• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Beckham is to be knighted - does he deserve to be knighted?

David Beckham -does he deserve knighthood ?

• Total voters

luffy

International Captain
Your just a dickhead kid that:

* Can't spell
* Balls haven't dropped
* Disrespects everyone
* The new hated one

cover drive man

International Captain
It's not just for football alone.
What else then, being one of the biggest causes for the WAG obsession which plagues today's sport and media? For being more pretty boy than actually doing his job, having no commitment for his team and getting off when someone offered more money?

On a related note, Was watching something with John Cleese the other day and thought, why not knight John Cleese? Thoughts?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What else then, being one of the biggest causes for the WAG obsession which plagues today's sport and media? For being more pretty boy than actually doing his job, having no commitment for his team and getting off when someone offered more money?

On a related note, Was watching something with John Cleese the other day and thought, why not knight John Cleese? Thoughts?
Have you actually ever watched David Beckham play? He gives 100% every game he plays in, FFS, to call him just a pretty-boy shows a total lack of watching football over the last decade or so, utterly commited in every match I've seen him. Not his fault if the press are obsessed with his talentless, stick-thin irritant of a wife.

I didn't know about him getting off for money, but frankly we've all been there.....

He also eschews the drinking culture of many of our footballers, so is a good role model in that way. He's not the most talented of players, but he's done everything with that talent he had. His work-rate used to be phenomenal.

There is something galling about someone upping sticks to move to the US of A for financial reasons, but enough about Cleese, he's a bit off-topic.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

So much wrong with this post, think before typing in future please.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I typed a reply to that post and then decided not to bother, you two did a good enoguh job it seems.

social

Given the people to whom knighthoods are handed out, a guy with 100+ caps and with his record of decency, charitable acts and contribution to the GDP seems like a reasonable candidate.

Forget his wife, voice, or whether he's a great footballer etc etc , he deserves it as much as most

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
a meaningless, ceremonial title...do people really care for knighthoods and such in this day and age? everything tied to the now defunct monarchy is an anachronism in a democratic, modern-day britain...

grecian

a meaningless, ceremonial title...do people really care for knighthoods and such in this day and age? everything tied to the now defunct monarchy is an anachronism in a democratic, modern-day britain...
Agreed, really.

I haven't voted on this poll for that reason, I wouldn't knight anyone myself. If I was in charge (quaint ol' leftie that I am), I'd ditch the entire pointless charade.

Looking back through the thread, I think I may have been harsh on CDM, it seems his view is the majority one. I can see his points really, he possibly didn't need savaging. He does seem to have flip-flopped himself, but that's probably a sign of tractability, which many around here could do with, TBH.

David Beckham is a sign of sleb culture, but there are many worse imho. I think people blaming him for starting it all, seem a tad reactionary. He at least has achieved something in life and has shown a certain dedication to something rather then just flagrant self-promotion. I suppose if you think of a knighthood as something particularly notable (I don't), and think of many others who were more deserving who didn't get one, then my vote would be for "no" too.