Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread: Formula 1 Thread

State Vice-Captain
    Skaife and Lowndes were pure touring car drivers I would've said. On a side note, Ambrose may be coming back to the V8's next year if he doesn't win a stupid oval race. He's already ****ing them up on their 1 or 2 road races a year.
    Last edited by Coronis; 27-03-2013 at 11:28 PM.

of course connections are important social, and money. rest assured there are many other drivers just as talented as those who you've never heard of.

but you said webber wasn't in the top 5 drivers in australia when he made his f1 debut. just correct that statement and everything will be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    of course connections are important social, and money. rest assured there are many other drivers just as talented as those who you've never heard of.

but you said webber wasn't in the top 5 drivers in australia when he made his f1 debut. just correct that statement and everything will be fine.
    But was he one of the top 5?

He obviously had talent and potential but hadnt achieved much on the track

For example, I would put Lowndes' record as of 2002 (Australian Formula Ford champion, multiple touring car championships, Bathurst, etc) well out in front

Same could be said of Skaife and Ambrose (who had won British open wheeler championship by that time)

Might sneak into top 5 but not a given

Quote Originally Posted by Coronis View Post
    Skaife and Lowndes were pure touring car drivers I would've said. On a side note, Ambrose may be coming back to the V8's next year if he doesn't win a stupid oval race. He's already ****ing them up on their 1 or 2 road races a year.
    Main reason to compete in the junior open wheeler series is to get noticed by F1/Indy as there is very little money in it for drivers

Lowndes and Skaife went to Europe to compete in these series but didnt last long as their teams folded due to budgetary problems and they returned home

Ambrose got a seat in a good team and won a prestigious championship but didnt get picked up by F1 so came back to V8s

Webber was extremely well managed/advised from the outset and he recieved a number of opportunities with well-funded teams despite not really having the track record to justify it early in his career (most impressive racing results were actually recorded in sports cars)

As an indication of how smart the strategy was, his first seat in F1 was with Minardi, a team that was owned by an Australian that financed Webber in the early part of his career.
    Last edited by social; 28-03-2013 at 02:29 AM.

Naah, no way Jones, Brabham & Perkins were better drivers in 2002. More accomplished yes, but at that point in time there's no way they were better drivers.

Ambrose though, WAG
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    For example, I would put Lowndes' record as of 2002 (Australian Formula Ford champion, multiple touring car championships, Bathurst, etc) well out in front
    well you'd be wrong. the AFF championship means nothing in the scheme of things. Lowndes was drafted into the best team - who won 5 titles in a row at that time, winning his first title going h2h with a 50 year old man ffs. and he got there because his old man was mates with Brocky.

BFF & F3 is a higher standard. Just competing in F3000, GT1 & GTP Le Mans is a higher standard. F1 test driver is a bigger achievement.

And that's not to say that winning bathurst isnt tops, I'd love to have just raced at bathurst. But in terms of standard, V8SC is still for the blokes who couldn't make it OS.

well you'd be wrong. the AFF championship means nothing in the scheme of things. Lowndes was drafted into the best team - who won 5 titles in a row at that time, winning his first title going h2h with a 50 year old man ffs. and he got there because his old man was mates with Brocky.

BFF & F3 is a higher standard. Just competing in F3000, GT1 & GTP Le Mans is a higher standard. F1 test driver is a bigger achievement.

And that's not to say that winning bathurst isnt tops, I'd love to have just raced at bathurst. But in terms of standard, V8SC is still for the blokes who couldn't make it OS.
    Dont think that is fair across the board as some seats in those championships are simply bought by lesser drivers and most of our guys simply dont have that type of backing

Let's face it, no matter how good he has become, if Webber didnt have a business relationship with Stoddart, Briatore, etc, it's highly debateable as to whether he would be where he is today

you don't even get to v8sc without $ and connections. but it takes more $ and more people willing to throw $ at you because of what they see in you and what return they think they can get from you. and bigger punts and sacrifices to get there.

i hate analogies but it isn't any different than comparing playing grade, association, 1st class or international cricket

and yes money can get you everywhere (see pedro diniz) but you need money and bucketloads of talent to make it to the pinnacle

you don't even get to v8sc without $ and connections. but it takes more $ and more people willing to throw $ at you because of what they see in you and what return they think they can get from you. and bigger punts and sacrifices to get there.

i hate analogies but it isn't any different than comparing playing grade, association, 1st class or international cricket

and yes money can get you everywhere (see pedro diniz) but you need money and bucketloads of talent to make it to the pinnacle
    Even Jones was basically handed a seat at the beginning

Anyway, Webber is definitely the most complete "package" we have ever produced (talented, articulate, business savvy, comes across as a good bloke etc) so good luck to him

However, I still reckon that someone like Ambrose had the raw materials to do well at the highest level (after all, he has more Nascar victories than Montoya and they dont hand those out easily) but simply didnt get the breaks for whatever reason

BTW, can you still drive around parts of Mt Panorama?

My old man barrelled around there in a Morris Minor years ago
    Last edited by social; 28-03-2013 at 05:56 AM.

i've not been there for years either, but yes - it's still a public road. people live on it

State Vice-Captain
    Ambrose was actually meant to be racing in the V8's this year, only just closed a deal in NASCAR. Little sad.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Great finish to the race today. Alonso displyed his dominance and reminded us that he is still the best pilot in F-1.
    Tires still playing too big a part in the races this season so far, but glad they gave up on Vettell when they did.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Great finish to the race today. Alonso displyed his dominance and reminded us that he is still the best pilot in F-1.
    Tires still playing too big a part in the races this season so far, but glad they gave up on Vettell when they did.
    They didn't give up on him, he ran deep into the corner before the back straight. Otherwise he'd have passed Hamilton on the last lap.
    ATG World XI
    1. J.B Hobbs 2. H. Sutcliffe 3. D.G Bradman 4. W.R Hammond 5. G.S Sobers 6. M.J Procter 7. A.C Gilchrist 8. M.D Marshall 9. S.K Warne 10. M. Muralitharan 11. G.D McGrath

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    The tyres are playing the same role as last season.

There's **** all wrong with them.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Any predictions for this weekend? Interesting to see how Mercedes bounces back from Spa and if Alonso can make any serious push for the championship.

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast

Thread Information