• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Footballers are thick.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There was one mentioned in Nicky Campbell's column in yesterday's Guardian, which doesn't seen to be on line yet as his latest on their site is dated 24/5, but anyway it's funny & slightly bittersweet. When Stan Mortensen (scorer of the only hat-trick in an FA Cup final) passed away it was reported in his local paper with the headline:

LIVING LEGEND DIES

Craig

World Traveller
David Beckham said:
""It's going to be difficult for me - I've never had to learn a language and now I do."

Interviewer : "Would it be fair to describe you as a volatile player?"
David Beckham: "Well, I can play in the centre, on the right and occasionally on the left side."

"Alex Ferguson is the best manager I've ever had at this level. Well, he's the only manager I've actually had at this level. But he's the best manager I've ever had."
You have to laugh at the second one :laugh:

Mark Viduka said:
"I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league."
Clearly playing for Celtic hasn't done much for his mental state...

Gianluca Vialli said:
''At the start of the season you're strong enough to win the Premiership and the European Cup, but you have to be as strong in March, when the fish are down.''
:laugh:

[qoute=Walter Smith]"He's captain of Rangers, and that's one of the reasons he's captain."[/quote]

Neil Warnock said:
"Matches don't come any bigger than FA Cup quarter-finals."

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Rameez Raja at a Pak-SA match in PE

"The band is trying to add some colour to the South African team"

He was refering to a black band that was playing music in the stands.

Perhaps not politically correct.

readie

State Regular
lol this ones a rugby one campese i think

I've never been one to predict the future and i never will

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Gerry Armstrong (La Liga commentator) was commentating on the Venezuela v Peru match in the Copa America

"He looks different now that he's had his haircut". :laugh:

open365

International Vice-Captain
"There is a smear campaign against me with facts, which are not true." - Toni Polster

Agent TBY

International Captain
"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father." - (Shane
Wakelin)

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
(Mick Malthouse - Collingwood)

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."
(Peter Bell - Fremantle - on his University Law studies)

"You guys line up alphabetically by height," and "you guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle."
(Barry Hall Sydney Captain at training)

"I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."
(Brock Maclean - Melbourne) on whether he had visited the Pyramids during his visit to Egypt:

"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is."
(Kevin Sheedy on James Hird)

"It's basically the same, just darker." (Jonathan Brown) on night Grand Finals vs Day Games

"I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, 'Barass, I don't know and I don't care' ".
(Ron Barassi talking about Gary Cowton)

"I want to kick 70 or 80 goals this season, whichever comes first."
(Barry Hall - Sydney) when asked about the upcoming season:

"Luke Hodge - the 21 year old, who turned 22 a few weeks ago." (Dermott
Brereton)

"Chad had done a bit of mental arithmetic with a calculator." (Mark
Williams)

"He scored that goal after only 22 seconds - totally against the run of play." (Dermott Brereton)

"We actually got the winning goal three minutes from the end but then they scored."
(Ben Cousins - West Coast Eagles)

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body". (Luke
Darcy)

"That kick was absolutely unique, except for the one before it which was identical."
(Dermott Brereton)

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in football - but none of them serious."
(Adrian Anderson)

"If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again."
(Andrew Demetriou)

"I would not say he (Chris Judd) is the best centreman in the AFL, but there are none better."
(Dermott Brereton)

"I never comment on umpires and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat." (Terry Wallace)

(Garry Lyon) "Have you ever thought of writing your autobiography?"
(David Swartz) "On what?"

"Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw." (Dermott
Brereton)

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer."
(Dermott Brereton)

Xuhaib

International Coach
'I definitely want Brooklyn to be christened, but I don't know into what religion yet.'- David Beckham

"'I would not be bothered if we lost every game as long as we won the league.'- Mark Viduka

"I've had 14 bookings this season - 8 of which were my fault, but 7 of which were disputable.'- Paul Gascoigne

'I'd like to play for an Italian club, like Barcelona.'- Mark Draper

"Leeds is a great club and it's been my home for years, even though I live in Middlesborough - Jonathan Woodgate

"I couldn't settle in Italy - it was like living in a foreign country..'
- Ian Rush

Owen: I couldnt believe it when the FA knocked on my doorbell