Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Boxing thread

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Fair dos, but I suspect the damage may already have been done. As one ages it becomes a lot harder to shift blubber () and Ricky's pied out so many times before. Guess he's having to that much harder than blokes who walk around maybe a stone and a half above their fighting weight.

Been a good, in fact very good fighter, in his time tho but suspect his time at the very top is all but over now. I guess there are lucrative domestic fights for him still to take (never has fought Junior Witter yet), but for me it'd be a bit of a shame for him to take a step back in class.
    Said before the fight that he won't ever fight Amir Khan (and the likes of Witter), just wants to fight to the 'big' boys. But if he wants to continue boxing, he may have to revise that stance. His not going to get another big fight (payday) again.

TIE Fighter Shooter Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Fair dos, but I suspect the damage may already have been done. As one ages it becomes a lot harder to shift blubber () and Ricky's pied out so many times before. Guess he's having to that much harder than blokes who walk around maybe a stone and a half above their fighting weight.
    I don't doubt that this had an effect on him over the length of his career but as mentioned he had kept himself in much better shape this time around and was looking in great shape in training, and also the key was he was looking a much better fighter, looked to have improved on what we saw in the Malignaggi fight and was moving well.

I suppose the danger signs should have been apparent when that interview came out with him, after so long of going on about his re-discovered boxing skills and how he was going to show everyone the new "technical side of Ricky Hatton", saying that he thought that despite having improved he thought the one who might have to win this fight would be "the old Ricky Hatton". This, coupled with his drastic underestimation of Pacquiao's power and ability to surive at light-welter lead to him just walking straight at Pacman in a straight line without moving his head at all. He was literally just a walking target and there isn't a boxer alive who can do that against Manny and survive. Even if he'd spent his entire career being the consumate professional WRT his fitness, if he fought Pacquiao 100 times the way he fought last night the result would be the same every time. Can have no excuses, it was a very poor showing and he got exactly what he deserved.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Definately hugely humiliating for Hatton, don't see how one could day otherwise. Hyped up so so much, in preparation for months and totally outclassed in 1 and a half rounds. That'll be the end of him now, can't come back from a defeat like that.

What a champion

To win three world titles after only having taken up the sport in his mid-twenties, and after playing elite level rugby league, is a damn fine achievement.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    What a champion

To win three world titles after only having taken up the sport in his mid-twenties, and after playing elite level rugby league, is a damn fine achievement.
    "Title" equating to "possibly about fifth best boxer in your weightclass".

By all means, fair effort. Just feel the need to point this out due to the slightly crazy "world championship" situation.

Note for Smitteh: the chap he defeated was Australian, too
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 27-05-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post
    What a champion

Interesting fight by all accounts. Could well have gone t'other fella's way apparently. Well done to Mundane anyway.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Sorry for the ridiculous dig but is anybody watching the fight tonight?

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    I was thinking about digging this as well tbh, and yeah, I will be watching.

Just ordered it, hoping to get a few mates round.
    Hoping Haye can pull this off, would be something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Just ordered it, hoping to get a few mates round.
    Hoping Haye can pull this off, would be something special.
    Haha I'll probably just stream it, don't think any of the pubs around here are showing it. Imagine Haye will go a few rounds and then probably get KO'd tbh, like you say though, would be something special if he can pull it off.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Haha I'll probably just stream it, don't think any of the pubs around here are showing it. Imagine Haye will go a few rounds and then probably get KO'd tbh, like you say though, would be something special if he can pull it off.
    My internet is dire, can't be dealing with buffering and pauses etc. Actually want to watch the fight. Will probably be a R1 KO now I've forked out for it

Oh and I was reading the other day... Valuev doesn't knock as many people out as you'd expect from the size of him.
    Haye's the heaviest he's ever been for this fight, I think he'll put in a performance.

Haha, is up to Haye to bring his A game really, because if he gets hit then yes, a first round KO is exactly what we will see. The whole thing is set up like it's part of a Rocky film though, hence the whole David v Goliath thing, so it does feel quite exciting. Should be interesting no matter what happens with any luck.

Guys, Valuev is WOEFUL!

He wins because of size and corruption in equal measure

Haye will win if he doesnt fall over from exhaustion

If he does, he'll be about the 5th/10th best heavy in the world and make millions because he holds an alphabet title

Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information