• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Beckham is to be knighted - does he deserve to be knighted?

David Beckham -does he deserve knighthood ?

• Total voters

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed, really.

I haven't voted on this poll for that reason, I wouldn't knight anyone myself. If I was in charge (quaint ol' leftie that I am), I'd ditch the entire pointless charade.
yep...if there had been a :yawn: who cares option, i might have voted...:)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
a meaningless, ceremonial title...do people really care for knighthoods and such in this day and age? everything tied to the now defunct monarchy is an anachronism in a democratic, modern-day britain...
Id take one in a heart beat and it would be a source of great pride.

All countries have honours and Britain has a system that may seem archaic but has a wealth of history and tradition.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member

All countries have honours and Britain has a system that may seem archaic but has a wealth of history and tradition.
good for you, it's not the archaic system that irks me so much, all countries have their own set of deep traditions...i just see it as disgusting that a very wealthy, albeit ceremonial monarchy still exists in a democratic britain, they really serve no practical purpose that i can see...the monarchy for me represents the imperialistic history and the tradition of colonization and plunder of other cultures by the british empire and recognitions or awards from them cannot be separated from that specific identity...not that i'd ever be offered one, but i would take it as an insult and throw it back in their face...

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach

Same

I'm quite a bit of a Monarchist, suppose we could live without it, but on the same point can live with it. Shows a bit of sensibility and maturity IMO, managed to revolutionize a nation and give freedom and democracy without having to take the childish and violent approach of executing all those we didnt agree with. :)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
good for you, it's not the archaic system that irks me so much, all countries have their own set of deep traditions...i just see it as disgusting that a very wealthy, albeit ceremonial monarchy still exists in a democratic britain, they really serve no practical purpose that i can see...the monarchy for me represents the imperialistic history and the tradition of colonization and plunder of other cultures by the british empire and recognitions or awards from them cannot be separated from that specific identity...not that i'd ever be offered one, but i would take it as an insult and throw it back in their face...
Well, I'm against it instinctively, unlike CPR I wish it had been taken out root and branch, after the Civil war, and stayed that way.

Yet, now, even Tony Benn (once firebrand of the left), says that the entire thing is so deep-seated in our system that it would take decades to get rid of it all, and quite frankly who has the time or energy for it. Anyway the polls generally show the public in favour of the monarchy. Deep-seated apathy and a reluctance to change. Very British in many ways.

I'd like to think I wouldn't except one, but who knows. Ain't gonna happen though, so pointless conjecture, really.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I'd like to think I wouldn't except one, but who knows. Ain't gonna happen though, so pointless conjecture, really.
yeah i was just responding to goughy's conjecture....and i know it's not going away and i am not losing any sleep over it either...:)