• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Beckham is to be knighted - does he deserve to be knighted?

David Beckham -does he deserve knighthood ?

• Total voters

Tom Halsey

International Coach
i ment as apposed to beckham!!!
Like it or not, Beckham has done considerably more in his career than Shearer. Anyone who denies that Beckham was one of the best players in the world late 90s-early 00s is blinkered, could you really say Shearer was one of the best players in the world in his pomp?

Shearer only ever won one trophy in his career (IIRC), and when he had a chance to make a big move he chose to go to Newcastle. While they'd had a very good season the previous season, United had a better season, and we were also in for him. Anyone managed by Keegan has the ability to self-destruct, and this was obviously advanced somewhat by Keegan's out of the blue decision to quit but IIRC they were about 4th when he quit anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Shearer was the best in the world of his kind for a good few years IMO

If Becks were to be knighted, it would basically be for his work in bringing the Olympics to England

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Shearer was the best in the world of his kind for a good few years IMO
Debatable, there were other goalscorers around at that time who scored as many goals as Shearer - Romario, Batistuta, and so on. Even Andy Cole sored 30+ in one season for Newcastle.

I'm not denying that Beckham being knighted is a bit of a joke (see my first post in this thread) however there have been worse choices, and IMO he deserves it more than Shearer.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Like it or not, Beckham has done considerably more in his career than Shearer. Anyone who denies that Beckham was one of the best players in the world late 90s-early 00s is blinkered, could you really say Shearer was one of the best players in the world in his pomp?

Shearer only ever won one trophy in his career (IIRC), and when he had a chance to make a big move he chose to go to Newcastle. While they'd had a very good season the previous season, United had a better season, and we were also in for him. Anyone managed by Keegan has the ability to self-destruct, and this was obviously advanced somewhat by Keegan's out of the blue decision to quit but IIRC they were about 4th when he quit anyway.
Haha, such tosh.
Shearer was pumping goals in for fun in the Premiership from its inception right up until last season. Scored for fun in an England shirt bar an 18 month barren period around 95 iirc.
By your argument you could argue that Matt le Tissier was also seriously average when in fact what let him down was the complete lack of work ethic, something which you can't accuse Shearer of having.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Haha, such tosh.
Shearer was pumping goals in for fun in the Premiership from its inception right up until last season. Scored for fun in an England shirt bar an 18 month barren period around 95 iirc.
By your argument you could argue that Matt le Tissier was also seriously average when in fact what let him down was the complete lack of work ethic, something which you can't accuse Shearer of having.
Scored for fun?! Scored 30 goals for England in his whole career IIRC, that's not scoring for fun. It's a pretty good record, nothing more, nothing less.

Shearer's best ability was pure goalscoring and he had equals in that in the early Prem, and if Cole can score 30+ for Newcastle I'd suggest that the quality of the opposition wasn't as high as it could have been.

Le Tissier was a completely different player to Shearer so I don't know why you've brought him into it.

EDIT: If you mean trophies - I'm not arguing Shearer was average - he wasn't. However, he didn't win very much in his career, so the same would go for Le Tissier.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Scored for fun?! Scored 30 goals for England in his whole career IIRC, that's not scoring for fun. It's a pretty good record, nothing more, nothing less.

Shearer's best ability was pure goalscoring and he had equals in that in the early Prem, and if Cole can score 30+ for Newcastle I'd suggest that the quality of the opposition wasn't as high as it could have been.

Le Tissier was a completely different player to Shearer so I don't know why you've brought him into it.

EDIT: If you mean trophies - I'm not arguing Shearer was average - he wasn't. However, he didn't win very much in his career, so the same would go for Le Tissier.
So what if he didn't win much? Brought Le Tissier into it because they wanted to play for 'their' clubs more than they wanted success, which frankly is an amazing attitude to have. Shearer scored 20+ in nearly every season that the Premiership has had, those he didn't score 20+ he was out for about 6 months with ligament injuries (which happened twice iirc). Not forgetting that he scored 30+ in a season 3 times, sure Cole did it once, but never again and the only other person who got close in that period was Fowler who never scored 30. Performance wise he's far outstripped Beckham for mine.

ripper868

International Coach
Beckham should not be knighted.

Matteh, Beckham wasnt a forward so cant really compare the two on goals (if thats what you were doing) beckham is more famous for his free kicks and crosses isnt he

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
If you look at some sportsmen who have been knighted Steve Redgrave,Alex Furgeson,Bobby Charlton.David Becham wouldent shine on there boots!!!

Tom Halsey

International Coach
So what if he didn't win much? Brought Le Tissier into it because they wanted to play for 'their' clubs more than they wanted success, which frankly is an amazing attitude to have. Shearer scored 20+ in nearly every season that the Premiership has had, those he didn't score 20+ he was out for about 6 months with ligament injuries (which happened twice iirc). Not forgetting that he scored 30+ in a season 3 times, sure Cole did it once, but never again and the only other person who got close in that period was Fowler who never scored 30. Performance wise he's far outstripped Beckham for mine.
The point about the fact that he didn't win much is that people who have been knighted generally have won something important - probably the odd exception there but not off the top of my head.

Was there really very many out and out strikers that were any good in the early years of the Premiership? Ferdinand had a gun season or two, Fowler was gun for a while, and Shearer. So he didn't really have too much competition to beat. Had players such as Batistuta or Romario played in the early seasons in the Premiership it would have been utter carnage IMO.

Shearer's international record was good, but it doesn't compare with the greats of his time period. And, while he didn't play in a great side, he should have had adequate service to hammer goals past the likes of San Marino. In the European qualifying section for the World Cup/European Championships there are always a few dire sides who Geoff Boycott's grandmother could have done ok against.

No-one has yet provided me with a reason that Beckham wasn't one of the best players in the world in the late 90s-early 00s, because the fact is he was.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If you look at some sportsmen who have been knighted Steve Redgrave,Alex Furgeson,Bobby Charlton.David Becham wouldent shine on there boots!!!
That's not my argument, and looking through the thread I can't see many people who actually say Beckham deserves to be knighted. The point is that there have been worse choices.

headhunter

That's not my argument, and looking through the thread I can't see many people who actually say Beckham deserves to be knighted. The point is that there have been worse choices.
Personally i really dont mind who gets knighted.
My case is that there were better soccer players then bechkam.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
It's not just for football alone. If it was George Best would have been knighted but he wasn't exactly a role model now was he?

headhunter

It's not just for football alone. If it was George Best would have been knighted but he wasn't exactly a role model now was he?
That is a fair point if anyone was to be knighted on football skills alone he would of been a top candicate.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
my opinion is that without question he most certainly does, certainly if ian botham has been given one there is no reason why beckham shouldnt, his sporting ability alone perhaps does not merit this blessing....but the sheer amount of money he has brought into the countries economy is staggering, people have been knighted for less.

Arise sir David.