• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Formula 1 Thread

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Surprised at the plaudits tbh. A middling driver at best, but then even notorious underachievers like Jarno Trulli have managed to get across the line in 1st place at least once.

Vettel has to be the one to win this championship if it's not to be simply a case of a competent driver winning because he had the best machinery.

pasag

RTDAS
Surprised at the plaudits tbh. A middling driver at best, but then even notorious underachievers like Jarno Trulli have managed to get across the line in 1st place at least once.

Vettel has to be the one to win this championship if it's not to be simply a case of a competent driver winning because he had the best machinery.
Not really plaudits from what I've seen, more just happiness that an Australian won after so long.

It did get crazy after he pulled a Bradbury years back when only 7 or so cars finished at Melbroune and he came 5th or something like that. There were pages dedicated to it in the papers for weeks afterwards.

Matt79

Global Moderator
So pleased for Webber. Actually forgot it was on with the cricket AND Le Tour, but love the bloke (because I used to live in Queanbeyan ok?). Just a pro, who's up til now been consistently in the wrong place at the wrong time, but has always looked like he'd do well in a competitive car.

Before the killjoys attack, I'm not saying he's the reincarnation of Senna or the next big thing, but there's no-one in the field who hasn't won a race that deserves it more than Webber.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Before the killjoys attack, I'm not saying he's the reincarnation of Senna or the next big thing, but there's no-one in the field who hasn't won a race that deserves it more than Webber.
I know you're talking about the current field, but I can't think of anyone who deserved their first win more than Jean Alesi. I was so happy watching that race.

99*

International Debutant
Webber **** on Heidfield when they were both at Williams.
2005 season:

Webber: 36 points finished 10th.

Heidfeld: 28 points finished 11th.

Yeah really did **** on him, considering Heidfeld missed the last five races of the season. 8-)

99*

International Debutant
Want to talk qualifying as well?
I don't see how qualifying makes any difference to who deserves/ed a win more. Otherwise Jarno Trulli should be world champion multiple times over.

Although I do know Heidfeld had a pole in 05, not sure if Webber ever had a pole before this race.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Think that is a little unfair, Webber has always been a talented driver and he is not been all that far off Vettel all season.
Also Button is more than just a competent driver he has performed excellently this season, yes he has had the best car but he has driven almost perfectly this season (he has made far less mistakes and driven a lot more consistently than Hamilton did last season) To do this at the highest level is a skill that not all drivers have

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I know you're talking about the current field, but I can't think of anyone who deserved their first win more than Jean Alesi. I was so happy watching that race.
Same, was fantastic.

I'd like to have seen Mika Salo win a race, but he was denied that...