• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

State of Origin 1

Game 1 Winner:

• Total voters

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also the fact that Monaghan is going to Warrington count against him?
forget that, Monaghan is a decent first grader but hes just not an Origin player, if he was he'd be playing halfback for Manly and not hooker...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Monnas is in good form, but anyone who thinks his State of Orgin potential, has got issues IMO. Some players are just going to be only 1st grade standard.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Don't see why you'd drop Anasta, didn't play that badly, especially when he ran the ball.

In other news, Shillington's the best prop in the comp :ph34r:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Anasta looked threatening early when the forwards were doing their job, but kind of disapeared in the second half. He has a good kick on him, should have done more of the kicking than Mullen's pathetic efforts.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Anasta probably had one his better SOO matches. Really if any changes are going to be it would have to be the forward pack, that where the game was lost.

howardj

International Coach
KIte has played brilliantly for Australia in the past and he's been one of the form props in the NRL this year for Manly. I'm not a fan but he deserve his chance in Origin - he had a shocker though. I'd be surprised if he didn't play Game 2.

White's selection, on the other hand, was based on one good game against the Dragons in 2005, a good CVC appearance and a decent game just before Origin. He's not up to it - must go.

O'Meley has been injured. Has no-one even noticed that?
Yeah, White and Toupou out - guys like La Frannchi, Gallen, Bird need to be drafted.

I'd also axe Mullen - the team's interests, not blooding someone for the future, come first in such a cut-throat match.

howardj

International Coach
Kyle, i know you've had a thing for Priddis for years but saying those things about Bedsy is just stupid, he's been a great player for years and really he's been one of the best players on the field 75% of the time for every team he's played for...
Yeah, I suppose when your spend your weekdays (when most people are working) at home on Cricketweb, you're bound to come up with some bizarre remarks. lol

No doubt Buderus is a champion and deserves his place in the team.

howardj

International Coach
forget that, Monaghan is a decent first grader but hes just not an Origin player, if he was he'd be playing halfback for Manly and not hooker...
Yeah, I'd go with a recognised half like Kimmorley for sure.

Johnners

Yeah, White and Toupou out - guys like La Frannchi, Gallen, Bird need to be drafted.

I'd also axe Mullen - the team's interests, not blooding someone for the future, come first in such a cut-throat match.
Axing Mullen would be the stupidest thing to do now. He played well in patches, and poor in patches, but was hardly dire, unlike some of the big guys ahead of him. Not to mention the fact that it'd do wonders for his confidence, getting dropped when he certainly wasn't the worst player out there.

howardj

International Coach
Axing Mullen would be the stupidest thing to do now. He played well in patches, and poor in patches, but was hardly dire, unlike some of the big guys ahead of him. Not to mention the fact that it'd do wonders for his confidence, getting dropped when he certainly wasn't the worst player out there.
It's not about him and his feelings though, it's about what is best for the team. Me, personally, I can't see him (at least at this stage) putting his stamp on the game and guiding NSW to victory, which is what he should be doing wearing the number seven. He has hardly even done such a thing for Newcastle on more than one or two occasions.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think the best option would be to play Mullen off the bench, i know many say his a better 5/8 then half back, so he could come off the bench and play either 5/8, halfback or hooker. Farah deserves the spot, but really you need someone who can play a couple positions, rather then just one hooker and maybe halfback. That way you get a experienced half to guide the show, but you can still blood Mullen in the side.

Johnners

It's not about him and his feelings though, it's about what is best for the team. Me, personally, I can't see him (at least at this stage) putting his stamp on the game and guiding NSW to victory, which is what he should be doing wearing the number seven. He has hardly even done such a thing for Newcastle on more than one or two occasions.
It's about what's best for the team, and they're obviously trying to put the best team on the park, whilst looking foward to the future, you drop Mullen now, and you interupt the combinations in the NSW team, and you potentially ruin the confidence... and... send the kid you have tainted as your future backwards because his fowards in game 1 were ****.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It's about what's best for the team, and they're obviously trying to put the best team on the park, whilst looking foward to the future, you drop Mullen now, and you interupt the combinations in the NSW team, and you potentially ruin the confidence... and... send the kid you have tainted as your future backwards because his fowards in game 1 were ****.
Did the combinations work? Is it best for the team to have a halfback who can't win you a game. Really Gidley won most matches for the Knights this season and his loss was shown up today, as well as Mullen inability to lead side around the park without someone taking majority of the control. If we had a more experienced 5/8, it could work, but we don't so it might be time to look at other options. You got to win a series first and blood players 2nd.

Regardless of how crap the forwards were, could Mullen win you a game if they are on top. I don't think anyone can be 100% sure let alone 50/50, but with Kimmorley or even Orford 9/10 they will.

Simon

Mullen might be injured anyway, if they pick him for game two id look at moving him to second reciever, not as much pressure there. Kimmorley would have to come in as well...

Mister Wright

Mullen shouldn't have been picked in the first place.

NSW might be forced in to picking players with their current injury toll.

Simon

think you are being a bit tough on the kid kyle, he's looked the part in first grade so far, fair enough his origin debut wasnt great but he's one of the best young players in the game no doubt. my only concern is that they have used the excuse of picking him cause hes the future, but really every origin series is a new year an no matter how old someone is (eg kimmorley, orford, gower etc...) the best team for that particular year should be picked...

Mister Wright

think you are being a bit tough on the kid kyle, he's looked the part in first grade so far, fair enough his origin debut wasnt great but he's one of the best young players in the game no doubt. my only concern is that they have used the excuse of picking him cause hes the future, but really every origin series is a new year an no matter how old someone is (eg kimmorley, orford, gower etc...) the best team for that particular year should be picked...
I think he'll go far. But, it's plain to see that he's clearly not ready for Origin. At least not with this coach and the side that they're picking.

Qld, just have such a strong side atm, that will be around for a while in their current state.

NSW are facing their 2nd series loss in a row and a big likelyhood of a 3-0 Maroonwash, so in the next game they need to pick a halfback, that if the forwards do their job is going to win them a game on June 13, not 2010.

Not that it would worry me, pick the same side for all I care.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mister Wright said:
NSW are facing their 2nd series loss in a row and a big likelyhood of a 3-0 Maroonwash, so in the next game they need to pick a halfback, that if the forwards do their job is going to win them a game.
Such a player from NSW doesn't exist at present though - especially with Anasta at five-eighth (not saying he's a bad player, but he's not the sort of player who's going to help out the halfback with his role). Kimmorley has failed at Origin level before and has quite a narrow range in what styles he can play, Gower's form has been dire for two years and Orford simply isn't very good, not to mention the fact that his form has been dire itself this year (and don't bring up the field goal, please, because then we'd just pick Minichiello there - he didn't have a particularly good game removing that). Brett Finch has had success before, but he's been dreadfully inconsistent for Parra this year, and he's been working hard at changing his game to suit the five-eighth role anyway.

All this talk of preparing for the future and preventing confidence drops etc - the fact is, you pick your best team for each match. And as much as the selectors will say they are "preparing for the future" with Mullen, the fact is - they just don't have ANY faith in any of the other options. Mullen really is the best we have, and the fact that no-one really knows a great deal about his game other than the fact that he ripped junior league to shreds is something that will work in NSW's favour.