• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Beckham is to be knighted - does he deserve to be knighted?

David Beckham -does he deserve knighthood ?

• Total voters

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Same story for most celebs, they don't deserve squat and it demeans those who've genuinely earned these honours.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I was shocked to learn a few days back that David Beckham is to get a knighthood , courtesy of Tony Blair in New Year's honours list to be announced in the next few days..

I am not sure if he deserves it. He has yet to win a World Cup for England . He has flopped or done something stupid at every World Cup he has appeared for England , bar one. He has done well for Man U, but he got richly paid for his appearances for Man United. So I really find it difficult to accept, that he has done anything to deserve the knighthood.

Considering of all the English players who won the World Cup in 1966 only 3 or 4 got knight hoods, IIRC, does David really deserve it ? What about guys in the past then who were pretty good like Peter Shilton, Alan Shearer etc.

What do you think ?
What has Beckham done to deserve any sort of honour? The guy is a walking advertisement for the wonders of a full frontal lobotomy. When he opens his mouth, you are guaranteed to hear at best a monosyllabic sound bite. Surely there needs to be something positive about a person if they are going to be given a gong? I cannot think of a single thing that I could possibly look up to David Beckham for where there aren't a hundred more interesting and entertaining role models.
No. Won nothing for England & so far won nothing for Real Madrid either. Silly high-pitched voice, chavvy tattoos (has a knight ever had a tattoo on his neck, btw?), multi-untalented wife and will shill for just about anything if the price is right. He's the ultimate triumph of style over substance; usually the best known practitioners of a sport (Federer, Schumacher, Woods, Jordan) are famous for being the best in their respective fields, Beckham has never once been the best footballer.
I voted no. However, the reasons he is allegedly receiving one are nothing to do with his on-pitch achievements (where Jason was generous in saying he had performed well in even one major tournament) but for his contribution towards bringing the Olympics to Britain. If the other people who played similar roles are getting knighthoods for it, then it seems reasonable that Beckham should, alas I am unsure if they are.

Botham's getting one though :D

Nishant

International 12th Man
How does he desere to be knighted? for getting a few new hairstyles evry month or so and for setting a bad example! Thats just great isnt it! Not only that...he's not even that good for england and doesnt play in the english league anymore!

Nishant

International 12th Man
Just wondering - in what way does Beckham set a bad example? He doesn't act like a prima-donna.
sorry..im just parroting what others may have said...i just didnt like his hair style! (the one he got with hair only down the middle!) 8-)

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
ow let me welcome David Beckham to the wild, wild west
A state that's untouchable like Giggs' hairy chest
Everybodys wondering where he would go next
But L.A. is the town were goina see Becks
We in that sunshine state with that bomb ass Galaxy team
the state where ya never find a dance floor empty
And Becks be on a mission for them greens
lean mean money-makin-machine living clean
Hes been in the game for ten years makin teams blue
ever since the last time Dozzer was cool
Now it's '07 and they clock me and watch me
Diamonds shinin lookin like I robbed Liberace
It's all good, from Diego to tha Bay
Your city is tha bomb if your city makin pay
Throw up a seven if ya feel the same way
Mk puttin it down for
Californ-i-a

2-Shake it shake it baby
Shake it shake it baby
Shake it shake it mama
Shake it Cali
Shake it shake it baby
Shake it shake it shake it shake it...

Im on sale like Gareth Bale
California dreamin
Soon as I stepped on the scene
I'm hearin groupies screamin
Working for money and fame
the life of a west side playa where my heart lie
Only in Cali where I play with Landy now hes not a bad guy
In Manny we wear sarongs, thongs and I look fly
Dressed in Locs and khaki suits and ride is what we do
Flossin but have caution we collide with Tom Cruise
Famous cause we program worldwide
Let'em recognize from Longbeach to England
Kicking and running like a young man, it's west side
So you know the row won't bow down to no man
Say what you say
But give me that bomb beat from K
Let me serenade the streets of L.A.
From Oakland to Manc town
The Bay Area and back down
Cali is where they put they hat down
Give me love!

now make it shake...

Outro: Dre, 2Pac

uh, yeah, uh, longbeach in tha house, uh yeah
Oaktown, Oakland definately in tha house hahaha
Frisko, Frisko
hey, you know LA is up in this
Pasadina, where you at
yeah, Ingelwood, Ingelwood always up to no good
even Hollywood tryin to get a piece baby
Sacramento, sacramento where ya at? yeah

Throw it up y'all, throw it up, Throw it up
Let's show these fools how we do this on that west side
Cause you and I know it's tha best side

yeah, That's riight
west coast, west coast
uh, California Love
California Love

Someone posed that on a Man United forum when it was announced Becks was going to L.A.

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
of course he doesnot deserve a knighthood!!
he is only a moderately good soccer player.the are loads of english socceer players who deserve it more than HIM!!!