• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Beckham is to be knighted - does he deserve to be knighted?

David Beckham -does he deserve knighthood ?

• Total voters

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I was shocked to learn a few days back that David Beckham is to get a knighthood , courtesy of Tony Blair in New Year's honours list to be announced in the next few days..

I am not sure if he deserves it. He has yet to win a World Cup for England . He has flopped or done something stupid at every World Cup he has appeared for England , bar one. He has done well for Man U, but he got richly paid for his appearances for Man United. So I really find it difficult to accept, that he has done anything to deserve the knighthood.

Considering of all the English players who won the World Cup in 1966 only 3 or 4 got knight hoods, IIRC, does David really deserve it ? What about guys in the past then who were pretty good like Peter Shilton, Alan Shearer etc.

What do you think ?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Deserves it more than Paul Collingwood...:ph34r:

I think he does. Not necessarily for his feats on the field, and there have been many, bBut, he is the face of soccer for England and has been for a very long time. Most of the primary school kids I taught in England earlier this year wanted to grow up to play soccer for England and be just like David Beckham.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Not sure he deserves to be knighted but definitely given an honour. Maybe a CBE or OBE? (Is there a CBE BTW?)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Deserves it more than Paul Collingwood...:ph34r:

I think he does. Not necessarily for his feats on the field, and there have been many, bBut, he is the face of soccer for England and has been for a very long time. Most of the primary school kids I taught in England earlier this year wanted to grow up to play soccer for England and be just like David Beckham.
Did they want to "Bend it like Beckham" ? :laugh:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Yeah, he can cross it like the best, but knighted just for that?
He is also pretty mint in free-kick situations, but so is Shunsuke Nakamura. :ph34r:

As far as allround footballing talent, he is mediocre at best.

Unless, ofcourse, he is getting a knighthood for his non-footballing deeds..........such as........ marrying a Spice Girl?

Langeveldt

Soutie
He's the face of England, put it that way... And unlike the Royal Family, he seems to carry it off well, with a bit of talent and still managing to be a nice bloke.. I've seen worse decisions..

nibbs

International Captain
Not sure he deserves to be knighted but definitely given an honour. Maybe a CBE or OBE? (Is there a CBE BTW?)
roseyboy, i'm pretty sure there is such a thing as a CBE, as my late grandfather had been bestowed that honour. i can never remember what it stands for though. I think it stands for Commander of the Order of the British Empire or something like that. Not sure how it differs to an OBE.

HeathDavisSpeed

What has Beckham done to deserve any sort of honour? The guy is a walking advertisement for the wonders of a full frontal lobotomy. When he opens his mouth, you are guaranteed to hear at best a monosyllabic sound bite. Surely there needs to be something positive about a person if they are going to be given a gong? I cannot think of a single thing that I could possibly look up to David Beckham for where there aren't a hundred more interesting and entertaining role models.

Perm

He has done a great job for Soccer over the years, but I'm not sure whether he deserves to be knighted.

Matteh

roseyboy, i'm pretty sure there is such a thing as a CBE, as my late grandfather had been bestowed that honour. i can never remember what it stands for though. I think it stands for Commander of the Order of the British Empire or something like that. Not sure how it differs to an OBE.
That's basically right. A CBE differs from an OBE, mostly due to the spelling.

HeathDavisSpeed

A CBE is 'better' than an OBE. Above a knighthood, you can have CMG, KCMG and GCMG which are the awards for the Order of St Michael and St George and spawned the classic gag from Yes, Minster that CMG stands for 'Call me God', KCMG stands for 'Kindly Call me God' and GCMG for 'God Calls me God'. Can't think of anyone famous who has a 'CMG' mind.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Pathetic. England might as well pack up their bongos and give it away if this isn't a wind-up.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No. Won nothing for England & so far won nothing for Real Madrid either. Silly high-pitched voice, chavvy tattoos (has a knight ever had a tattoo on his neck, btw?), multi-untalented wife and will shill for just about anything if the price is right. He's the ultimate triumph of style over substance; usually the best known practitioners of a sport (Federer, Schumacher, Woods, Jordan) are famous for being the best in their respective fields, Beckham has never once been the best footballer.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
He's the face of England, put it that way... And unlike the Royal Family, he seems to carry it off well, with a bit of talent and still managing to be a nice bloke.. I've seen worse decisions..
How come you get 2 votes to everyone else getting only one ? Are you using 2 user names or how does that work ?:laugh:

Fiery

Banned
Ffs. It makes little difference to me being non-English, but this is just sad.
Agreed, "Sir David Beckham" would be an absolute joke. My main memory of him is his moment of stupidity to get sent off in the Argentina WC game in '98.