• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Giro d'Italia

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
It's kicking off as I type with the TTT.

Who are you supporting?

I follow Credit Agricole myself, and I'd like to see any of the English riders do well.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Haven't watched any Pro Cycling for ages. I used to be a big ONCE - Eroski fan, but they have disbanded now IIRC, Joseba Beloki was always the favourite rider.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bit of a CA fan myself, what with Hushovd riding for them. Can't see any of the GC candidates for the Giro not being doped, though. :@ (with the possible exception of Caucchioli/Bellotti of CA, who are awful anyway and will struggle to make the top 20) Good race today by CA, amazed they made eighth without Hushovd getting anywhere (fell off in first hill). Bodrogi, possibly Roche, must have been riding his arse off.

Results
1 Liquigas 33.35 (Di Luca, Nibali, Pellizotti)
2 Astana 33.51 (Savoldelli)
3 CSC 34.08 (A Schleck, Arvesen)
4 Lampre-Fondital 34.17 (Cunego, Bruseghin)
5 Discovery Channel 34.27 (Popovych - crashed from a podium?, Hincapie)
6 Acqua & Sapone-Caffè 34.38 (Garzelli)
7 Tinkoff Credit Systems 34.42 (Commesso, Ignatiev)
8 Crédit Agricole 34.51 (Caucchioli)
9 Caisse d'Epargne 35.01 (Arroyo?)
10 Quickstep-Innergetic 35.01 (Bettini)
11 Saunier Duval-Prodir 35.03 (Simoni)
12 Predictor-Lotto 35.06 (Cioni, McEwen)
13 Gerolsteiner 35.10 (Rebellin)
14 Milram 35.11 (Petacchi :p )
15 Cofidis 35.16 (Parra, Duclos-Lassalle)
16 T-Mobile 35.23 (Barry, Merckx)
17 Rabobank 35.23 (Rasmussen)
18 Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 35.39 (Sella, Mazzanti, Pozzovivo)
19 Bouygues Telecom 35.45 (Voeckler)
20 Ag2r Prévoyance 35.55 (Nocentini)
21 Euskaltel-Euskadi 36.28 (why are they here)
22 Française Des Jeux 36.28 (Da Cruz...Veikkanen?)

Was so funny seeing Di Luca shouting at his helper Gasparotto today. "Who do you think you are, just because you won the Italian Championship two years ago you're not supposed to take the maglia rosa from the captain!"

You might want to take a look at this thread, it's basically functioned as an official cycling thread since about November. Mainly Matteh and Craigos writing in it though.

Last edited:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Can't see any of the GC candidates for the Giro not being doped, though.
Cynic! :cool:

Didn't hear that Hushovd had fallen off, is he ok? British Eurosport's coverage was awful, they didn't show Credit Agricole once, they were just focusing on QuickStep and Astana the whole time. Speaking of which, where is Kloeden for Astana?

I'm going to throw myself wholeheartedly now after Kent's abysmal performance today. I think I'll take a sabbatical from cricket :@

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Cynic! :cool:

Didn't hear that Hushovd had fallen off, is he ok? British Eurosport's coverage was awful, they didn't show Credit Agricole once, they were just focusing on QuickStep and Astana the whole time. Speaking of which, where is Kloeden for Astana?
"Fallen off" as in "failing to keep up with the pace". Probably still in poor form, didn't get to ride any classics due to illness. Hopefully he saved his energy for tomorrow, haven't heard any interviews with him.

Blame RAI for the British Eurosport coverage. We didn't get pics from CA either (presumably since they're French and don't have any good Italians), but since NRK (our BBC) have two commentators on the spot they just about noticed CA crossing the line. (However, the info on Hushovd only came about half an hour later.)

Klöden is training for the Tour, I think. He's a pure GC rider and didn't go to Astana to be helper for an old man wanting to win his last title. Plus it gives Astana a chance to show off their Kazakhs.

Craig

World Traveller
How dire is a team must be if Euskatel Euskadi beat can beat them. Look out for Tinkoff's Ivan Rovny - only 19 years old.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How dire is a team must be if Euskatel Euskadi beat can beat them. Look out for Tinkoff's Ivan Rovny - only 19 years old.
FdJ tied with them rather than lost out to them. Imagine they just did it second.

Craig

World Traveller
Not good for Simoni to lose that much time. Mind you he and the likes of Mayo are dire against the clock anyway. Of course the bonus in Liquigas winning is that that they had a Brit Charly Wegelius (despite being born in Finland) in the team.

Too bad he can't win the Saj because: "White was definitely not impressed. "Things were working out alright [up to Popovych's crash] but that was a ridiculous f***ing team time trial, that's what it was. Have you seen the course? There is no f***ing need to have a course like that," he blasted."

- DC's Matthew White.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Too bad he can't win the Saj because: "White was definitely not impressed. "Things were working out alright [up to Popovych's crash] but that was a ridiculous f***ing team time trial, that's what it was. Have you seen the course? There is no f***ing need to have a course like that," he blasted."

- DC's Matthew White.
:laugh: Not bad.

It was the same course for everyone, too. :p

Two more stages down: McEwen took the first, Petacchi the second. Hushovd went down in a crash on the third stage and has horrible legs at present.

Di Luca took over the pink jersey on "aggregate-placing" after Gasparotto didn't bother to sprint. And he's won a stage to Montevergine Di Mercogliano before, so he might sit in pink after tomorrow too.

11 straight days of racing...(and they wonder why the athletes take drugs)

Last edited:

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
"Fallen off" as in "failing to keep up with the pace". Probably still in poor form, didn't get to ride any classics due to illness. Hopefully he saved his energy for tomorrow, haven't heard any interviews with him.

Blame RAI for the British Eurosport coverage. We didn't get pics from CA either (presumably since they're French and don't have any good Italians), but since NRK (our BBC) have two commentators on the spot they just about noticed CA crossing the line. (However, the info on Hushovd only came about half an hour later.)

Klöden is training for the Tour, I think. He's a pure GC rider and didn't go to Astana to be helper for an old man wanting to win his last title. Plus it gives Astana a chance to show off their Kazakhs.
My bad - he's still not looking good though. As for CA not having any good Italians, well, he may not be as high profile as some but I'd have thought that Caucchioli warranted a mention and some coverage?

Finding the Eurosport website not very helpful either - the BBC Sport site used to have a decent forum but it's all been changed around and now it's rubbish.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The overall standings basically means nothing until the first serious hill anyway. They're basically all divided in teams still from the time trial.

Craig

World Traveller
I'll go for Cunego to get the win. Can't write out George Hincapie I guess if he is in with a chance.