• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

America's Cup and Louis Vuitton Cup - Come on Emirates Team NZ

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
YUS! A 5-0 cleansweep and we are now challenging Alinghi for the Americas Cup. Prepare to be amazed at how well we do.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I was up in the night watching the race last night. Simply brilliant, Team New Zealand.

The Louis Vuitton presentation was spectacular - the cup being delivered by sky divers to the Dais. Brilliant .

I hope Team New Zealand, keeps some of its secrets quiet, come the America's Cup. 'cos I fear Alinghi has some secrets and tricks up its sleeve ....

The real racing starts in 2 weeks....and I hope NZL has some secret speed hitherto undisplayed that comes out only in the America's Cup, to blitz the Swiss billionaire and bring the cup to NZ...

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd love the team to win...one of the reasons is that last time a particularly ugly little part of Auckland's waterfront was turned into a really nice area (although that description does not include the people who go to the bars there), and since all the bases are now apartment buildings they'll have to do that all over again with another ugly little part of the waterfront. We're making progress.

_Ed_

Haven't heard that. And if that's true I don't know why everyone's interviewing Dick Hubbard about where the syndicate bases would go.

_Ed_

I seem to remember the syndicates being full of praise for the Hauraki Gulf and the way Auckland hosted the event, and the skipper of Prada saying after they lost to Alinghi that he hoped Team NZ defended the Cup so they could come back. I must have an even worse memory than I thought.

Last edited:

Perm

I always thought that the other syndicates had nothing but glowing praise for Auckland.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
OK, I re-read the article I was thinking of & it's the smaller syndicates that have reservations about Auckland, mostly to do with sponsorship. They'd prefer the next regatta to be in Europe.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I always thought that the other syndicates had nothing but glowing praise for Auckland.
I hope its in Auckland. I would love to follow it closely then.

If not Auckland,I hope they take it to Tauranga (that would still let me be able to follow it without too much travelling) .:happy:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
America's Cup starts tonight in 3-4 hours. Come on Team NZ ......smash the Alinghi guys straight up in Race 1 . Do them in good.....Come on...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Alinghi wins the First Yacht race and takes a 1-0 Lead in the Americas Cup.

Desperate times for Emirates Team NZ. If tonight they do not win , I would say it will become difficult from hereon......

Come on Emirates Team NZ ....

Perm

Alinghi's faster boat really killed us in the downwind parts of the races, I hope we can put together a better performance tonight.

HeathDavisSpeed

NZ vs NZ... The suspense is killing me.

I know yachting's such an easy sport for kids to get into these days. My kids, I bought them both their own yacht the other week - the start up costs aren't any problem. Granted they just a just gave them a small plank of wood which floats in the bath, but its the closest approximation to a yacht that I can afford.

Should mean they'll be up for the America's Cup in 20 years or so...

Yachting as a sport is the preserve of the upper classes. How can the proletariat feel engaged by such tripe?

Anyway, sorry to mention this again. Those yachtie bastards from Southampton left me permanently hating yachting, I had no opinion on it before I went to the UK.

:(

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Yachting as a sport is the preserve of the upper classes. How can the proletariat feel engaged by such tripe?
Motorsport is predominantly popular with the working class (at least the V8s are), yet is one of the most expensive sports to participate in. Anyone can buy a Laser class yacht for bugger all, and go sailing.

HeathDavisSpeed

Doesn't stop most of the teenage population of Invercargill getting involved in 'motorsport' on a Friday night. Plus with motor racing, kids can get involved cheaply by starting in Go Karting - just ask Lewis Hamilton.

I don't think I've ever seen a yacht (whatever class - I admit that I have no bloody idea on that score) for sale for what I'd consider 'bugger all'.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Doesn't stop most of the teenage population of Invercargill getting involved in 'motorsport' on a Friday night. Plus with motor racing, kids can get involved cheaply by starting in Go Karting - just ask Lewis Hamilton.

I don't think I've ever seen a yacht (whatever class - I admit that I have no bloody idea on that score) for sale for what I'd consider 'bugger all'.
A quick search on trademe will reveal a selection of trailer-sailers for a few hundred dollars. The costs of karting are obviously heaps more - not just the initial purchase price of the kart, but the fuel and tires, and also repairing any damage incurred in accidents, etc.

Lewis Hamilton has made numerous references to the sacrifices his father made to keep him racing - I can't recall hearing any famous yachties telling similar stories. While the Americas Cup is undoubtedly the preserve of corporations and rich wankers like Ernesto Bertarelli, yachting itself is no more elitist than any other sport (at least not in NZ).