah I think David Haye vs Audley Harrison is a great idea and something I really want to see." Load of tosh.

All that said, and despite his years of big mouth, small balls and consistent failure, I'm actually gonna be pulling for Fraudley to win. Would be hilarious, and I'm honestly fed up of David Haye and his bull****. Plenty of talk about how he wants to fight the Klitschkos, all the trash talk and t-shirt bollocks he pulled and then he spends months ducking them and finally settles on fighting Audley Harrison. Both Wlad and Vitali begged and pleaded and threatened him for months trying to get him to fight and he found excuses at every turn. Dude's a joke and he needs to get taught some humility. Not that I think Harrison has much of a chance, but I'd like to see it anyway.

Pictures from the press conference were quite astounding as well, I always knew Haye was on the smaller side of the Heavyweight scale but Fraudley absolutely dwarfed him.

edit: picture evidence

Last edited:

Majin

International Debutant
also, just for the sake of some discussion (and to hopefully give me some fights to seek out and watch), best matches you've ever seen anyone?

I think my favourite boxing match I've seen in my lifetime is the first bout between Diego Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo. Was an incredible match, most crazy back and forth action I've ever seen that truly defined the idea of two people giving as good as they got. I remember being astounded that neither of them were dead the beating they were giving each other. I highly recommend watching it for anyone who is even a passing fan of boxing, easily one of the greatest sporting contests i've ever witnessed. Just in case anyone hasn't seen it and intends to catch it, i'll spoiler the discussion of the result:
One of the most incredible comebacks I've ever seen. I was cheering for Diego in the fight and when he got dropped twice in the 10th I was a broken man, only for him to get up and completely waste Castillo with relentless attack and leave him out on his feet. Honestly can't remember screaming louder and being more jubilant at any sort of sporting event in my life, it was beautiful.

So gutted that he died so young. :(

BoyBrumby

Englishman
WRT Haye versus Audrey I think the former is after an easy payday against a bankable name and Harrison, despite being a shot fighter (IMHO, obv) still has more UK brand recognition than (say) Povetkin or Chagaev.

I actually don't mind Haye tho, under all the bluster and BS I think he's quite a clever guy. I think he goes in for the trash talk because it puts bums on seats.

Harrison will have a punchers chance, but I think Haye will be a bit too quick and agile for him. Both can bang and are chinny tho so it could be a proper tear up.

As for the best fight I've seen, I have to say Hearns v Hagler was probably the best. Two chaps at the very peak of their games who'd both come to fight. I suspect trading with Hagler wasn't Tommy's smartest move, but it was a heck of a scrap.

Honourable mentions also to Michael Watson beating Nigel Benn, the first Eubank/Benn clash & Kelley versus Hamed.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Harrison is ranked number 5 in Britain at heavyweight and is fighting for a World title 8-)

I would dislike both these fighters if I cared enough to spend more than a fleeting second thinking about them.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
As for great fights, I have not seen them in a long time but I remember the Harding-Andries series of fights to have been absolute wars.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shout out to Brumbers - Came on here to post Hagler-Hearns myself. That was a war, albeit a short one.

Leonard-Duran 1 was a great fight too, and as Goughy said the Harding-Andries series was good. IMO Hagler was robbed against Leonard in one ofthose super fights that wasn't quite as great as it should have been but still wasn't bad.

I am old enough to (just) remember the Thriler in Manilla, but it can't really count in my consciousness as a fight I've "seen", though IMO it is the greatest fight ever fought, certainly at heavyweight level.

In terms of fights that had real impact, Douglass knocking Tyson out was epic. People though Tyson was unbeatable and Douglass showed him as something of a bully. Was pretty much down hill for Iron Mike from there.

I thought Tszuyu-Hatton was a good stink too. Kostya was past his best by then, but Hattin walked through walls to cause damage. The crowd was fantastic in that fight too, and the respect with which each fighter held the other recalled earlier times when the sport has some credibility.

chalky

International Debutant
Barrera Morales 1 is my favourite fight the 3rd round probably the greatest round I've ever seen.

Like Burgey love Leonard Duran 1 also especially the last round where Leonard is throwing combos and Duran bobs and weaves avoids them all then sticks out his tongue and waves Leonard back in to say is that all you've got.

chalky

International Debutant
also, just for the sake of some discussion (and to hopefully give me some fights to seek out and watch), best matches you've ever seen anyone?

I think my favourite boxing match I've seen in my lifetime is the first bout between Diego Corrales vs Jose Luis Castillo. Was an incredible match, most crazy back and forth action I've ever seen that truly defined the idea of two people giving as good as they got. I remember being astounded that neither of them were dead the beating they were giving each other. I highly recommend watching it for anyone who is even a passing fan of boxing, easily one of the greatest sporting contests i've ever witnessed. Just in case anyone hasn't seen it and intends to catch it, i'll spoiler the discussion of the result: (
The gum shield incident sort of spoils the thing for me Corrales was out and in my opinion and cheated to win.

Similer reason why I don't rate the Benn win over McClennan as high as others Benn got knocked out of the ring and was out for over 15 seconds.

thierry henry

International Coach
What do you make of Haye/Fraudley, Brumbers? I think the whole thing is pretty comical. Harrison is no where near deserving of a title shot imho. I don't buy this crap they're trying to spin about "the British public have been demanding it, they really want to see this fight." Really? When have you ever heard anyone say "Yeah I think David Haye vs Audley Harrison is a great idea and something I really want to see." Load of tosh.

All that said, and despite his years of big mouth, small balls and consistent failure, I'm actually gonna be pulling for Fraudley to win. Would be hilarious, and I'm honestly fed up of David Haye and his bull****. Plenty of talk about how he wants to fight the Klitschkos, all the trash talk and t-shirt bollocks he pulled and then he spends months ducking them and finally settles on fighting Audley Harrison. Both Wlad and Vitali begged and pleaded and threatened him for months trying to get him to fight and he found excuses at every turn. Dude's a joke and he needs to get taught some humility. Not that I think Harrison has much of a chance, but I'd like to see it anyway.

Pictures from the press conference were quite astounding as well, I always knew Haye was on the smaller side of the Heavyweight scale but Fraudley absolutely dwarfed him.

edit: picture evidence

6'3" Haye and 6'5" Harrison :blink:

I guess Haye's ego counts for an extra 3 inches in height....

thierry henry

International Coach
I'm aware of the complaints about Audley, but would it be fair to suggest he might have a proper outsider's chance here?

From what I've seen of him he is a technically competent fighter with tremendous KO power and physical attributes, including just about the longest arms in the universe. True?

I'm also aware that he often appears so scared of getting hit by fighters vastly inferior to Haye that he doesn't let his hands go. But given that (a) in theory he has the height, reach and technical ability to stay out of Haye's way for a while, and (b) he has power, isn't there enough there to keep people interested?

thierry henry

International Coach
The gum shield incident sort of spoils the thing for me Corrales was out and in my opinion and cheated to win.

Similer reason why I don't rate the Benn win over McClennan as high as others Benn got knocked out of the ring and was out for over 15 seconds.
On the latter, it appeared to me that Benn was listening to the count and got back in time based on that. He didn't appear to be really knocked silly or anything.