• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name sports you cannot bear to watch

steds

Hall of Fame Member
How can the national media not be paying the sport any interest at all when it's games are covered live on Sky and on Radio Five? To be fair, for the amount of exposure it gets, surely it should be creating a bit more interest down here (among people who could potentially like the sport).. We get sod all in the way of domestic rugby union on the radio, which really gets my goat when I have to listen to Warrington v Whoever...
That's ridiculous about the amount of exposure it gets. It's true that Sky is kind to rugby league, but apart from that we get bugger all. BBC televises a fair amount, but where you get this idea we get loads more radio coverage than union I have no idea. It's a rare and joyous occasion that I find a game on Five Live. It is usually sidelined to local radio. And if we get 3 paragraphs in a national paper, we're lucky.

As for interest down there, rugby league is the fastest growing sport in terms of player participation in London. Harlequins RL's attendances are up 29% this year, there are over 15,000 kids playing rugby league in London through schemes ran by the club and junior leagues. London has a semi-professional club in NL2 and amateur league of 11 clubs, which acts as a feeder competition to the Rugby League Conference and has supplied 13 clubs to the conference already. 23 of the 83 teams in the rugby league conference itself are from the south, including one in the national division. And I'm not even going to try dig up information about amateur leagues below the RLC outside of London, although it admittedly isn't growing as quickly. Since 2003, the Powergen Schools Cup competition has grown from 300 school teams entering to 1,500. If people aren't seeing interestoutside of the heartland, maybe it's because they choose to turn a blind eye to it.

And if you don't want to listen to Warrington vs. whoever, turn it off. Shame, though. Got some of the best sportsmen in the country atm.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's ridiculous about the amount of exposure it gets. It's true that Sky is kind to rugby league, but apart from that we get bugger all. BBC televises a fair amount, but where you get this idea we get loads more radio coverage than union I have no idea. It's a rare and joyous occasion that I find a game on Five Live. It is usually sidelined to local radio. And if we get 3 paragraphs in a national paper, we're lucky.

As for interest down there, rugby league is the fastest growing sport in terms of player participation in London. Harlequins RL's attendances are up 29% this year, there are over 15,000 kids playing rugby league in London through schemes ran by the club and junior leagues. London has a semi-professional club in NL2 and amateur league of 11 clubs, which acts as a feeder competition to the Rugby League Conference and has supplied 13 clubs to the conference already. 23 of the 83 teams in the rugby league conference itself are from the south, including one in the national division. And I'm not even going to try dig up information about amateur leagues below the RLC outside of London, although it admittedly isn't growing as quickly. Since 2003, the Powergen Schools Cup competition has grown from 300 school teams entering to 1,500. If people aren't seeing interestoutside of the heartland, maybe it's because they choose to turn a blind eye to it.

And if you don't want to listen to Warrington vs. whoever, turn it off. Shame, though. Got some of the best sportsmen in the country atm.
:clapping:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Basketball and Baseball I find mind-numbingly boring, same with every motorsport.

Also I struggle to watch league, but I enjoy union.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised at the amount of Basketball-hate here actually. I think it's a great game to watch
I like watching it, but having to put up with listening to squeaky shoes is a pain in the arse.