• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salamuddin's ten favourite football goals

Salamuddin

International Debutant
1) Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid v LeverKusen 2002 CT final - well I had to have my favourite player in here)
2) Saeed Owairawan ( saudi arabia v belgium WC 1994 at USA) - Saudi Arabian genius at its very best
3) Diego Maradona ( Argentina v England Azteca Stadium 1986 World Cup - no, not hand of god :laugh: the other one, where he dribbled past half the English team to slot past Peter Shilton.)
4) Maximiliano Rodriguez (Argentina V Mexico WC 2006)
5) Adriano (Brazil v Greece Confed Cup 2005)
6) Roberto Carlos (Tournoi de France brazil v France)
7) Thierry Henry (Arsenal v Liverpool 2004 - brilliant goal by the much loved Chief Poseur)
8) David Beckham v Greece (World Cup qualifier 2001 - didn't wanna have Pretty Boy in here but this goal was an excellent one I admit).
9) Michael Owen v Argentina (1998 World Cup Saint Etienne) - Best English goal I ave ever seen (see I can appreciate good play by the English even tho I like bagging your team out)
10) Zinedine Zidane (Real Betis V Bordeaux - where he execeuted a brilliant lob over the goalkeepers head from several yards away).

What are other people's faves ?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Lionel Messi goal against Mexico in the Copa America Semi Final has to be up there. I also think that Saeed Owairawan is completely overrated tbh as the Belguim defending was an absolute joke.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1.Tim Cahill, 1st goal vs Japan, 2006 WC
2.Tim Cahill, 2nd goal vs Japan, 2006 WC
3.Harry Kewell, goal vs. Croatia, 2006 WC

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Maradona's brilliance in '86, followed by the poetry in motion of Carlos Alberto in '70. Can't think of anything else I could put up with those two at the moment.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Overrated IMO. OMG he did a chip!!!!!!!!!1111
Yeah it was overated a bit but to execute a chip after taking only one touch as well is pretty special imo. It was not as though he had loads of time and space to execute the chip and that 's what made the goal even better.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best recent Argentina goal was at the last WC i think. Believe it was Maxi Lopez who did one quite similar to the Joe Cole one against Sweden.

EDIT: Found it on Youtube. Link
It was Maxi Rodriguez in fact.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Maradona's brilliance in '86
Trust you'll be sending your passport back to HM Govt, Jorge. :-O

Mine are a hell of a lot more parochial:

1) Micky Thomas for Arsenal v Liverpool in 1989 to make the score 2-0 in the last minute of the last game of the season to give us the title on goals scored. Best finish to a season ever; will almost certainly never be surpassed either. Link.

2) David Platt for England v Belgium in the 2nd round of the world cup in 1990. Score locked at 0-0, last minute of extra time with penalties looming (and we know how that would've ended); Gazza is fouled, free-kick floated in, Platty does the rest. Link.

3) Marc Overmars for Arsenal v ManUre at Old Tartford in 1998. Secures a 1-0 win at the citadel of evil, which ultimately was the point at which our overhauling of United became inevitable. Link. Watch out for the curled-haired Gooner in the leather jacket's bug-eyed celeb. Classic.

4) Tony Adams v Everton in 1998. The goal that wrapped up what wee Marc had started. Steve Bould plays a defence splitting through-ball into that path of his central-defensive partner, who chests it down and smacks it with his left peg from about 18 yards. Link.

5) Alan Smith v Parma in the Cup Winners' Cup final in 1994. Dear old Smudger, whose left foot was mainly for balance & symmetry purposes, wins it with a screamer from that weaker side. Link. Not great quality, but only one I could find.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Psycho's absolution v Spain was a "hairs on the back of the neck" moment too. Link.

Oh, and England win a penalty shoot-out! :D No, really. Didn't even need to take all 5. The crucial miss was by Rafa Nadal's uncle, by the way, for all you trivia fans out there.

open365

Lionel Messi goal against Mexico in the Copa America Semi Final has to be up there. I also think that Saeed Owairawan is completely overrated tbh as the Belguim defending was an absolute joke.
Is that the one where he dribbled it from the halfway line?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Giggs v Arsenal '99. Pretty certain it was recently voted greatest United goal of all time (by some organisation or other), certainly one of the best I've ever seen.

EDIT: Link to whole game. One of the classics, our first goal by Beckham wasn't too shabby either, had a sending off, a typically (:p) flukey CDMs equalizer, a disallowed goal, a last minute penalty save, and of course Giggsy's goal. And the good guys won, which helps.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

Trust you'll be sending your passport back to HM Govt, Jorge. :-O
Haha, to be honest I'm prepared to look beyond Maradona's cheating and dirty side and just appreciate just how good he was as a player. His reputation in this country will be blackened forever, but I'd love to see how he is remembered on the continent (excluding Napoli obviously, where he is a demi-god).

I'm even more appreciative of good play and skill rather than just relying on passion more so in cricket than in football though. I genuinely wanted the Windies to win the Old Trafford Test after Chanderpaul had played so well. In football, maybe not so much, I'm much more patriotic, but I've seen Maradona play in the flesh once in a charity game and was almost moved to tears when I saw him walk off, knowing that I'd at least seen one of the greatest footballers of all time on the pitch, even if he couldn't move.