• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula 1 Thread

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Always enjoyed watching the F1, except when it got really boring when Schumacher was dominating everything. Loving it at the moment, getting behind Lewis Hamilton is so exciting and I was chuffed to bits for him when he won for the first time. Been driving like a champ all season, hope he carries it on.
If he does, surely that equals the Schumacher era of dominance?

Hamilton > Schumacher already in my extremely biased opion, because i hated schumacher. I've no doubt Hamilton will end up with more C'ships, and he'll win them in a whole lot Cleaner way the Schumacher did..
Yeah true that.
Haha, I still find it hilarious the hatred some people have for the man. I often wonder what his legacy would be if he was good looking, charming and from an exotic country like say.... Ayrton Senna? That man was just as dirty a racer as Schumacher yet is deified.

Too early to call. McLaren's been a far stronger team than any this season, whereas Schumi started his career in a mid-field car and outperformed it greatly. Would like to see how Hamilton fares battling through the mid-field in a mid-range car, taking nothing away from Lewis though, definately one of the best talents for a while.
Agreed. Hamilton's a great talent, but it remains to be seen how he performs in a car that's not one of the two best chassis' in the championship. Jacques Villeneuve had an amazing and similar start to his F1 career, and look what happened to him. Still, outpacing the reigning champ - that's seriously impressive. I feel a bit sorry for Fernando actually.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, I still find it hilarious the hatred some people have for the man. I often wonder what his legacy would be if he was good looking, charming and from an exotic country like say.... Ayrton Senna? That man was just as dirty a racer as Schumacher yet is deified.
I think the fact that Senna didn't punt off 2 blokes in order to win a championship helps his case.....that and of course the horrible way in which he died.

Dick Rockett

I think the fact that Senna didn't punt off 2 blokes in order to win a championship helps his case.
Senna did exactly that at the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix. The only difference is that Senna said he was going to do it beforehand, which makes it worse in my opinion.

As far as Schumacher goes - the incident at Adelaide in '94 was a blowup by primarily English media. Whether Damon Hill had the room to overtake is questionable at best, he certainly didn't have his nose in front. Not to mention that he hardly deserved the title, having had the best car and several extra races in which to score points.

Last edited:

Johnners

Senna did exactly that at the 1990 Japanese Grand Prix. The only difference is that Senna said he was going to do it beforehand, which makes it worse in my opinion.
Oops...forgot that 1 :shy:

As far as Schumacher goes - the incident at Adelaide in '94 was a blowup by primarily English media. Whether Damon Hill had the room to overtake is questionable at best, he certainly didn't have his nose in front. Not to mention that he hardly deserved the title, having had the best car and several extra races in which to score points.
Hill had room to overtake imo, and would've easily done so had Schumacher not pulled out straight in front of him, onto the racing line to start with. That said, i can see why the officials did nothing about it, i guess i see it from a Hill fans POV. Hill certainly should have won the championship with the extra races/chances for points, but that still doesn't make the Schumacher move any less dirty imo.

Dick Rockett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQOT7Y9YCio

Have another look. Schumacher was essentially out the race anyway and took the opportunity to turn in on Hill in a ****ish unsportsmanlike way.
Haha. I don't need to have another look. I saw the race live, and I've seen it on YT. The fact is that no-one could tell if Schumacher's car was damaged - both Murray Walker and James Allen were being mighty presumptuous in calling it so. Their delight at the prospect of Hill overtaking just prior to the accident was palpable, so it's not really surprising.

Damon Hill saw a gap and took the risk, which I can totally understand. Unfortunately for him the gap wasn't big enough. Schumacher had no reason to concede the corner and did what would be expected tbh. Tough luck to Damon, he wasn't good enough to win the title in 1994 anyway.

Johnners

Anyone watched this 3 part series on Hamilton??

Thought it was great myself. The start of part 2 is great, Rosberg is so obviously jealous and on himself.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Anyone watched this 3 part series on Hamilton??

Thought it was great myself. The start of part 2 is great, Rosberg is so obviously jealous and on himself.
Pity it's going to Hamilton's head already. In an after race interview he said, the monkeys must move out of my way faster.

Matteh

Haha. I don't need to have another look. I saw the race live, and I've seen it on YT. The fact is that no-one could tell if Schumacher's car was damaged - both Murray Walker and James Allen were being mighty presumptuous in calling it so. Their delight at the prospect of Hill overtaking just prior to the accident was palpable, so it's not really surprising.

Damon Hill saw a gap and took the risk, which I can totally understand. Unfortunately for him the gap wasn't big enough. Schumacher had no reason to concede the corner and did what would be expected tbh. Tough luck to Damon, he wasn't good enough to win the title in 1994 anyway.
Surely it was pretty obvious it was damaged, if Hill's wishbone got broken by Schumacher hitting him, then slamming it into a wall will break it no question. Entering that corner they are level, Schumacher turns in and it turns out there's actually a car there, hits Hill and that's that. There's actually one view from Hill's car where it looks like there's easily enough room for him to go through.
Re-watched the Jerez one last night as well, that one was ridiculously blatant.

Dick Rockett

Surely it was pretty obvious it was damaged, if Hill's wishbone got broken by Schumacher hitting him, then slamming it into a wall will break it no question.
There's no evidence Schumacher's car was damaged, and the two impacts weren't identical. Besides, they were in different cars so there's no reason to suspect that they would break in identical fashion.

Entering that corner they are level, Schumacher turns in and it turns out there's actually a car there, hits Hill and that's that. There's actually one view from Hill's car where it looks like there's easily enough room for him to go through.
They were not level at any point, Hill took a risk that turned out to be a poor one. The view from his in-car camera shows why he did it, but the other view showed why it didn't work out. He initially tried to go around the outside - perhaps if he'd tried the inside line straight away he could have made it stick. He didn't, Schumacher was entitled to defend his line and there was an accident.

Re-watched the Jerez one last night as well, that one was ridiculously blatant.
Obviously, Schumacher has admitted that was deliberate.

Matteh

They were not level at any point, Hill took a risk that turned out to be a poor one. The view from his in-car camera shows why he did it, but the other view showed why it didn't work out. He initially tried to go around the outside - perhaps if he'd tried the inside line straight away he could have made it stick. He didn't, Schumacher was entitled to defend his line and there was an accident.
They were level at the very start of that corner, then it looks like Schumacher out brakes him to go slightly ahead whilst in the corner before turning into Hill who was on the inside. He tried to go around the outside because that's where the space was when Schumacher was rejoining the track, Schumacher jumps across to block him,taking him off the racing line incidentially, so Hill goes for the gap on the inside.

Dick Rockett

Aside from your contention that Hill was level with Schumi at one point, I think we agree on what happened, but disagree on the nature of the collision.

In conclusion, all I see is Hill attempting a risky overtaking move - which I would have attempted too - which failed. I don't see any rulebreaking or poor sportsmanship. If it had been two other drivers and the stakes had not been so high, no-one would have bothered debating it.

Majin

International Debutant
It was good they managed to pull one back though. I'd rather they got as close as possible before Lewis crushes them in the last race :D

Matteh

'David Coulthard believes he would be challenging Lewis Hamilton at the top of the Formula One championship if he had a better car at his disposal. '

Probably would tbh. Would love to see a Formula Ford/A1GP type setup in Formula 1 with all the cars as a level playing field, putting more emphasis on the drivers to be good.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
'David Coulthard believes he would be challenging Lewis Hamilton at the top of the Formula One championship if he had a better car at his disposal. '

Probably would tbh. Would love to see a Formula Ford/A1GP type setup in Formula 1 with all the cars as a level playing field, putting more emphasis on the drivers to be good.
David, for many seasons you had a car that was capable of challenging for the World Championship. You did naff all.

Matteh

Finished 3rd all over the place. Should have **** all over Hakkinen, but didn't.