• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest ever British manager

Greatest Ever British Manager?

• Bill Struth ( Rangers )

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scott Symon (East Fife, Rangers )

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Exactly. For something to be British, it'd have to come from Great Britain.
wiki said:
Lawrence Philip Sanchez (born October 22, 1959 in London, England) is a former Northern Irish football player, who is the current manager of Fulham.

The son of an Ecuadorian father and a Northern Irish mother, Sanchez went to Presentation College, a private boys' school in Reading.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used the English FA approach of trying to only appoint English managers to the England job. He was the manager of NI, so therefore he must be NIish.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I used the English FA approach of trying to only appoint English managers to the England job. He was the manager of NI, so therefore he must be NIish.
He was enough of an Ulsterman to have played for them a couple of times, but anyway Northern Ireland, both politically & geographically, is part of Britain anyway.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
He was enough of an Ulsterman to have played for them a couple of times, but anyway Northern Ireland, both politically & geographically, is part of Britain anyway.
Not part of Britain, but part of the UK, however folk from the UK's nationality is...yep, British.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not part of Britain, but part of the UK, however folk from the UK's nationality is...yep, British.
Hmm. We've had this debate before, as much as the Irish might object, mainland Ireland is part of what's popularly called the British Isles, so geographically they are part of Britain by that definition. Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain, but then neither is the Isle of Wight & I reckon you can call that British fairly unproblematically.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well for me it's in the name, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Doesn't really matter though.

Don't like the term British Isles though, because I don't regard the Republic as remotely British. That's just me though.

Saying that, I was happy to get on their WC94 bandwago. But Aldo was playing...

Matteh

Well for me it's in the name, United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Doesn't really matter though.
That was the point i was getting at, hence why i laughed when someone posted that with Northern Ireland in bold basically proving my point. Northern Ireland isn't a part of Great Britain and therefore as such anyone from there isn't British.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That was the point i was getting at, hence why i laughed when someone posted that with Northern Ireland in bold basically proving my point. Northern Ireland isn't a part of Great Britain and therefore as such anyone from there isn't British.
Great Britain isn't the same as Britain tho. Great Britain just means the big Island that has Scotland, Wales & England on it. If you exclude anywhere from outside of it as not being British it means anyone from the Isle of Wight, Anglesey, Orkney, Shetland, the Scilly Isles and so on isn't British either.

Matteh

They are considered parts of England, Wales and Scotland though. Something like the Channel Islands are more along the lines you're getting at. The Britain thing is people being naturally lazy with language and in finding shortcuts to save time in speech they've dropped the Great part from Great Britain.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'll just reiterate my standing on this discussion:

- Northern Ireland is not part of Britain
- Their citizens have a choice of nationality, British, Irish or both. As such, although it is not, IMO, a part of Britain, the people can be regarded as British, which if they are Protestants they generally consider themselves to be.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I thought the last selection in a poll was supposed to be the joke one, not the third, fourth, sixth and eighth?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Herbert Chapman. Won (or at least laid the foundations for) three consecutive league titles with two different clubs: Hudderfield (24, 25, 26) & Arsenal (33, 34, 35). Sadly the great man died of pnuemonia in 1934, so didn't live to see the 2nd & 3rd titles at Arsenal, but it was certainly his team. The feat wasn't repeated until Liverpool did it it 82, 83 & 84. Impressive IMHO.
Was just browsing this thread and saw this - sorry for massive dig but didn't feel it warranted a new thread.

Chapman, so I've read, shouldn't even have been managing post the Great War. He got banned for illegal payments while at Leeds (I believe Leeds Athletic, before the Dirty version came along, though I could be wrong as I can't remember the dates), and then got this overturned. Then, at Arsenal, there was yet more controversy over payment - this does not equal great IMO.

Still think it's between Busby and Shankly, yet because Shankly isn't an option and Walter Smith is (!), Busby gets my vote.

Last edited:

Matteh

Walter Smith won 8 on the trot iirc, think he's justified in being on this list.