• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Lower League Football Thread

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hello football fans.

This thread is for discussion of the real thing: the lower leagues of all footballing nations. Then we can discuss them passionately, rather than making passing references to our team that get swamped away by discussion as to who has the shiniest boots in the Man U u-19 second string.

Obviously I'm not a moderator, but I believe it would be out of the spirit of this thread if any of the following (and others) were discussed here (unless discussed in such a way as to why the lower leagues are better):

Players like this:

are not welcome.

We want real teams, real players:

Real leagues:

I hope this thread is a success. It will hardly detract from the main English football thread, which is mainly Premiership and England's national side based. I know I'll still post in it, but from now on this will be my first port of call.

I know the season's nearly over; that's why i thought starting this thread now would be a good idea, as it gives us the chance to discuss our teams' transfers, without worrying about Steven Gerrard's signing-on fee.

And of course, the play-offs are currently happening. Oldham V Blackpool tomorrow. Jesus, picking a winner there is like asking if I'd rather drown or get shot in the mouth.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
People talk about the Championship playoffs being the biggest games in football... but next Sunday, if we win we're playing Bradford the season after - and if we lose, it's Droylsden.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I always wanted to find a lower league side to support, i guess this thread could be a good way to find out more about them. Which team has the highest number of Australian players in the Championships and which team has the lowest bugdet?

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
So that means we can talk from the Championship down and Under 21s/19s and the Reserves league and the Under 18 league and the Johnston Paint Trophy

just want to be clear here

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Can we talk about the NSW Preimer League too? :ph34r: You can't get lower then that or can you?

Manly United FC ftw

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I always wanted to find a lower league side to support, i guess this thread could be a good way to find out more about them. Which team has the highest number of Australian players in the Championships and which team has the lowest bugdet?
Can we talk about the NSW Preimer League too? :ph34r: You can't get lower then that or can you?

Manly United FC ftw

Any football that's not top tier. So I guess in Oz, that means non-A league.

As for your question, I don't know which side has the highest number of Aussies, but we have one at Tranmere, so you could choose us. Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, plays left-back or centre-back. Got a few goals for us last season, mainly during the Ashes, which made me suspicious, I don't know why:

He's the one in white ftr

As for lowest budget, that's impossible to answer really. Outside of the Championship, where there are still plenty of rich clubs, we're all pretty poverty-stricken. I guess things must be pretty dire at Boston United at the minute, who have just been relegated from League Two and gone into administration.

Angry about Leeds doing that btw

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
um. Dunno? I can't stop anyone talking about anything, I'm not a mod

The U21s would probably go in the main thread. See what other people think though.

pinchy81

International Vice-Captain
well can i talk about the Man City players in the England under 19s then? :p or is that just taking the hole out of the donut

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
No. Clearly not. That's International football, not lower league.

And no-one is to support Boston United. I'd rather Plymouth won stuff than they did.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Any football that's not top tier. So I guess in Oz, that means non-A league.

As for your question, I don't know which side has the highest number of Aussies, but we have one at Tranmere, so you could choose us. Shane Cansdell-Sherriff, plays left-back or centre-back. Got a few goals for us last season, mainly during the Ashes, which made me suspicious, I don't know why:
Shane Cansdell-Sherriff is pretty close to the national team, didn't realise he signed for Tranmere. When he was in Denmark (i think) there were talks he should move to a bigger club to push for a national spot. You probably know his not that great, but we got next to none half decent left sided players after all the retirements in defense (mainly left hand side), so his pretty close. He played for the Under23 a couple years back, him Jade North formed a pretty good combination as wing backs. I presume Tremere in the Championship.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, we're in League One. Missed out on the play-offs as well this year, while SKD's Oldham, and gypsy chavs Blackpool got in them :@

Sherriff's okay, prefer him at left-back to centre-back, and on a good day he's very good (for League One) but he has more off-days than most and can be a liability when he has these days

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, we're in League One. Missed out on the play-offs as well this year, while SKD's Oldham, and gypsy chavs Blackpool got in them :@

Sherriff's okay, prefer him at left-back to centre-back, and on a good day he's very good (for League One) but he has more off-days than most and can be a liability when he has these days
Is he still better going forward, then defending?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is he still better going forward, then defending?
I don't like to say that about a defender...but he is good going forwards, yeah, and probably more consistently reliable than he is at the back. Good to have at corners.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Having a look through some sides in the Championship, there are a few sides with Australians, a few sides with ex- Man Utd players. But what im really looking for is a side that builds its team on youth rather then just buying in experienced ex-EPL players to boast their sides. What sides in the Championship mainly relys on youth development? We actually any League side, not just Championship.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having a look through some sides in the Championship, there are a few sides with Australians, a few sides with ex- Man Utd players. But what im really looking for is a side that builds its team on youth rather then just buying in experienced ex-EPL players to boast their sides. What sides in the Championship mainly relys on youth development? We actually any League side, not just Championship.
Crewe would be the side with the best reputation for youth development - however most sides have to rely on that as they're all skint otherwise.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
At Tranmere, we have a good youth system, but unquestionably the best outside the Premiership is Crewe's