• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well, all the hard work earlier in the thread has been undone by these pithy two-line posts.

Including this one.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agreed too, pathetic

Union > League IMO

But the standard of both in Australia is very poor due to so many players going to England and Europe.
Dunno that I agree with you there on the standard of league in Australia, though the Super League is definitely the biggest threat to League in Australia.
Apparently the new Rugby Union rules in the Sydney comp are making the game much better to watch. Anyone know if they are to be used at provincial/ international level in teh future?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
They are being tested in the second-tier comp over here as well starting in a couple of months. If the feedback is all good, they'll be introduced next year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well, all the hard work earlier in the thread has been undone by these pithy two-line posts.

Including this one.
Haha yeah, it's turned into "Which code do you prefer" thread. Well, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em, I suppose.

League for mine. Don't mind union and AFL in theory, but I can't get into them as much as I'd like. Not a fan of soccer at all unless the game is of some massive significance - and even then I generally only watch it out of the obligation of being a sports fan.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It's just a shame, Prince, as I feel the first few posts were well considered, and all union supporters were happy to concede our game needs a serious tidy-up, but then the quality of discussion took a massive nose-dive.

As I said on the SOO thread, I really enjoyed the second half of Wednesday's game, even though it was a bit one-sided. Queensland were so incredibly clinical that, regardless of which code you follow, you couldn't fail but be impressed by their execution. I find it harder to watch NRL, because the monotony of many league games doesn't appeal to me, but I would certainly say the competition is a heck of a lot more even than most in the world.

_Ed_

The only time i watch AFL when the Swans aren't playing is if i have an overnighter that night and need some sleep during the day on Saturdays. Pretty boring sport even when you understand the rules to an extent. Not enough physically contract and all the good physically contract i.e that Johnson hit in that International rules they try and take out of the game. If they ever bring back the days of 80s when anything was allowed i might watch the game more, but ATM there too many pansy running around.
Not much physical contact in cricket either that I can think of, doesn't stop me liking that sport.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Not much physical contact in cricket either that I can think of, doesn't stop me liking that sport.
But no one ever excepts cricket to be a full body contract sport, but they say AFL is meant to be. I remember when i first started watching in the mid 90s, it was very tough at times. Now its just fallen away with a poor rule changes IMO. Bring back the days when you could knock the crap out of the guy off the ball.

_Ed_

But no one ever excepts cricket to be a full body contract sport, but they say AFL is meant to be. I remember when i first started watching in the mid 90s, it was very tough at times. Now its just fallen away with a poor rule changes IMO. Bring back the days when you could knock the crap out of the guy off the ball.
Oh right, fair enough.

I don't care about that though, I love watching it for the skill involved.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Why does it bother you??

You can't really expect everyone to make massive long posts explaining why they like a certain thing and all that.
He's got a point tho. Prince didn't ask which football code was the best, he asked why he didn't like Rugby union when he loves league. Someone just saying that "I prefer league, union sucks" (my paraphrase) doesn't really add much to the debate.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
He's got a point tho. Prince didn't ask which football code was the best, he asked why he didn't like Rugby union when he loves league. Someone just saying that "I prefer league, union sucks" (my paraphrase) doesn't really add much to the debate.
Yeah, I guess that it was sort of my making when I didn't really read the whole thread. My bad.

magpie_man

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ok, I'll elaborate:
A. The snobby, old boy culture of union in Australia;
B. The emphasis on kicking penalty/field goals;
C. The ridiculous delusions of being a "world game" ("play rugby and see the world", "it was a choice of Rome or Mt Druitt for [insert league convert's name here] etc).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ok, I'll elaborate:
A. The snobby, old boy culture of union in Australia;
B. The emphasis on kicking penalty/field goals;
C. The ridiculous delusions of being a "world game" ("play rugby and see the world", "it was a choice of Rome or Mt Druitt for [insert league convert's name here] etc).
WRT to "A." I definitely have some sympathy, actually. It's a very similar sort of thing over here; union treated league very much as 3rd class citizens before the code went open. I know a lot of league fans over here were pretty galled when the Challenge Cup final went to Twickenham as it was viewed as something of a betrayal of what the former Northern Union stood for.

"B." is an issue in union too. The nature of contested possession at breakdowns means there will inevitably be some infringement at rucks as players seek to gain that extra advantage by holding onto the ball for a second too long, using a hand in a ruck to send the ball back on their side or killing the ball to prevent a try-scoring chance. A lot of such infringements are done with a fair degree of cynicism (particularly the latter, players often rather conceding 3 points than a potential 7), so it is only fair they are properly punished. I'm rather less enamoured with drop-goals tho & personally think three points for them is too many. They're more-or-less impossible to defend if the ref is correctly enforcing the offside rule and can be used as a soft point-scoring option. I personally would have no objection to them being valued at one point which would mean they'd be more likely to only be used in extremis for game-breaking purposes as in league.

"C." is just jealousy tho, surely? The dowdy little sister casting an envious look at her more desirable & well-travelled glamorous elder sibling. :p

magpie_man

School Boy/Girl Captain
"B." is an issue in union too. The nature of contested possession at breakdowns means there will inevitably be some infringement at rucks as players seek to gain that extra advantage by holding onto the ball for a second too long, using a hand in a ruck to send the ball back on their side or killing the ball to prevent a try-scoring chance. A lot of such infringements are done with a fair degree of cynicism (particularly the latter, players often rather conceding 3 points than a potential 7), so it is only fair they are properly punished.
See to me that just shows that the game is fundamentally flawed. And the rule changes and "improvements" are just making it look more and more like rugby league. Funny that.

"C." is just jealousy tho, surely? The dowdy little sister casting an envious look at her more desirable & well-travelled glamorous elder sibling. :p
Perhaps, although to me it's akin to Britney Spears being more "desirable & well-travelled" than Sarah Blasko.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
I know a lot of league fans over here were pretty galled when the Challenge Cup final went to Twickenham as it was viewed as something of a betrayal of what the former Northern Union stood for.
It was, and when they went back to Twickenham last year, it was a terrible disappointment. Awful stadium.

The nature of contested possession at breakdowns means there will inevitably be some infringement at rucks
From what I've heard, that's an understatement. Met some ex-union referee or other once upon a time. He said that at every single ruck, more or less, there was someone doing something that he could, and probably should, penalise, but he were forced to pick and choose because blowing up after every single tackle would turn the game into a farce. What's the point of having the rules if you can't enforce them because it would "ruin the game"?

Last edited:

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
I think for long time followers of rugby the penalties, infringements at the ruck and drop goals are an accepted part of the game. I know, for example, that most games will start with shots at goal -- 3-0 lead, a 6-0 lead, etc. That's how the game builds. I'm also aware that you're better off taking the three points & that the drop goal is a powerful weapon, too. Besides, penalty kicking is a beautiful thing. Drop goals, too. It's nothing like the place kicking in league or American football.

As for infringements, the players need to adjust to the way the ref is calling the game. It's no different than soccer or basketball. It even happens in league, particularly with the off-side rule.

One thing I don't like about league is the constant referrals to the video referee.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
One thing I don't like about league is the constant referrals to the video referee.
On a vaguely related note, are union rules and interpretations the same the world over? Found it hilarious during the 2000 League "World Cup" (ha!) when an Australian referee tried to refer something to the video referee to only be told by his English touch judge "you can't do that up here, mate." There are toddlers who could organise a sport better than the guys in charge of League.