• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever British manager

Greatest Ever British Manager?

• Bill Struth ( Rangers )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Symon (East Fife, Rangers )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Personally I'd go for Sir Alex Ferguson, but here's breakdown of their achievements.

Bob Paisley - Liverpool - 6 League Titles, 3 European Cups, 1 UEFA Cup, 5 Shields,
3 League Cups, 1 European Super Cup

Sir Alex Ferguson - Manchester United - 9 League Titles, 1 European Cup, 5 FA Cups, 5 Shields, 2 League Cups, 1 Cup Winners Cup, 1 Intercontinetal Cup, 1 European Super Cup
Aberdeen - 3 League Titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 1 Scottish League Cup,
1 Cup Winners Cup, 1 European Super Cup

Willie Maley - Celtic - 16 League Titles, 14 Scottish Cups, 14 Glasgow Cups, 19 Glasgow Charity Cups.

Bill Struth - Rangers - 18 League Titles, 10 Scottish Cups, 2 Scottish League Cups

Jock Stein - Dunfermline - 1 Scottish Cup
Celtic - 10 League Titles, 8 Scottish Cups, 6 Scottish League Cups, 1 European Cup

Scott Symon - East Fife - 1 Scottish League Cup
Rangers - 6 League Titles, 5 Scottish Cups, 4 Scottish League Cups,

Matt Busby - Manchester United - 5 League Titles, 2 FA Cups, 1 European Cup, 5 Shields

Walter Smith - Scotland - 1 European Youth Championship
Rangers - 7 League Titles, 3 Scottish Cups, 3 Scottish League Cups,

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Herbert Chapman. Won (or at least laid the foundations for) three consecutive league titles with two different clubs: Hudderfield (24, 25, 26) & Arsenal (33, 34, 35). Sadly the great man died of pnuemonia in 1934, so didn't live to see the 2nd & 3rd titles at Arsenal, but it was certainly his team. The feat wasn't repeated until Liverpool did it it 82, 83 & 84. Impressive IMHO.

Can't ignore Shankly, Clough, Ramsey, Cullis or Catterick either.

roseboy64

Considered Chapman as well. Ramsey was a thought too but never heard of Cullis and Catterick.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Not enough trophies. Worked off a minimum of eight.
You have to be joking, right?

For a start, Clough won 2 Championships, 2 European Cups and 4 League Cups (plus he won the second division twice, which I presume you aren't counting), which, unless my maths has seriously gone to pot, adds up to eight.

Secondly, all the managers in your poll, Busby aside perhaps, managed big sides and were far more likely to win trophies (especially the Celtic/Rangers managers listed) than Shankly and Clough, who took their sides from in the second division to the top of the English game. Their acheivements have to be measured in an entirely different way

Last edited:

Ash_A55

U19 Captain
Ye the Rangers/Celtic managers in there are a joke. Its easy for them to win something, its 50% at end of season, only two teams in Scotland.

roseboy64

You have to be joking, right?

For a start, Clough won 2 Championships, 2 European Cups and 4 League Cups (plus he won the second division twice, which I presume you aren't counting), which, unless my maths has seriously gone to pot, adds up to eight.

Secondly, all the managers in your poll, Busby aside perhaps, managed big sides and were far more likely to win trophies (especially the Celtic/Rangers managers listed) than Shankly and Clough, who took their sides from in the second division to the top of the English game. Their acheivements have to be measured in an entirely different way
Hmm............You may have a point there but that's what Other's for. Just be glad I didn't put tub of lard.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
Cloughy for mine. He took Harlepool to the 2nd division (that would be the Championship nowadays), won the league with Derby (that would be Preston winning the Premiership nowadays) and took Nottingham Forest to consecutive European Cups (that would be Southampton winning back-to-back Champions League trophies nowadays).

And it is an absolute crime that Scott Symon is on this list and Bill Nicholson isn't.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Shankly and Clough are close IMO.

Clough would be a sentimental choice for me as my Dad was a huge fan and there was a lot of Forest talk around my house whilst I was growing up.

I loved Paisley as well as he was in charge of Liverpool when I was getting passionately into football as a kid.

I guess Ill vote other.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Don't think it matters that much that Clough and Shankly aren't there, because Paisley should take this anyway.

If Ferguson wins this then it shows how blinkered Man U fans are. Paisley was more successful, and Liverpool continued to dominate after he left. Time will tell if United do the same.

roseboy64

Well for Ferguson to win that many Scottish titles over Celtic and Rangers is extraordinary IMO and then re-invigorating Man Utd and IMHO surpassing Busby's acheivements( although he was hampered), which many tried and failed to do before Fergie came in. Also, with Aberdeen winning a european trophy? A combined 35 trophies, 25 with Man Utd and 10 with Aberdeen is brilliant. Not only that but transforming the youth system, and being as approachable a manager to young players as can be, even John Terry can attest to that having been suited by United.