Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does England struggle to produce an abundance of quality strikers?

Why does England struggle to produce an abundance of quality strikers?

Well i really can't say if this has been the case throghout the history of the national side, but at least through the 90's to currently fron Lineker, Shearer, Owen & Rooney, England have just had one/two top-class striker accompanied buy a set of average one's which is poor compared to most of the major football nations.

Just look at things currently Brazil always are full of fire-power, Spain, Italy, France, Holland, Argentina have atleast 4/5 top quality strikers to call on while Portugal, Germany & Sweden probably have the same problem as England where we just Owen/Rooney with a set of mediocre players (although some may have been fairly useful i.e Sherringham & Crouch) which IMO is very strange given the amount of talent their is in mid-field & defense & the fact that no young striker anywhere can be said to be another top-quality goal-scoring force up front.

I don't know if its a problem with the youth system or whatever but given that other area's are so stocked with talent how come producing quality strikers seems to be such a rare commodity for England over the past 15 years?

Football thread IMO.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Same reason why India struggles to produce fast bowlers.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Football thread IMO.
    It's not domestic football, though
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Same reason why India struggles to produce fast bowlers.
    The pitches aren't helpful?

Anyway, the answer to your question, aussie, is that we do not need an abundance, we have the master:

took that myself, good eh

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    It's not domestic football, though
    Will remember that come the non-NRL state of origin matches.

EDIT: Damn the rugby league thread! Guy is sooo dead for that.

U19 Cricketer

Just create a general soccer/football thread then.

I have no idea what you're going on about, but this board would be dull as hell if it was simply rigid threads for each sport...

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen

Fairly sure there's an Origin Thread somewhere if you can be arsed to search for it.

Anyway, WRT the matter in hand I'd disagree with aussie's initial assertion that it's been a problem for the last 15 years. When we had Sir Alan banging them in the mid-late 90s we had reserves of the calibre of Sir Les & guys like Matt Le Tissier & Mad Stan (who we'd kill for nowadays) hardly got a look in at international level.

IMHO the reason that the problem has become more pronounced is that there are fewer English players playing in the top flight than ever. Someone like Defoe, who's a fixture in England squads, doesn't get a regular start for the Spuds. Premiership teams have no direct duty to serve the England team, of course & ultimately a lot of fans prefer success for their club over their country.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

The words "golden generation my arse" spring to mind tbh

A golden generation that basically consists of two world-class midfielders that can't play together, a drug-taking, arrogant, dire human being at centre back, a goalkeeper who, let's face it, isn't exactly great, a money-mad wanker of a left-back, a great but crocked centre-forward and a hot-headed scouse manc. And Darren Bent.

Dire.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Fairly sure there's an Origin Thread somewhere if you can be arsed to search for it.
    Two iirc.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    very strange given the amount of talent their is in mid-field & defense
    Not really. How many defenders and midfielders do England have that are genuinely world class? At a push, possibly Neville and Gerrard.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Back in the mid-late 90s all the talk was on how England produces more strikers than anyone else and how the then current young players would be a legendary group by 2004 and 2006. That group included guys like Jeffers, Owen, Defore, Joachim, Scholes, Cadamarteri*cough* etc

It just obviously hasnt panned out that way. I dont think there is an issue with England producing strikers I just think people overreact when things are good and also when things dont look so rosy.

These guys also had a tough task of taking the mantle from a very good group including Fowler, Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Le Tis, Cole etc

I also think there is an English disease that underrates English talent compared to the more exotic and fashionable foreign players (maybe less so now than it was).

I dont think England are particularly worse off than many other countries, especially since things are at a particular low right now. Give it a few years and it will right itself. I dont think there is anything fundamentally wrong with the system
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I also think there is an English disease that underrates English talent compared to the more exotic and fashionable foreign players (maybe less so now than it was).
    I'd say the exact reverse was true, actually. We're forever talking England & English players up only to end up with egg all over our faces when we crash & burn against less heralded but more skillful & better organised teams.

The Gerrard/Lampard situation is a case in point. Anyone with the vaguest acquaitance with the sport can see they're too similar as players & seem to be too ****ing dim to work out how to play with each other. What's needed is a strong manager who'll have the testes to take the issue on & drop one of them; instead we have "Not Bloody" Steve McClaren who continues to attempt to make a system around the big name players rather than vice versa.

17.5m for Hargreaves is also insanity (when you think 10.5m got the Spuds Berbatov last year) which can only be due to his putative Englishness.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information